Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar panel in Wisconsin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on a lot of factors, like how much electricity costs where you are putting up the panels.
I have 7.6 kW of panels on my roof. It was cloudier this winter, so they didn't do as well as I would have liked.
My electricity from the local power folks is way too heavy on coal generation, so I have supplemented my car (and house) usage by having solar panels.
I think it will take ten to twelve years to break even in my situation.
It is worth it in many ways, I think we need to get going (NOW) on renewable energy.
As for getting my money out of it in my location, it will be a slow process.

We are at just about the OP's latitude, and we installed 33Kw label capacity in panels a couple of years ago. We get about 44-50Mwh per year, far more than we can use for a 4400 sq ft all-electric house and three EVs. Our payoff, based on about 13.5 cents per Kwh, is about 12 years. Our utililty does not buy power from us, but we can store it in the grid and use it when we need (an "infinite battery" for one meter charge of $31/mo.)

Thank you.
We will build in Ozaukee County.
Any recommendation on the solar panel company you used?
I also read in that WE energy penalize customers with extra fees for placing a solar panel===
Also, are you ordering the tesla home battery?

We used Northwind Renewable in Stevens Point for both of our installs and would recommend them highly. I think they do work outside of central Wisconsin. Also, if you have time, the Midwest Renewable Energy Association Energy Fair in Custer, WI, is in June and has a lot of informative talks on solar and vendors too.