Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels + Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to see Tesla produce a trailer, basically an 90kWh battery on wheels with solar panels at different angles
to catch the sun as you're driving long distances, sure the panels would only trickle charge but having 2-90kWh
batteries would give 800k + daily range.

Me too, but to be honest it could be a whole lot bigger and you camp out at a supercharger for a few hours to charge the sucker up. Someone could make it and rent it out for people going Perth to Adelaide or going to the Darwin etc.

I'd love to see Tesla produce a trailer, basically an 90kWh battery on wheels with solar panels at different angles
to catch the sun as you're driving long distances, sure the panels would only trickle charge but having 2-90kWh
batteries would give 800k + daily range.
The problem with this idea is that the range of the car would be drastically reduced by the extra power needed to tow the trailer.
I have only seen limited reports of the effect of towing with a Model X but the real effect is significant range reduction.
And I repeat my real world observation that I need 80 square meters of PV to get meaningful recharge capacity for the 85Kwh battery pack.

I thi
The words -- Atomic Bomb and Ant -- seem to occur in connection with that effort. Not even proof of concept. For a bright guy I'm not quite sure what he was thinking, but for publicity (I guess that was a good thing).
I think he was trying to demonstrate that regular high powered chargers make electric cars long range....but using an ICE to prove it was a touch ironic.

Ray, your ahead of your time. There are companies like Dyesol in Australia that are working on thin film PV technology. One day you might be able to roll out a thin carpet (much more portable than the one NovoGasGreeny found in the video) of the size needed to collect the energy to charge the car, then roll it up and drive off. They are looking for their technology to be suitable to apply as a film on windows in high rise buildings, so we are talking see through thin. Perhaps the whole car could be wrapped in the film which might not collect a lot of energy but something is better than nothing if it is outside for plenty of daylight hours.

I travel between two places 100ks apart. I have 5 kw at one & 2 kW at the other. The latter has about 50 kWhrs of storage and im prepared to use 20kWhrs of battery to get me home knowing that the bat will be recharged when im not there. In winter we supplement with off pk power at one end. The other end is off-grid.

I was looking at the title of this thread "Solar Panels + Tesla" and I would like to have an idea about:

- how many solar panels I would need to provide enough energy during a typical day to get 100 miles of EV range and
- how much storage battery I would need to store this energy to recharge overnight an EV and finally
- what would be the estimated cost for the solar panels, DC-DC charger, and battery storage, installation...?

For this evaluation, the house would be located in California, half-way between SF and LA, and the electricity
would be only used for charging the car batteries, there would be a possibility to use the grid in case of cloudy day.

I basically want to know if over at least a 10 years period, if this investment would be worthwhile compare
to using the grid seven days a week for getting 100 miles of range every night?

The cost of power in the USA is much lower than in Australia and varies by provider. It varies in Australia as well, but we generally speaking have the highest power cost in the world for a developed country. A unit ( or kWh) can vary here from around 19c to 45c. A huge factor when trying to work out a cost benefit analysis. Panels in the States are also cheaper than here.