Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Solar panels over clay tile

We have a Spanish tile roof and I was recently told by a Tesla Energy sales rep that they will not install solar panels over clay tiles. In fact, Tesla declined to even schedule a visit to work up a quote.

I explained that our roof was recently redone (2011) with a modified bitumen torch down underlayment (instead of traditional felt paper). This means the tiles are mostly decorative. The sales rep may not have understood this distinction, but still insisted that Tesla will not install over clay tiles.

I'm also curious if Tesla allows other solar companies to resell the Powerwall 2. We have a local solar installer (who WILL work over clay tile) that claims to be a "Certified Tesla Energy Powerwall Provider", but I haven't been able to confirm if this is true. We're planning on a 10kW install with two Powerwalls.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
I can understand them not wanting the extra risk of walking on tile along with the issues of handling fastener penetrations. The other company you mention sounds like they are more experienced with tile. Anecdotally, PW delivery seem to be backlogged, with priority to solar+PW.

Note that you don't need to install the solar and the Powerwalls together. I had a pre-existing solar installation before I got my Powerwalls. The reason I mention this is because Tesla seems to charge a lot less for the Powerwall installation than other contractors. My installation charge from Tesla came to $900 where the contractor who installed my solar quoted me $6500. Both quotes don't include the $11,700 in parts.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Note that you don't need to install the solar and the Powerwalls together. I had a pre-existing solar installation before I got my Powerwalls. The reason I mention this is because Tesla seems to charge a lot less for the Powerwall installation than other contractors. My installation charge from Tesla came to $900 where the contractor who installed my solar quoted me $6500. Both quotes don't include the $11,700 in parts.

When grouping PW with solar for the federal credit, do they need to be installed by the same company/ at the same time?

When grouping PW with solar for the federal credit, do they need to be installed by the same company/ at the same time?

Solar panels can be installed separately by a different contractor than Tesla. Ideally, solar panels should be installed first (prior to the Powerwall) or concurrently. Batteries installed prior to the solar panel installation do not qualify for the federal credit. See the Tesla FAQ for details.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
1. Are you sure it's clay tile not concrete? Both roof types can be walked on by a professional. Clay tiles problem is drilling through the tile for the mounts. It's more like drilling through glass. It's tricky and they can break, then you've got the problem of replacing the tiles. Concrete is much easier to drill through and is an easier install. Many roofers won't work on either clay or concrete, but clay is especially difficult. If yours is indeed clay get references from other clay roof customers. Do call the manufacturer of the tiles and ask their recommendations.

There's no need to drill clay tiles to mount solar panels. in the UK most roofing is clay tiles of some description. there are various mounting systems that involve removing a tile, mounting a plate with a U shaped arm to the roof and then reinstalling the tile. the mounting arm sticks out from underneath the tile.

however, it looks like cracking tiles is unavoidable

Eight tips for mounting solar on tile roofs

Radlaw

Charles
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2018
San Diego California
Tesla installed solar panels over red tile in my house, twice. The latest was this past February.
Solar1.jpg
solar2.jpg

Prasannakt

Mar 24, 2022
CA
Tesla installed solar panels over red tile in my house, twice. The latest was this past February.View attachment 532688 View attachment 532689
Which location is this? I’m looking for a similar installation. Do Tesla do all these by themselves, or do the my require a special 3rd party source to handle the clay tile installation ?
Any help is much appreciated.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC