TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Solar in Central VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by BigD0g, Aug 3, 2018.

1. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Does anyone know why it's near impossible to allow contractors to install solar in VA?

I've been trying to get Tesla to sell me a solar package, but they can't because they can't get through the permitting process still like 6 years later ( started by solar city )

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I've had no problems with local permits (Loudoun), stuck on local utility (working out the sizing). Which one is your issue?

3. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Moving from PWC to loudoun, I have constantly heard that loudouns permit system is far superior than other counties. Apparently loudoun makes it super easy and fast. While PWC and fairfax can take weeks. So keep that in mind. NOVEC sucks.. lol

4. boaterva

Yep. We have all my usage for the last year, and current, and still getting pushback. Don't know if it's because it's an east-west system so not all of the proposed panels will be active at one time (so 'it's too big') or other issues. TE is on the case.... :D

5. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Tesla says they cannot sell and install a solar system in Henrico and is waiting a master permit from the county? They apparently have the VA power permit required. Each county apparently has there own approval methodology for vendors.

6. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Have you entered into NOVEC's pilot program for peak/offpeak pricing? I was thinking about doing this.

7. alpinebum1

alpinebum1 Member

It was fast and easy in Maryland :)

8. boaterva

I saw it existed... If I do that at all, I'll need the panels, and the PWs (now that PWs have TOU programming). :D With net metering, I wonder how much it's worth it. I'll have to take a deeper look, for sure. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like x 1
  9. boaterva

Yeah, you folks have it made... you even have an incentive!

• Like x 1
  10. boaterva

Each company needs a permit from each county? WTF....

11. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Buy them in another state and ship them to the new location, this is more legacy commonwealth Bullshiznit

• Informative x 1
  12. boaterva

Yeah, this is insane.

13. BlueRidgeksky

BlueRidgeksky Member

It's 2018. I don't understand why this is even an issue?

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Me neither, but it is...

15. BlueRidgeksky

BlueRidgeksky Member

Anyone know any good solar installers in Southwest Virginia? Telsa told me it would be years before their installers might work in my area of the state.

16. gnuarm

gnuarm Member

I am on Rappahannock Electric Coop in Spotsylvania county aways north of Henrico. I just switched to TOU billing and when I asked about PV they said the two would not be used together. But I would think it's not their issue if I setup the system to not sell them electric, but only to supply my house with PV during peak hours. At $0.34 a kWHr the PV would pay for itself very quickly indeed.