Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels/Powerwalls and Generator - have to manually restart each morning!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in CT where we lost power from Tropical Storm Isaiah for several days. My Tesla Solar system includes 14.5KW of power from 44 Solar Panels connected to 2 Powerwalls. I also have a Generac 22kw generator connected to the system via an Automatic Switch. This storm was the first big multi-day outage where I was able to test the system.

Power went out and the system switched to the Powerwalls. The Powerwalls lasted until 10pm and then the Generator automatically kicked on. Perfect. Got up the next morning to brilliant sunshine but my generator was still running. Check the app and logged into the gateway and there was no solar production happening. I called Tesla support and they had me reset the Gateway and the system started right up. Generator switched off and I was now running on solar and powerwalls. Tesla support was not sure why. it did not restart, but said it should the next day.

That night powerwall ran out of juice, generator kicked in - all was good. Woke up on Day 2 and no solar - generator still running. Called Tesla Support again and this time I was told that is exactly how the system is suppose to work. You have to hit reset each day because the Powerwall does not have enough battery power to restart the system. I said my powerwalls have 10% left - that is not enough? So I hit reset and the solar came back on again.

I was told and thought the entire process would be automatic switching to generator and switching back. I asked Tesla support why can't I set the battery level so I would have enough power to restart the system in the morning. I was told that is not a feature people wanted. They wanted to run their batteries all the way down at night then hit reset to turn the system on in the morning.

My issue is the Gateway box is on the outside of my house about 6' up and I need a ladder to hit the reset. So in the middle of winter I'm going to have to go outside, shovel snow, get a ladder to hit the reset button each morning? Crazy - right?

Are other people experiencing this? Am I crazy to think this should be automatic and I should not have to hit the reset button each day to switch back to solar. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Oh and on Day 3 our power was restored.

• Informative
Reactions: diyguy
i just had a generac 22kw installed with 3 powerwalls & solar. it was explained to me upfront that everything would be automatic except the fail-back from generator to batteries. fail-back from generator to utility should be automatic. i don't recall anyone stating the logic behind this but i accepted it as how it would be

• Informative
Reactions: diyguy