Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar in Central VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BigD0g

Jan 12, 2017
Somewhere
Does anyone know why it's near impossible to allow contractors to install solar in VA?

I've been trying to get Tesla to sell me a solar package, but they can't because they can't get through the permitting process still like 6 years later ( started by solar city )

I've had no problems with local permits (Loudoun), stuck on local utility (working out the sizing). Which one is your issue?

Moving from PWC to loudoun, I have constantly heard that loudouns permit system is far superior than other counties. Apparently loudoun makes it super easy and fast. While PWC and fairfax can take weeks. So keep that in mind. NOVEC sucks.. lol

Moving from PWC to loudoun, I have constantly heard that loudouns permit system is far superior than other counties. Apparently loudoun makes it super easy and fast. While PWC and fairfax can take weeks. So keep that in mind. NOVEC sucks.. lol
Yep. We have all my usage for the last year, and current, and still getting pushback. Don't know if it's because it's an east-west system so not all of the proposed panels will be active at one time (so 'it's too big') or other issues. TE is on the case.... :D

I've had no problems with local permits (Loudoun), stuck on local utility (working out the sizing). Which one is your issue?

Tesla says they cannot sell and install a solar system in Henrico and is waiting a master permit from the county? They apparently have the VA power permit required. Each county apparently has there own approval methodology for vendors.

Yep. We have all my usage for the last year, and current, and still getting pushback. Don't know if it's because it's an east-west system so not all of the proposed panels will be active at one time (so 'it's too big') or other issues. TE is on the case.... :D

Have you entered into NOVEC's pilot program for peak/offpeak pricing? I was thinking about doing this.

Have you entered into NOVEC's pilot program for peak/offpeak pricing? I was thinking about doing this.
I saw it existed... If I do that at all, I'll need the panels, and the PWs (now that PWs have TOU programming). :D With net metering, I wonder how much it's worth it. I'll have to take a deeper look, for sure. Thanks for the reminder!

Reactions: SpudLime
I am on Rappahannock Electric Coop in Spotsylvania county aways north of Henrico. I just switched to TOU billing and when I asked about PV they said the two would not be used together. But I would think it's not their issue if I setup the system to not sell them electric, but only to supply my house with PV during peak hours. At $0.34 a kWHr the PV would pay for itself very quickly indeed.