Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panel + Powerwalls x2 Bay Area Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla contact you prior to the install date? i have mine set for up coming Tuesday and no one has ever contacted me about confirming time etc.

I just saw Tesla Solar van install MORE panels on another house with the same exact roof layout. Tesla engineers denied my layout adjustment 2 months ago. Today I saw on a neighbor's roof with 3 more panels(1kw) on the south facing roof. I have been trying to get them to put more panels on my GOOD side several times. This is very annoying when you know it can be done but engineer's and Tesla's customer service(my advisor wont respond to my emails for weeks at at time) is pee poor.

I've been waiting since August.... This is so ridiculous.

Can they do adjustments on the fly when they're installing? (i doubt it, since it'd require permitting updates)

Yeah one thing that sucks about solar is the paperwork. I’m going thru sunrun but I think we have the same problem. I know I can fit more panels on my one good roof candidate. Sunrun refuses to add it.

The installation team that was out at my house before PG&E shut everything down even said I could fit more. They were confused with the BS that Sunrun’s engineers authorized.

Unfortunately there’s no way to add more panels since the permit process is the blocker.

Does Tesla contact you prior to the install date? i have mine set for up coming Tuesday and no one has ever contacted me about confirming time etc.

I just saw Tesla Solar van install MORE panels on another house with the same exact roof layout. Tesla engineers denied my layout adjustment 2 months ago. Today I saw on a neighbor's roof with 3 more panels(1kw) on the south facing roof. I have been trying to get them to put more panels on my GOOD side several times. This is very annoying when you know it can be done but engineer's and Tesla's customer service(my advisor wont respond to my emails for weeks at at time) is pee poor.

Can they do adjustments on the fly when they're installing? (i doubt it, since it'd require permitting updates)

A few years ago I had a crew make some layout adjustments on the spot. This was in Sunnyvale. Unrelated to the panels that were relocated, they ended up shrinking the install after the city wanted more distance to a valley. This was around the time the cities started adopting new rules on clear spaces. I suspect that layout would pass muster today as the rules have gotten refined.

In answer to your first question ....
I also have an install scheduled for this Tuesday. However I was just told last Monday that permitting was complete and a Tuesday install 8 days later was available, so I jumped on it. So far I was sent one text confirmation day after I scheduled and one email confirmation two days after I scheduled the install.

In answer to your first question ....
I also have an install scheduled for this Tuesday. However I was just told last Monday that permitting was complete and a Tuesday install 8 days later was available, so I jumped on it. So far I was sent one text confirmation day after I scheduled and one email confirmation two days after I scheduled the install.
Hmm
My permitting was done months ago. So I had those two texts you're talking about. I hate how the assigned advisor is ghosting me... If I can write her a reviews she'd get 0/5 stars.

You don’t have to just speak to your advisor if you have questions. Forget the phone tree path to get there but we on a few occasions called and just wanted general info so didn’t care if we reached him/her or not (had several advisors over the 10 month timeframe). If you don’t enter in an advisor extension I think you get someone from the available pool but don’t hold me to that. Ask for someone in scheduling to reconfirm your date. If you have an email or text with your date it might have a phone number on it.

I’m not positive but I believe we were contacted by the scheduling department who coordinates with the various install teams. We had received our date and then we wanted to reconfirm the day before so reached out to them. I don’t think at this point your advisor would be doing anything different once you have a date.

I grew up learning to always reconfirm an appointment the day before and think it’s a good policy. I do recall getting text or email prior to our install reminding us about no cars in driveway, clearance around the house for safety, adult present, expect power to be out at some point and not sure what else. Bay area here too and believe there are at least 5-6 teams doing installs. There are separate teams for solar and powerwall and arrive separately in their box truck/vans and cars.

We are south bay and the warehouse is in Milpitas where they are coming from. We were given a 2-3 hour window for arrival time and they did show up within the window. The scheduling I believe all emanates from the warehouse so the guys themselves won’t necessarily know how they will be scheduled at your house on subsequent days. Expect that there could be gaps between days when they can be sent out. Think it just depends on number of jobs, some taking longer than others as each home is different layout, traveling time and issues with weather or individuals able to work (heard of one worker who had to quarantine so wasn’t available so there’s that uncertainty now too). In our case we had one delay of several days due to poor air quality from nearby wildfires where the teams couldn't work in our area. Scheduling to completion could be rather fluid so just expect that as a possibility.

Last edited:

Regarding the scheduling, they contacted us about 6 weeks prior. I assume unless they call you they will show up on your doorstep bright and early.

Yep they showed up 7am. The powerwalls guys did call yesterday and told me he's gonna do a walk around to check what equipment they needed. So that was my initial contact.

I'll report back when install is done. I'm actually not home at all for any of this.

Yep they showed up 7am. The powerwalls guys did call yesterday and told me he's gonna do a walk around to check what equipment they needed. So that was my initial contact.

I'll report back when install is done. I'm actually not home at all for any of this.

Pretty much standard. Telsa went "contactless" before the virus made it cool.

It is one way they keep their costs down.