Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case, they haven't even filed any permit yet as I asked them to update design.

Yea, it's not fun to keep calling them every day or so and mine is far from over....yea, after they confirm they file the permit, I will start to "harass" the la county permit office. I heard that lead time will take at least 2-4 weeks.

Good luck with yours, I think you are at least half way there 😉
I realized about 3/4 of the way through the permit process that my city had an online portal where you could check the status of the permit. Maybe LA county had something like that? It took a month between filing the permit and issuance.

I realized about 3/4 of the way through the permit process that my city had an online portal where you could check the status of the permit. Maybe LA county had something like that? It took a month between filing the permit and issuance.
Yea LA county has the permit website but I won't be able to check until Tesla has confirmed they have submitted the application.

Did you get the PW+? Did they install the ugly looking Rapid shut off button which looked like the Bozo's nose?

Yea LA county has the permit website but I won't be able to check until Tesla has confirmed they have submitted the application.

Did you get the PW+? Did they install the ugly looking Rapid shut off button which looked like the Bozo's nose?
I ordered in March before the PW+ was out, so I just have two PW2s. I just have a blade disconnect between the solar generation panel and the gateway which acts as the rapid shutdown device.

I ordered in March before the PW+ was out, so I just have two PW2s. I just have a blade disconnect between the solar generation panel and the gateway which acts as the rapid shutdown device.

I see. I saw this on someone's posts before and hoping that I won't see it. Unfortunately, the latest design plan that Tesla sent me called for this part😔

With this big red button sticking out, someone or some kid would be very tempted to press and see what happens.

Attached is the photo I borrowed from internet.

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_214801.jpg
    IMG_20211110_214801.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 68
I see. I saw this on someone's posts before and hoping that I won't see it. Unfortunately, the latest design plan that Tesla sent me called for this part😔

With this big red button sticking out, someone or some kid would be very tempted to press and see what happens.

Even I tried to click on that on my screen :)

Big red button, must press...can't resist!

FWIW: Personally, I find it odd that in warmer states that all the breakers are outside for any random yahoo to come by and tinker with, and, yet, it never seems to happen. (Yes, I know, now required everywhere with NEC 230.85 for residential electrical disconnects.) So, perhaps your, and my, concerns are overblown? The same kid could flip your main breaker, but hasn't done that either so far. Right?

You can always put a draconian warning label over it, with a dummy, or not so dummy security camera...

All the best,

BG

FWIW: Personally, I find it odd that in warmer states that all the breakers are outside for any random yahoo to come by and tinker with, and, yet, it never seems to happen. (Yes, I know, now required everywhere with NEC 230.85 for residential electrical disconnects.) So, perhaps your, and my, concerns are overblown? The same kid could flip your main breaker, but hasn't done that either so far. Right?

You can always put a draconian warning label over it, with a dummy, or not so dummy security camera...

All the best,

BG
TBH, I think it's really silly. I understand it's for the safety of fire fighters but at least mount it higher. I saw they mount it at kids' height for someone. I will try to ask my installer to mount it higher at least at adults' height when they come. I do have a real camera at this side of the house, hopefully that can as a deterrent.

wondering if I can install the locked cover after PTO. At least, I want them to mount it at adult's height.
You can install it whenever you like (maybe a clear cover is best), as it is allowed. If you wait until after PTO, they you won't have to prove to anyone that it is allowed. And I suggest waiting until after the first time someone comes along and maliciously shuts off your PV, that way you'll probably never have to do it.

Cheers, Wayne

You can install it whenever you like (maybe a clear cover is best), as it is allowed. If you wait until after PTO, they you won't have to prove to anyone that it is allowed. And I suggest waiting until after the first time someone comes along and maliciously shuts off your PV, that way you'll probably never have to do it.

Cheers, Wayne
For some reason the red button is a hot button for many customers.

Most don't know that turning off breakers outside the house will do the same thing as pushing the red button. I blame that Ren and Stimpy space madness episode lol.

For some reason the red button is a hot button for many customers.

Most don't know that turning off breakers outside the house will do the same thing as pushing the red button. I blame that Ren and Stimpy space madness episode lol.

Is it against code to rig up a bunch of disconnect levers and buttons that don't actually do anything?

Like if you bought 20 of those Eaton button switches and just covered your wall with them. But 19 did nothing and 1 was actually hot.

The 19 dummy ones would have NEC placards that read "this is an ESS disconnect not" while the 1 hot one would read "this is an ESS disconnect"

• Funny
Reactions: GenSao and KHYE
TBH, I think it's really silly. I understand it's for the safety of fire fighters but at least mount it higher. I saw they mount it at kids' height for someone. I will try to ask my installer to mount it higher at least at adults' height when they come. I do have a real camera at this side of the house, hopefully that can as a deterrent.
I asked the install crew to install mine higher up so my kids couldn’t easily get to it and they had no problem with it. There is a cover you can buy for it, but I haven’t looked into it yet.

Reactions: KHYE
Is it against code to rig up a bunch of disconnect levers and buttons that don't actually do anything?

Like if you bought 20 of those Eaton button switches and just covered your wall with them. But 19 did nothing and 1 was actually hot.

The 19 dummy ones would have NEC placards that read "this is an ESS disconnect not" while the 1 hot one would read "this is an ESS disconnect"
You will have to change your avatar to
1636751009457.png
before you are allowed to do this. I would not do this myself as it's obviously asking for troubles by making my house into a playground for kids.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: holeydonut

NEC 110.22 seems to prevent this type of intentional confusion.

I suppose the 19 disconnects would be compliant if they were labeled appropriately (This button does nothing interesting) and arranged so as to make sense.

You will have to change your avatar to View attachment 732395 before you are allowed to do this. I would not do this myself as it's obviously asking for troubles by making my house into a playground for kids.

I wonder if Vines can design a wall like this for one of his customers...

Attachments

• 1636754585557.png
    1636754585557.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 40