Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panel showing direct to grid at full capacity while charging car

ellidz

Dec 27, 2018
Los Angeles
I've just gotten my solar system only - 8.16 kW with 2 PowerWalls. The system is set up to backup everything except for my second car charger (for my Roadster).

I've noticed that if I look at the app while the roadster is charging that it shows 8.4 kW going from the panels to the grid - nothing to the house. Obviously, this isn't accurate as my house still has power. Also, I'm assuming the kW is wrong as a) it's above the system maximum; and b) before/after the charging it shows closer to 3.8 kW.

What's going on here? Is it a bug in the app? I would have expected this to either be invisible to the system or for it to show something like the solar feeding the house and grid while the house also consumes from the grid.

Thanks,
-Larry

Vines

Jul 20, 2018
Silicon Valley, CA
I've just gotten my solar system only - 8.16 kW with 2 PowerWalls. The system is set up to backup everything except for my second car charger (for my Roadster).

I've noticed that if I look at the app while the roadster is charging that it shows 8.4 kW going from the panels to the grid - nothing to the house. Obviously, this isn't accurate as my house still has power. Also, I'm assuming the kW is wrong as a) it's above the system maximum; and b) before/after the charging it shows closer to 3.8 kW.

What's going on here? Is it a bug in the app? I would have expected this to either be invisible to the system or for it to show something like the solar feeding the house and grid while the house also consumes from the grid.

Thanks,
-Larry
Likely you have a Neurio meter issue, of incorrect installation or programming. Call your installer back out to get it fixed.

In most installations, your car charger should be captured as a load even if not backed up.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC