Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar install timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid my $100 on 6/29 and I had my final inspection yesterday. PTO should be 2-3 weeks according to Tesla for SCE.

Tesla's speed does seem to vary significantly by region though.

But you didn't have Powerwalls right? I still think breaking an install into PV first then Powerwall second is smarter than doing it all at once. Powerwalls are such a headache haha.

But you didn't have Powerwalls right? I still think breaking an install into PV first then Powerwall second is smarter than doing it all at once. Powerwalls are such a headache haha.
The cost is usually higher on a split install. I think we got a $1500 discount for doing the PWs at the same time as SolarRoof. And a discount makes sense since they are onsite running wiring and installed boxes for the solar already. And PowerWalls let you say "PSPS? What PSPS? My power has been on the whole time!";)

4 days of PSPS last year drove use to add Powerwalls. But the most significant side effect might turn out to be never having to buy power in the evenings at the high Time of Use rate.

The cost is usually higher on a split install. I think we got a $1500 discount for doing the PWs at the same time as SolarRoof. And a discount makes sense since they are onsite running wiring and installed boxes for the solar already. And PowerWalls let you say "PSPS? What PSPS? My power has been on the whole time!";)

4 days of PSPS last year drove use to add Powerwalls. But the most significant side effect might turn out to be never having to buy power in the evenings at the high Time of Use rate.

Yeah I thought the same as you a few months ago. Intuitively... going with a single shop should be be cheaper.

But what I learned is that the good PV installers just don't know much about Battery backup. Even though Tesla bought Solar City, I don't consider them a good PV option any more. They only take on jobs that are "easy" and seem very hit or miss now to deal with someone new Solar build.

Also unfortunately, while local PV shops knew their PV inside and out. But they came across as clueless on the non-PV stuff. You know it's bad when I'm telling their "Tesla Certified" employees to open the Tesla Powerwall 2 + Gateway 2 installation PDF manual to explain stuff. Or having another PV installer say they will only do whole-home backups since that's all they would do with Generac and LG Chem.

But the really good local battery/generator installers just know their stuff better. Dedicated installers like the one @Vines work with are also the only ones that seem to understand the battery SGIP program in California; which I'm assuming would translate to other local battery incentives in other states.

I think you'l get the Best X by having a PV expert do what they do best and having a Powerwall expert do what they do best. On paper Tesla would seem to fit the bill; but that was not my experience. Tesla will not do complicated PV builds and Tesla will not help 3x or greater Powerwall Customers obtain the California SGIP.

Honestly I would gladly pay an extra $1,500 to split my install up, but I'm too far down on the contracts/deposit phases.

Living in the middle of the city lets me say PSPS? What PSPS? ;)

Yeah I thought the same as you a few months ago. Intuitively... going with a single shop should be be cheaper.

But what I learned is that the good PV installers just don't know much about Battery backup. Even though Tesla bought Solar City, I don't consider them a good PV option any more. They only take on jobs that are "easy" and seem very hit or miss now to deal with someone new Solar build.

Also unfortunately, while local PV shops knew their PV inside and out. But they came across as clueless on the non-PV stuff. You know it's bad when I'm telling their "Tesla Certified" employees to open the Tesla Powerwall 2 + Gateway 2 installation PDF manual to explain stuff. Or having another PV installer say they will only do whole-home backups since that's all they would do with Generac and LG Chem.

But the really good local battery/generator installers just know their stuff better. Dedicated installers like the one @Vines work with are also the only ones that seem to understand the battery SGIP program in California; which I'm assuming would translate to other local battery incentives in other states.

I think you'l get the Best X by having a PV expert do what they do best and having a Powerwall expert do what they do best. On paper Tesla would seem to fit the bill; but that was not my experience. Tesla will not do complicated PV builds and Tesla will not help 3x or greater Powerwall Customers obtain the California SGIP.

Honestly I would gladly pay an extra $1,500 to split my install up, but I'm too far down on the contracts/deposit phases.

Some of this really gets at a different issue than whether or not it makes sense to split the install. To my mind, if you can do it at once, that is the way to go for most people. I would also say Tesla seems to be great at installing the PV projects they take on. That said, we have seen through posts on this forum that they have very defined boxes for what they will install. Unfortunately, that does leave a lot of people out.

Not knowing a lot about SGIP other than what all of you CA residents have said, that does make a lot of sense as a reason to split. If you can get cheaper or free PWs by going with a 3rd-party, that is clearly worth it vs. the smaller discount Tesla may offer for bundling.

System: 8.1 kw + 2 PW
Order date: 5/23/20
Install date: 8/3/20

They could have installed in July but it didn't match my timeline... glad I waited because a week prior to install they changed me to 340 watt panels and Backup Gateway 2. They had already matched the price per watt on the 315 watt panels and I kept that price. I did not ask for either of these things, but I did have to approve a new layout due to the new (larger) panels. They also made additional layout changes on site.

Install was completed in 1 day (7 AM to 4 PM). The crew were all pretty enthusiastic about the work and Tesla in general. Some have been with the company since the Solar City days.

They had 3 licensed electricians working the Powerwall install and 4 guys on the solar install. Everyone was professional and (mostly) knowledgable. The lead powerwall installer did not know the Backup Gateway 2 negates the need for a generation panel with a system my size. They installed one anyway. I questioned him and he said the internal breakers are only for non-backed up loads. I guess they didn't read the directions or get proper training. They said they had been installing them for only 2 weeks.

Splitting installs isn't best. Its best to use an installer that understands them both 100%.

For the average customer who just wants to call someone out if its broken, one company is clearly the best. If backed into a corner either installer could finger point at the others equipment.

Having clear responsibility under 1 company, means that no matter the issue, you know who to call. Check Yelp and Google reviews, call your local permit office and talk to the electrical inspector. They know who is good, who is great and who to avoid.

Next best is to do what @holeydonut recommended, and only then if you are willing to be a bit of an expert, and do some research.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Living in the middle of the city lets me say PSPS? What PSPS? ;)
Public Safety Power Shutoff. It is when the power company shuts off your power for days at a time because the conditions might cause a power line to fall. And this could spark a fire that could kill people and get the company sued.

We had our power shut off for 4 days in 2 separate incidents last fall. That is why we now own two power walls.;)

And BTW, the closest fire was over 60 miles from my house. So it does not matter where you live. I live in the suburbs where there are no above-ground power lines. But miles away, one leg of our area's grid has some lines that are above the ground. So when the wind blows hard and dry (red-flag warning), we (3,000+ homes) pre-emptively lose power. This is repeated through the west including SoCal.

FWIW, this map shows the SoCal High-risk and PSPS areas for SCE. (Click the buttons it the color-coding does not show). Its a good thing to monitor when the winds blow.

Last edited:
System: 8.1 kw + 2 PW
Order date: 5/23/20
Install date: 8/3/20

They could have installed in July but it didn't match my timeline... glad I waited because a week prior to install they changed me to 340 watt panels and Backup Gateway 2. They had already matched the price per watt on the 315 watt panels and I kept that price. I did not ask for either of these things, but I did have to approve a new layout due to the new (larger) panels. They also made additional layout changes on site.

Install was completed in 1 day (7 AM to 4 PM). The crew were all pretty enthusiastic about the work and Tesla in general. Some have been with the company since the Solar City days.

They had 3 licensed electricians working the Powerwall install and 4 guys on the solar install. Everyone was professional and (mostly) knowledgable. The lead powerwall installer did not know the Backup Gateway 2 negates the need for a generation panel with a system my size. They installed one anyway. I questioned him and he said the internal breakers are only for non-backed up loads. I guess they didn't read the directions or get proper training. They said they had been installing them for only 2 weeks.
Are you north or south of the Driscoll bridge? I heard there are two groups supporting solar installs. I’m located in Ocean County. Really interested in solar roof.

Are you north or south of the Driscoll bridge? I heard there are two groups supporting solar installs. I’m located in Ocean County. Really interested in solar roof.

I'm in Burlington County. The Powerwall installers were from the Atlantic City area.. I didn't think to ask the solar crew where they were from.

I would have loved solar roof but my roof is brand new.

Edit: forgot to mention.. currently different teams supports solar roof vs solar panels.. they did say they're trying to cross train people to do everything but that's probably not feasible right now

Public Safety Power Shutoff. It is when the power company shuts off your power for days at a time because the conditions might cause a power line to fall. And this could spark a fire that could kill people and get the company sued.

We had our power shut off for 4 days in 2 separate incidents last fall. That is why we now own two power walls.;)

And BTW, the closest fire was over 60 miles from my house. So it does not matter where you live. I live in the suburbs where there are no above-ground power lines. But miles away, one leg of our area's grid has some lines that are above the ground. So when the wind blows hard and dry (red-flag warning), we (3,000+ homes) pre-emptively lose power. This is repeated through the west including SoCal.

FWIW, this map shows the SoCal High-risk and PSPS areas for SCE. (Click the buttons it the color-coding does not show). Its a good thing to monitor when the winds blow.

Sorry, I was joking because I'm in an area where they don't shutoff our power at the whim of the power company.

A quick question. How long are people seeing from initial money down to complete installation? Thanks in advance!!

Placed my order on July 15 for an 8 kW system, panels only
Home Inspection done on July 24
City installation permit granted on July 30
Installation scheduled for Aug 18.

Crossing fingers it all goes smooth and green light from PG&E doesn't take too long after the install.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In