Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar in Illinois

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They just started doing installations late last year and I was one of the first. IL doesn't have a state wide certification for electricians, so they were busy getting their ME certified in multiple jurisdictions so they could submit permits. Last time I spoke to one of the local guys (about a month ago) they were still building their teams and importing talent from their experienced crews in other states. I had them out yesterday to fix one of the skirts and the team seemed much more knowledgeable than the ones who did the original installation.

Progress has been painfully slow, but the system performs well. If you're patient, they're worth the wait.

If you're interested in getting it done, pm me and I'll give you my reps number. He works out of the gold coast Tesla in Chicago.

Reactions: JFChenger
They just started doing installations late last year and I was one of the first. IL doesn't have a state wide certification for electricians, so they were busy getting their ME certified in multiple jurisdictions so they could submit permits. Last time I spoke to one of the local guys (about a month ago) they were still building their teams and importing talent from their experienced crews in other states. I had them out yesterday to fix one of the skirts and the team seemed much more knowledgeable than the ones who did the original installation.

Progress has been painfully slow, but the system performs well. If you're patient, they're worth the wait.

If you're interested in getting it done, pm me and I'll give you my reps number. He works out of the gold coast Tesla in Chicago.
Good info! How close were your final installation quote to their online configurator price? I'm getting some outrageous $/watt quotes from other vendors I've talked to so far when compared to Tesla's online configurator price.

This may have been a media misunderstanding per others in this thread (price has NOT dropped), PSA: Tesla solar panels $1.70-$1.99/watt

Ahh. Thx for heads up. No real price drop then.
Their quote in the website is in the middle of quotes I have gotten.

Any experiences with solar in Illinois?
How do they handle the SREC credit?
How was the install quality?
What panels?
Any issues?

Thanks

Good info! How close were your final installation quote to their online configurator price? I'm getting some outrageous $/watt quotes from other vendors I've talked to so far when compared to Tesla's online configurator price.
I couldn't run it when I purchased because the site said solar wasn't available in IL at the time (February 2018). I had quotes from several other vendors (which I didn't disclose) and Tesla was the lowest, but only by an insignificant margin.

Reactions: JFChenger

Hey, I am in the northern suburbs and just joined this sub so I wasn't able to PM. Do you have that guy's number, I'm interested in solar.

I have Tesla solar and powerwall.
Located in Batavia. Installed Sept.
9.3kw 1 powerwall
If you need any info or want to come out to check it out let me know.
Feel free to text or call me.
630-803-0202 cell

I have Tesla solar and powerwall.
Located in Batavia. Installed Sept.
9.3kw 1 powerwall
If you need any info or want to come out to check it out let me know.
Feel free to text or call me.
630-803-0202 cell
I'm curious about how the “IL Adjustable Block Program” rebate works. Does Tesla handle the application? Have you received this rebate from the state yet? Thanks.

Is there a system size limit to get the IL Block credits? I noticed on the Tesla Energy site that if I choose X-Large the Block credits don't show up as they do for Medium or Large. Other quotes I have received say I need a 13kw - 15kw system which is X-Large in Tesla estimator.

Is there a system size limit to get the IL Block credits? I noticed on the Tesla Energy site that if I choose X-Large the Block credits don't show up as they do for Medium or Large. Other quotes I have received say I need a 13kw - 15kw system which is X-Large in Tesla estimator.

That is a fairly large system. I would advise to get Large system in the estimator then request Tesla maximize your system closest to 10 as possible when they do the layout. Get 2 powerwalls which are basically a must or solar is worthless.

Also if you dont have a referral code let me know so you and I both get $250.00

Also make sure if doing solar in IL you change your rate plan w Comed over to hourly rate.
You can save a ton this way. Charge your cars from 1am-5am and in some cases the rate is negative (yes, they pay your to charge your car).

That is a fairly large system. I would advise to get Large system in the estimator then request Tesla maximize your system closest to 10 as possible when they do the layout. Get 2 powerwalls which are basically a must or solar is worthless.

Also if you dont have a referral code let me know so you and I both get $250.00

Also make sure if doing solar in IL you change your rate plan w Comed over to hourly rate.
You can save a ton this way. Charge your cars from 1am-5am and in some cases the rate is negative (yes, they pay your to charge your car).

Thanks for all this info. I may take you up on your offer to call you on the side and check out your install. I'm on their site now and it looks like for 8.16 kw with 2 PowerWalls comes out to $17,000 after incentives. Did Tesla knock off the federal credit too off the top?

Also, I've been a RRTP customer for 12+ years. Do you know how the net metering works where we can sell the electric back to ComEd? At these prices, it seems odd more people wouldn't take advantage of it. Could always use a referral as well.

Thanks.

Thanks for all this info. I may take you up on your offer to call you on the side and check out your install. I'm on their site now and it looks like for 8.16 kw with 2 PowerWalls comes out to $17,000 after incentives. Did Tesla knock off the federal credit too off the top?

Also, I've been a RRTP customer for 12+ years. Do you know how the net metering works where we can sell the electric back to ComEd? At these prices, it seems odd more people wouldn't take advantage of it. Could always use a referral as well.

Thanks.

The "Federal Incentive" is a tax credit (not a tax REBATE) and depends on ones individual tax liability, so never "comes off the top" in any solar transaction. You will need to apply for that on your taxes, provided you have the tax liability to receive it.

Teslas websites always show "whats possible" and also many times include incentives not everyone will qualify for... like most other car manufacturer websites do as well. I realize this is solar, but its always best to click the button that says "purchase price" and look at that, instead of any price tesla is showing "after incentives".

Figure out what incentives you qualify for on your own, and deduct that separately from whatever purchase price they show, to get your "after incentives" price, is the safest recommendation I could make on that topic.

Reactions: isjka
I live in Chicago they did my install Jan - Feb 2020. I have a 7KW system with 2 power walls.

If anyone in here has questions feel free to let me know.

tesla handles the SRECS and discounts upfront the system by the expected SREC credit.

Are you also on net metering with the Powerwall? Interested in hearing how the Powerwall is working out. Power rarely goes out where I live, so I"m contemplating the Powerwall purchase. Also, did ComEd approve the original plans or did you need to modify based off last 12 months of usage?

Thanks.