TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Solar panels being installed on White House roof (again)

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by tigerade, Aug 15, 2013.

1. tigerade

tigerade Member

Per ABC news:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/08/solar-panels-finally-installed-on-white-house/

While installing solar panels on just one building in Washington DC doesn't do much for climate change, it's hard to ignore the cultural significance of solar panels on the roof of the White House. It sends a message to America, and the rest of the world, that the US is finally starting to take seriously climate change and embrace renewable energy, including solar power. Plus, it has a certain "cool factor". The article is not clear on what company is doing the work, or how much of the White House power needs the panels will take care of. In my opinion, the original solar panels from the Carter administration should have never been taken down. Bringing them back up is pretty neat.

2. Thumper

Thumper Member

Chinese have a solar museum. In it they have some of the solar panels that were removed from the White House by Ronald Reagan. They come and laugh at the American stupidity. This may mitigate that somewhat.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Hopefully the next administration will not remove them...

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

stop drinking the kool-aid

Sequester prevents us from touring the White house due to lack of money, yet they can install solar panels?

As long as we all understand the installation is for show and tell only, then I am okay. Anyone who thinks it indicates a shift in the USA and new view of the future needs to stop drinking the kool-aid.

FWIW, I have had an 8kW array in my backyard for the last three years. Why it took the White House 5 years to get it done during the sequester smells of baloney sausage.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Apparently they're hoping the 30% federal rebate on solar panel installation at "the House" will be enough to make a dent in the national debt.

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

#6 SCW-Greg, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    I wonder who was given the contract? Who's/which (American) solar arrays were chosen?

7. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Solyndra.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I hear the panels are cheap @ liquidation prices...

9. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

AS-is, no warranty. :)

10. lorih

lorih Member

OUCH!

11. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Given the GOP brand and changing demographics outside of gerrymandered congressional districts, it's hard to see anyone getting in the White House who would b inclined to go in the pro-oil direction for the foreseeable future.

- - - Updated - - -

HAHAHAHA :biggrin: