Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar not charging Powerwall

Merrill

Merrill
Jan 23, 2013
Sonoma, California
So I have the Powerwalls running the house from 4pm to 9pm and at 4 I’m generating 4.4kw solar which is going to the grid and .8 feeding the house. I would have thought the solar would be going to the Powerwalls not the grid, what am I missing.

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
it is maximizing your solar credits. If it was charging the PW, you would not be getting the credits at the Peak rate

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
So the system is working correctly, solar charges the Powerwalls during off peak.

if you have this set in anything other than self powered, or backup only, yes. I suspect you are NOT using self powered, or backup only, but are using one of the Advanced modes, which are designed to do precisely what you are describing (send solar to grid during peak to maximize credits).

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Right, it would not charge PWs during Peak on Cost Savings for sure. Not sure about Balanced
First is what has a person set the settings for.

I am on balanced, peak, and 100% of home off grid from batteries from 3 to 12pm. The smarts are making this even way into the day. 100% of my solar from 3pm to dark gets sent back to grid for max value. TOU-C no big deal, but EV2-A, big deal

Merrill

Merrill
Jan 23, 2013
Sonoma, California
if you have this set in anything other than self powered, or backup only, yes. I suspect you are NOT using self powered, or backup only, but are using one of the Advanced modes, which are designed to do precisely what you are describing (send solar to grid during peak to maximize credits).
Yes I’m on cost savings now that I’m thinking it was a stupid question because why would you charge the Powerwalls at peak.

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC