Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar installation shutting down in certain markets.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Elon moved headquarters from California it’s been like watching Palpantine reveal his true Sith nature and appearance. I’d say the insignia ‘T’ stands for ‘Texas’ now.
Last I heard you could only get new PW in conjunction with installation of Tesla PV. I wonder if that will continue under “certified installers”?
I've talked with other solar people. They can install powerwalls but they're impossible to get (quelle surprise)

Reactions: diyguy
And they charge a fortune to install. I hope Tesla puts pressure on certified installers to stick to teslas pricing for powerwall installation.
For that to happen Tesla would need to sell Powerwalls to certified installers at Tesla's cost. My understanding is, so far, that Tesla sells Powerwalls to installers at retail pricing.

And they charge a fortune to install. I hope Tesla puts pressure on certified installers to stick to teslas pricing for powerwall installation.

If they did that, they'll just mark up something else or simply, not take the job. No one should have to work for free (I don't think either of us would neither).

The problem with this busines model is their installers are competing with Tesla for work and will NEVER be able to price compete ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vines

Now we learn that Tesla is canceling many solar projects, including some in advanced stages, and the company is saying that it shutting down operations in some markets.

I'm hoping that the emails and texts reminding me that my installation is on Monday, December 1, means I am not part of that.

Update on my solar roof install.
Ordered March 1, 2022.
Tesla could never give me an estimated install date.
A few weeks ago, out of the blue, I get a call. How about next week?

I am now the proud new owner of a tesla roof and power wall. So far it’s working great. Install went well. Took 2 weeks.
The same thing happened to me in 2021. Ordered in February, then they tried to raise the price after it was inspected by the city and permitted, and I just refused to cancel or agree. Then, out of the blue, they called and said can we start installing next week at the original price in October. Took 3 weeks in my case for the install.

Concerning if Tesla lays off many of their support/install/general folks and scales down the business. Do folks with Tesla solar installs call Tesla directly when there is a problem? Do they forward it to a component company that they are using?

I ask because real world example, I had a recent communication issue within my system. I called my installer, but they said they'll look into it within 5 days. I decided to call Enphase directly and worked with someone on the phone and got it back online within an hour or two. To me, it seems like working with the one who makes the stuff sounds the best since that's all they deal with. He didn't even have to route me to someone more "knowledgeable".

Tesla solar probably supports their solar roof since they own that, but if you have other pieces from another manufacturer, seems like it'll just go back and forth blame/game. Sorta like getting support from Best Buy, but they need to call LG to fix your TV.

Maybe it's not so bad, but similar to Twitter losing staff probably hand over fist now, when people are quitting/laid off, they simply don't care about your solar problems because they have their own bigger problems.
I can give you a real world example of using Tesla support. A tree fell in our back yard and a limb from the tree damaged about 6 non-working solar tiles. I immediately called Tesla and a local authorized installer for bids to give to my insurance. The local company gave me a bid that day and I did not hear from Tesla for 4 months or so. When I finally did hear from Tesla after constantly calling them, the bid was twice the local company so I went with the local company. I was not very happy with Tesla support. I'm glad I do have a local company I can call who are authorized and use Tesla parts.

Reactions: dhrivnak
My installation was cancelled for the Delaware area in July, with similar wording about no longer servicing the area. Just received my deposit refund this week.
Bill,

How did you receive your refund (credit back to card, check, etc.)? I'm in Sussex county with the same timeline and haven't heard a thing on the refund but got the cancellation emails in July after being fully permitted for a second system. I have no idea of who to contact if the refund doesn't show up...

Thanks,
Chris

😃 Hooray! Extra 4 percent off my tax bill and I can legally charge from grid.

Hot off the press:
Hi Eric, we're confirming your Tesla Energy installation is Scheduled for Monday February 6, 2023 with an arrival window of 07:00AM - 09:00AM. We sent an email that outlines what to expect. For more details or questions, learn more in your Tesla Account. tesla.com/teslaaccount

Reply STOP to End.
Changed again…. No more grid charging;P

Hi Eric, we're confirming your Tesla Energy installation is Rescheduled for Monday December 12, 2022 with an arrival window of 07:00AM - 09:00AM. We sent an email that outlines what to expect. For more details or questions, learn more in your Tesla Account. tesla.com/teslaaccount

I would rather have 26% tax credit this year rather then 30% next year. Next year I will have the model Y credit anyway. Glad to get the powerwalls this year in time for winter. Never know when rolling blackout might start.

Last edited:

Hi Eric, we're confirming your Tesla Energy installation is Rescheduled for Monday December 12, 2022 with an arrival window of 07:00AM - 09:00AM. We sent an email that outlines what to expect. For more details or questions, learn more in your Tesla Account. tesla.com/teslaaccount

I would rather have 26% tax credit this year rather then 30% next year. Next year I will have the model Y credit anyway. Glad to get the powerwalls this year in time for winter. Never know when rolling blackout might start.
Tax credit year is driven by PTO date. If system is installed mid Dec it is not very likely that it will fully approved before the end of the year.

Tax credit is 30% this year after the inflation reduction act was signed.