Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar panels on standing seam metal roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to go with a dark gray/charcoal standing seam metal roof. There will be zero mystery about long term performance of the roof system and PV system. PV mounting system will clamp to standing seam meaning zero roof penetrations. Panasonic HITT 96 cell panels with ultra low .26% annual degradation after 1st year. They gurantee 90% of rated power at year 25. I will pair them with IQ7X enphase micros so I can monitor individual panels AND no single point of failure. 25 year warranty on panels and inverters.

This setup will cost me about 5K more than my original Tesla contract but about 10-15k cheaper than the new pricing. If I wanted a power wall (I don't) it would be about a wash with new pricing and free power wall BUT I will sleepy soundly not wondering the long term consequences of this big financial decision.

Always wondered this. So for anyone electing to go with a metal roof, will you be driven crazy every time it rains by the sound of water hitting the roof (or hail if you get that too), especially at night when you’re trying to get to sleep?

On our regular concrete roof tiles (pre-solar panels) we would hear the rain hitting directly on them as well as birds or squirrels moving around sometimes. I think with the panels that’s been cut way down due to the air gap between roof and panels (and adding pest abatement screening so no critters crawled underneath. We haven’t had a lot of nights of rain this season but honestly can’t recall being disturbed by the rain sound on the roof any more. Our master bedroom is on the second floor below the roof/attic space. Sometime still hear rain hitting the windows but that’s wind driven and seldom this year.

• Informative
Reactions: Fred42
Always wondered this. So for anyone electing to go with a metal roof, will you be driven crazy every time it rains by the sound of water hitting the roof (or hail if you get that too), especially at night when you’re trying to get to sleep?

On our regular concrete roof tiles (pre-solar panels) we would hear the rain hitting directly on them as well as birds or squirrels moving around sometimes. I think with the panels that’s been cut way down due to the air gap between roof and panels (and adding pest abatement screening so no critters crawled underneath. We haven’t had a lot of nights of rain this season but honestly can’t recall being disturbed by the rain sound on the roof any more. Our master bedroom is on the second floor below the roof/attic space. Sometime still hear rain hitting the windows but that’s wind driven and seldom this year.
It's a little noisier than an asphalt roof. Also, the roof is double covered with a self-adhering metal roofing underlayment, Firestone Clad-Gard SA. In my case the tear-off reseal subcontractor messed up and Tesla had to put a layer of Sharkskin Ultra SA over that. One thing that’s not quiet is when the snow comes barreling off the roof, (my roof is an 8.5 pitch). It startles you the first time you hear it, after that you pay it no mind.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I'm going to go with a dark gray/charcoal standing seam metal roof. There will be zero mystery about long term performance of the roof system and PV system. PV mounting system will clamp to standing seam meaning zero roof penetrations. Panasonic HITT 96 cell panels with ultra low .26% annual degradation after 1st year. They gurantee 90% of rated power at year 25. I will pair them with IQ7X enphase micros so I can monitor individual panels AND no single point of failure. 25 year warranty on panels and inverters.

This setup will cost me about 5K more than my original Tesla contract but about 10-15k cheaper than the new pricing. If I wanted a power wall (I don't) it would be about a wash with new pricing and free power wall BUT I will sleepy soundly not wondering the long term consequences of this big financial decision.
Thanks for the setup tips, am looking to do something similar. Have been looking at Metal roofs and am hoping that they will be able to raise my capacity to higher tha 5.5kw (i think i need closer to 12). Still interested in adding battery backup at some point.

I have a metal standing seam roof and installed thin-film self adhesive panels from Mia Sole. They look great. Most people don't even know I have solar. And they function as advertised. They have several available lengths, so you can fit them around roof components. My 22 kW system will produce upwards of 104 kWh's on its best day. I love the product! If you go that route, you have to have a "true" standing seam roof, because there are several varieties of metal roofs. It is more expensive, but it's a much better looking product if that's important to you.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder and cobra
I have a metal standing seam roof and installed thin-film self adhesive panels from Mia Sole. They look great. Most people don't even know I have solar. And they function as advertised. They have several available lengths, so you can fit them around roof components. My 22 kW system will produce upwards of 104 kWh's on its best day. I love the product! If you go that route, you have to have a "true" standing seam roof, because there are several varieties of metal roofs. It is more expensive, but it's a much better looking product if that's important to you.
Looks like an interesting product. Have you posted any additional details on the forum? Did you work with any local installers / suppliers? The MiaSole website says they are CA based, but 'How to Purchase' goes to Japan or Korea.

Edit: Well, MiaSole seems to be shutdown since pre-pandemic with no manufacturing going on, from one article I found from last year.

Last edited:

I'm also a fan of standing seam metal roofs, both for their looks (if installed well) and the easy PV attachment. I'm not a fan of enphase though. They end up being expensive, they have greater losses, and reliability is hit or miss. You may wish to consider SolarEdge.

As for panels, you can buy less fancy panels at 45 - 50¢ a watt that are warrantied out to 83% at 25 years.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of enphase though. They end up being expensive, they have greater losses, and reliability is hit or miss. You may wish to consider SolarEdge.

I know some earlier enphase micros had some issues but the IQ7X's on my Mom's house have been rock solid for the last 2 years, I guess time will tell but they do have a 25 year warranty and replacement is an easy under 10-15min job. If you google solaredge it has had some issues too. Also if you lose the central inverter with solar edge you lose the whole system while with micros you only lose a single panel worth of output. Also 25yr vs 12yr warranty (I know you can get 25 if you pay more for an extended). The micros just make for a very clean installation with minimal equipment.

Effeciency is 97% vs 99ish%. On a system that makes 10MWh a year system that is 200kwh per year or roughly $50 in electricity. It's not too bad a hit when you consider the better warranty and simpler repair for a warranty issue.

I'm sure Solaredge makes a good product but there is something to be said for simplicity and fewer parts.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Looks like an interesting product. Have you posted any additional details on the forum? Did you work with any local installers / suppliers? The MiaSole website says they are CA based, but 'How to Purchase' goes to Japan or Korea.

Edit: Well, MiaSole seems to be shutdown since pre-pandemic with no manufacturing going on, from one article I found from last year.
They are owned by a Chinese company that has had some accounting "issues", but I'm told by my installer that they're still in production and he can order product. There is a company called SunFlare (I think) that is supposed to soon produce an identical product. It really is an elegant solution. Even if the HOA would allow them, my wife would never have approved standard panels in the same quantity and locations as the thin film panels. I'll post a few pictures in a few days when I have network access to them.
Solar Roof Pic 1.jpg

As far as installers, I had to search for one that would work with the product. Most companies in my area just wanted to do standard panels. Since standard panels were prohibited by my HOA, I didn't have a choice in products if I wanted to do solar. As fortune would have it, the company that did my work is now the Tesla authorized dealer for South Carolina and is installing the Tesla Solar Roof, too. So, it pays to be a flexible and progressive company.

Solar Roof Pic 2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cobra and h2ofun
I'm looking forward to hearing production data. Not knowing better, I would guess that the standing seam will cast shade on the PV. And I don't understand how it cools.
I've never seen any shade from the seam. The seam only protrudes about two inches, so it would have to be a very low sun, on a flat roof, at a 90 degree angle, to produce shade. I produced 101 kWh's today - pretty much the max for this time of year. The summer heat in SC, along with a high sun angle, definitely effects summer production. Best months are March, April, and May. For the year, I'll produce about 2.2 MWh's, covering around 80% of my usage.

An interesting detail I ran across, there is a tax credit for metal roof installation, because it can be an energy improvement in 'approved colors'. Before getting excited, it's limited to $500 max... They also claim it can reduce roof temperature quite a bit.