Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar happenings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a deck? Solar panels now a plug-in appliance | Cutting Edge - CNET News

spinraysolar_610x358.JPG

SpinRay Energy has developed a system that lets consumers install up to five solar panels on their decks and plug them into an outdoor power outlet. People can install one panel at a time, and get up to 1,000 watts of power with five installed.

I am SO confused by charging.

My EV life starts, allegedly, first week of June ... with a Leaf. For it, I placed a 220V level 2 charger on my garage wall.

I am guessing this kind of solar panel will not provide 220, 30 amp circuit for the level 2? Only 110.

So, if the Homeowners Assn approve it (now found Ill. House Bill 5429, which seems to protect me) I would use this solution for 110v charging only?

Then, when my Model S arrives next year, my existing level 2 is not compatible (without an adapter)? CHAdeMO is not compatible.

But I can use the 110v solar panel ... but wait about 2 weeks for a full charge for the 85kw battery?

My EV life starts, allegedly, first week of June ... with a Leaf. For it, I placed a 220V level 2 charger on my garage wall.

I am guessing this kind of solar panel will not provide 220, 30 amp circuit for the level 2? Only 110.

So, if the Homeowners Assn approve it (now found Ill. House Bill 5429, which seems to protect me) I would use this solution for 110v charging only?

Then, when my Model S arrives next year, my existing level 2 is not compatible (without an adapter)? CHAdeMO is not compatible.

But I can use the 110v solar panel ... but wait about 2 weeks for a full charge for the 85kw battery?

From the article linked above:

The main electrical components of the system have the UL safety certification, including the solar panel and the microinverter, which converts direct current from the panels to household alternating current. If there is a loss of grid power, the panels will stop delivering current because it could be a danger to line workers, according to the company.

So this panel "plugs in" to an outdoor electrical outlet, but feeds power INTO that outlet. It will reduce your total household energy usage (on that one side of the house 220v feed). But it can't be used to directly charge an EV.

You plug your panels into the grid. They reduce the amount (or put back) electricity purchased. This way the power is 100% utilized. You can use your 30A Level 2 charge (it is not CHAdeMO, it is SAE J1772) for the Model S with an adapter that comes with the car (it is quite small).

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/05/26/us-climate-germany-solar-idUKBRE84P0FI20120526

(Reuters) - German solar power plants produced a world record 22 gigawatts of electricity per hour - equal to 20 nuclear power stations at full capacity - through the midday hours on Friday and Saturday, the head of a renewable energy think tank said.

Germany has nearly as much installed solar power generation capacity as the rest of the world combined and gets about four percent of its overall annual electricity needs from the sun alone. It aims to cut its greenhouse gas emissions by 40 percent from 1990 levels by 2020.

Good for solar, but I'd be interested in talking to the Germany utilities' system operators. With this much power flowing from unpredictable generation sources, they were probably sweating bullets that a fluffy cloud might float over a large solar array and have a serious impact. PV without storage is operationally very scary.

Good for solar, but I'd be interested in talking to the Germany utilities' system operators. With this much power flowing from unpredictable generation sources, they were probably sweating bullets that a fluffy cloud might float over a large solar array and have a serious impact. PV without storage is operationally very scary.

There's plenty of fluffy clouds floating in Germany. :)

That's a bit of PV FUD right there. With the amount of PV Germany has distributed over the entire country, it would take a storm front quickly sweeping over a significant portion of the country in the middle of the day to cause issues - and even then that would be easily forecasted so they would have their thermal plants ready to spin up as it occurred. Many studies have confirmed that distributed generation offsets most of the intermittency issues that can plague a single large plant.

VolkerD's link above has a link to actual production data from SMA which is the major inverter supplier for Germany (and much of the world). Can you find any days where a significant portion of PV output simply drops?

I don't disagree that storage would be a benefit - but primarily this would be useful to extend power towards the evening hours right after the evening hours when demand typically remains strong.