Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Only Monitoring Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll definitely be digging into this but I have my doubts that they truly did install a powerblaster. Looking back at my panel wiring I just don't see any evidence of wires going back towards the master breaker. Since I have to wait for Tesla I may go back and do a little more poking around.
I did create an account with Neurio as well as registering an app so I could get a Client ID and Client Key but I think the Neurio hardware may have a WiFi interface and not Zigbee so I may be stuck, we'll see.

I'll definitely be digging into this but I have my doubts that they truly did install a powerblaster. Looking back at my panel wiring I just don't see any evidence of wires going back towards the master breaker. Since I have to wait for Tesla I may go back and do a little more poking around.
I did create an account with Neurio as well as registering an app so I could get a Client ID and Client Key but I think the Neurio hardware may have a WiFi interface and not Zigbee so I may be stuck, we'll see.

Hi Georgeloak,
I'm 100% sure, you don't have a powerblaster in your panel. I have the exact panel, the left compartment is for meter, and utility supply line. You can't install powerblaster on the left side. On the right side, you have 100A, 60A, and 40A. Looks like 60A, and 40A is your solar input.

The 100A should be the service line. But something is not quite right. My installer told according to the code, solar breaker should install at the furthest possible away from your main breaker. Like moving the 100A to the very top, and keep the solar at the very bottom.

My installer is very good. He moved some of my breaker, and make room for the solar breaker. So it keep the main and solar separated at the furthest distance. Inspector told me, that's the best way to do it.

Anyway, for the powerblaster, it's possible to install the CT onto the main breaker wires. But it might have to remove the meter. and get behind it. My installer did pull the meter, and utility come within 15 mins and question them. Anyway, powerblaster was installed. But it took them almost an hour. But he did a very job, it wasn't easy. In my case, I have 200A input, so it has 4 wires, and 4 CTs.

Hopes that help.

Hi Albert,

Yes you are correct, in fact Tesla made a service call to follow up on this and the person that came out confirmed that the PB was not installed. The crew that originally came out not only didn't install it but they documented like they did. The tech showed me an app that they use and they are supposed to take pictures of each step and the picture for the PB was just a picture of inside my panel.

The tech also told me that they can't install on the meter side because that is owned by the utility company. Since my panel brings power into it with bus bars and not wires standard CT won't fit. I did some research and learned that there is a kind of CT called a Rogowski Coil which is more like a loop of wire and "should" fit around the bus bars at the top of my panel. Here's one Rogowski based sensor that I found.

The other option is to buy a bunch of small CT and place them on each circuit. I injured my hand though and have limited ability with it for a while so this project will have to wait until maybe the Spring.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has any other ideas.