Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar in AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for what residents of AZ, especially SRP customers have done. SRP is not solar friendly ( net metering). I am almost thinking it might be best to get a few Powerwalls with Solar and be off grid

There is a fairly current discussion here: Arizona PowerWall Installs and a lively discussion on dealing with utilities with demand management plans - that includes some specifics on working with SRP's Residential Demand Price Plan here: Strategies for Powerwalls and Utility Demand Plans.

I just added a single PowerWall to my solar in SRP territory and after a couple of months have found that the PW greatly eases the stress of living with SRP's otherwise anti-solar demand policies.

SRP now offers a Time Of Use Export Price Plan for solar that doesn't include demand fees, but I can't imagine it will be cost effective for most customers. This new TOU Export plan only offers 2.81 cents per kWh credit on export and it's a real-time export rate only and is not net metering; You can't offset you nightime peak use with excess solar peak hours earlier in the day as you could with net metering.

I just switched over to the new SRP Average Demand Plan this month, and I think it will work out well for me with the PW. The new Average Demand Plan and the new $3,600 SRP battery incentive sweeten the pot a little if you're considering installing solar in SRP territory.

There is a fairly current discussion here: Arizona PowerWall Installs and a lively discussion on dealing with utilities with demand management plans - that includes some specifics on working with SRP's Residential Demand Price Plan here: Strategies for Powerwalls and Utility Demand Plans.

I just added a single PowerWall to my solar in SRP territory and after a couple of months have found that the PW greatly eases the stress of living with SRP's otherwise anti-solar demand policies.

SRP now offers a Time Of Use Export Price Plan for solar that doesn't include demand fees, but I can't imagine it will be cost effective for most customers. This new TOU Export plan only offers 2.81 cents per kWh credit on export and it's a real-time export rate only and is not net metering; You can't offset you nightime peak use with excess solar peak hours earlier in the day as you could with net metering.

I just switched over to the new SRP Average Demand Plan this month, and I think it will work out well for me with the PW. The new Average Demand Plan and the new $3,600 SRP battery incentive sweeten the pot a little if you're considering installing solar in SRP territory.

Wow, is SRP still offering that PW incentive? Imagine the savings with a solar package.

Tesla Solar just slashed prices (not sure what they were) and so I was considering their 4KW + PW. As I understood it, you can get tax benefits on the PW only if you get it as part of a solar package. I know this because I was originally signed up for SRP's PW last year, but Tesla couldn't deliver it by the time my contractor plan was required... so I bailed.

I wonder if you could combine the incentives, anyone done this yet?

I know an older post but did want to add my experience with SRP with Solar and battery. While the plans (either customer generation or average demand) seem punitive I have found that with a bit of demand management you can actually get to quite an effective outcome and the structure actually allows for less battery requirement that other plans would require (as outside of demand charges your get net metering at a very low cost so SRP effectively becomes a "battery" outside of peak hours).

Key to operating within SRP plans is sizing system to get you through peak hours in summer (2pm to 8pm) which for me essentially comes down to managing HVAC (4.5kW for 5 ton and 2.5kW for 2.5 ton unit) and basic house needs (0.5-1kW) and I try to shift running pool and doing laundry outside of peak. I pre cool house at 1.30pm which covers 2-3pm from HVAC perspective then cycle the two systems to ensure they are not both on at same time and generally this leads to very small peak demands (<0.5kW). I have 1 PW2 and 6.6Kw solar and have annual utilization of 16000KWh. If I were to do it again I would probably want a second PW2 for peace of mind and to provide some real backup potential (would make managing during peak easier but no real ROI other than backup in summer as need to set reserve near 0% during peak of summer). This also seems to drive credits during peak periods and utilization during off peak which drives some cost arbitrage (peak rates are 20-50% higher so getting to cost neutrality, excluding monthly minimum service charge, can actually be done with a smaller solar system)

Reactions: Kcarver