Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar installer offers discount on PW if I choose lower wattage panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been going back and force with my installer on the proposed setup and it seems we settled on 360 wt REC panels with 20 y manufacturer warranty, I've got the loan and paid deposit etc . Then I decided to add 2 PW and we set on the price and conditions. Suddenly they informed me that I could have a substantial discount on PV part but I have to use Tesla/Q-Cell 320 Wt panels... So instead of 8.64 I would have 7.68 kW system. I crunched the numbers and while the proposed discounted combo cost less, I'm not sure if I should go with it. It looks like it would pay off faster (better ROI?) but I so wanted to have the most up to date panels. Does it make sense or it just impaired vanity speaks and I should follow my calculations and trust the installer?
My other concern is the warranty - 12 years vs 20 on REC panels. We are planning to stay here a long time and I'm really concern about long term reliability. Basically it looks like Tesla is dumping those panes as they are few years old, have a bit lower efficiency, higher decline and lower output at the end of warranty term (85% after 12years - vs 92% after 20 years)..

any suggestions on what to do?

Figure out what are the factors motivating you. Is it producing the most energy, having the best tech, saving the most money, being green, etc.? They can all be in play some of them contradict each other. Figure out a weight for each one, you be super analytical about if that is your style or you can gut it out once you've thought through what is motivating you.

Good luck!

We went with LG 350W panels. While developing the proposal our installer recommended we consider getting grade B panels, that would have some defects with a lower cost, shorter warranty and help reduce the cost of our system (44 panels/4 PowerWalls).

We opted for the Grade A panels at the higher cost to maximize the power generated by our panels.

Because we agreed to our contract in mid-October for installation by year-end, we didn't have a lot of choices for panels, with the push by everyone to get systems installed by year-end (to get the 30% credit).

After some careful considerations, I decided to take this offer. There is a good chance that one day in a future, looking back I probably gonna be disappointed I didn't go for higher wattage units but it has more sense financially