Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panel Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping someone help me and I have tried calling Tesla but they are non-responsive.

I recently got Tesla solar panel, unfortunately, Tesla App is displaying some unusual numbers.

In the App when the HVAC/AC is Off
  • Home Power usage was ~18 kW
  • Tesla app showed power pulled from GRID and Solar
  • The power Meter showed power being placed on the GRID
  • When Home HVAC is turned on "Home Power" goes from 18 to 12 kW

Welcome to TMC!

Sounds like your CTs (current transducer / current transformer), the devices that measure power flow in each part of your system, are either misconfigured, miswired, or misbehaving. It's a common problem, many posters have reported similar issues. If they're misconfigured the fix is easy. Tesla should be able to diagnose and resolve the issue, assuming you're able to get in touch with them.

I'm hoping someone help me and I have tried calling Tesla but they are non-responsive.

I recently got Tesla solar panel, unfortunately, Tesla App is displaying some unusual numbers.

In the App when the HVAC/AC is Off
  • Home Power usage was ~18 kW
  • Tesla app showed power pulled from GRID and Solar
  • The power Meter showed power being placed on the GRID
  • When Home HVAC is turned on "Home Power" goes from 18 to 12 kW
Yeah that sure sounds like the Neurio device is not connected properly. Read through Neurio Monitoring Performance that might help you.

I wonder what exactly about tesla was "non responsive" in this case. Did they say 'We have no idea what that is, mr customer?" Or, was it "you dont have PTO yet so we are not going to look at this until you do"? (I suspect the later). The actual issue is likely related to the CTs as the other responders mention.

I wonder what exactly about tesla was "non responsive" in this case. Did they say 'We have no idea what that is, mr customer?" Or, was it "you dont have PTO yet so we are not going to look at this until you do"? (I suspect the later). The actual issue is likely related to the CTs as the other responders mention.
This is after the PTO; I called and email the project manager and got no response. After which I called 800 number was told "We have no idea what that is..." and we will open an internal ticket and someone will contact me with 24 hours. Thus far I have not heard from them.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
This is after the PTO; I called and email the project manager and got no response. After which I called 800 number was told "We have no idea what that is..." and we will open an internal ticket and someone will contact me with 24 hours. Thus far I have not heard from them.
Once you get PTO, your project manager is not someone who can help you with, basically anything. I am not sure which 800 number you called, but tesla energy support is 877 - 961 - 7652 (not 800, although a lot of people just "800 number" for all numbers that start with 8.

If you didnt call the above number, I would suggest calling it, as that is tesla energy support call center.

• Helpful
Reactions: kairojya
Welcome to TMC!

Sounds like your CTs (current transducer / current transformer), the devices that measure power flow in each part of your system, are either misconfigured, miswired, or misbehaving. It's a common problem, many posters have reported similar issues. If they're misconfigured the fix is easy. Tesla should be able to diagnose and resolve the issue, assuming you're able to get in touch with them.

Once you get PTO, your project manager is not someone who can help you with, basically anything. I am not sure which 800 number you called, but tesla energy support is 877 - 961 - 7652 (not 800, although a lot of people just "800 number" for all numbers that start with 8.

If you didnt call the above number, I would suggest calling it, as that is tesla energy support call center.
Thank you.. yes, that is the number I called.

You can also use the Service option in the app. I did that and it took a while, but they checked out our SolarRoof output remotely and rolled a truck to fix the low yield issue.
Well, that's another problem. I don't have the "Service" option in the App. See Attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_Tesla.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 58
The service menu option in the energy side of the app comes and goes from time to time and will show up in some regions and not in others at various times.

Mine started showing up this spring then disappeared for about two months and has now recently returned.
That’s incredible. I look forward to experiencing this throughout my ownership. I’ll plan on continuing to just call in when I have issues, as I have been so far. Thanks.

Calling will ALWAYS be faster than requesting service in the app, at least if and until tesla makes it impossible to call. Its just the nature of how support works, not just tesla. When you call, you have the person on the other sides attention, 1:1. If you use a chat platforum, the person that responds to your chat is also handling a number of other chats at the same exact time.

If you use an app, or a web platforum to submit a request for service, that always goes into a big bucket for "someone or someones" to sort through them and route them accordingly.

This is not a tesla thing, its a "support platforms" thing. Someone will "eventually" get to you if you submit a request through the app, but it will never be as quick as "suffering through a phone call".

Calling will ALWAYS be faster than requesting service in the app, at least if and until tesla makes it impossible to call. Its just the nature of how support works, not just tesla. When you call, you have the person on the other sides attention, 1:1. If you use a chat platforum, the person that responds to your chat is also handling a number of other chats at the same exact time.

If you use an app, or a web platforum to submit a request for service, that always goes into a big bucket for "someone or someones" to sort through them and route them accordingly.

This is not a tesla thing, its a "support platforms" thing. Someone will "eventually" get to you if you submit a request through the app, but it will never be as quick as "suffering through a phone call".
I am not convinced one way or the other.

When dealing with our low output from the SolarRoof I called several times and got nowhere. I also left a service request with production data. Eventually (2 months), they called and said they were rolling a truck. The team spent days here troubleshooting and finally replacing large numbers of tiles and associated connector cables.

My guess is the service request. whether a phone operator enters it or an app does, is just a support request in a database.

And I suspect this is the same in a lot of companies since they buy all their support software from the same vendors (Salesforce, Five9, Workday, etc.)

I am not convinced one way or the other.

When dealing with our low output from the SolarRoof I called several times and got nowhere. I also left a service request with production data. Eventually (2 months), they called and said they were rolling a truck. The team spent days here troubleshooting and finally replacing large numbers of tiles and associated connector cables.

My guess is the service request. whether a phone operator enters it or an app does, is just a support request in a database.

And I suspect this is the same in a lot of companies since they buy all their support software from the same vendors (Salesforce, Five9, Workday, etc.)

I suspect you are correct that they are likely using workday / salesforce/service now or something.

The point I was making is, when you call, you generally get "the ticket" entered right then. Now, if it goes anywhere after that is a different story. If you use a web portal, some subset of people on the companies help desk lines are tasked with routing those tickets "when they have time". That means they route easy ones, and harder ones sit there for someone else to figure out what to do with them.

Even if there is a team of people dedicated to routing incoming tickets, a web ticket is there with all the other web tickets (web ticket also = "ticket from an app") where if you are talking to someone they have to enter it themselves, then route it. Doesnt mean they are going to route it correctly, but at least it was touched by someone and routed, vs sitting in a queue waiting for someone to route it whenever there is time.

Source = me, who both worked at a help desk a long time ago, and also managed a team of people on an IT help desk, and still works on a ticketing system (but am a recipient of escalated tickets).

Reactions: kairojya
I suspect you are correct that they are likely using workday / salesforce/service now or something.

The point I was making is, when you call, you generally get "the ticket" entered right then. Now, if it goes anywhere after that is a different story. If you use a web portal, some subset of people on the companies help desk lines are tasked with routing those tickets "when they have time". That means they route easy ones, and harder ones sit there for someone else to figure out what to do with them.

Even if there is a team of people dedicated to routing incoming tickets, a web ticket is there with all the other web tickets (web ticket also = "ticket from an app") where if you are talking to someone they have to enter it themselves, then route it. Doesnt mean they are going to route it correctly, but at least it was touched by someone and routed, vs sitting in a queue waiting for someone to route it whenever there is time.

Source = me, who both worked at a help desk a long time ago, and also managed a team of people on an IT help desk, and still works on a ticketing system (but am a recipient of escalated tickets).
OK.

Sounds like a heck of a way to run a railroad. Also, I wonder if Tesla would go to all this effort given their low-budget back office operation style.