Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar panels to Tesls Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Solarcity (now Tesla) Panels that wre installed in 2010 and still under contract. I wanted to get Powerall installed, but i see that Tesla now offeres Powewall+Panels or Powerwall + Solar tiles. Can they replace my existing Pnels with tiles if i signup for one?

Yes they can but it might be expensive. Plus if you are talking about a PPA or lease the answer is in that document. Is what you describe as "under contract" a lease or PPA? In many Solar City leases or PPAs there is an option to buy out the contract.

That option in solar city leases is not spelled out clearly, as to cost. I am going through that with tesla right now in fact (not going to get into those details here).

If the OP has a PPA, it is going to be a looong "road to hoe" so to speak, to try to get them to let them out of the PPA. You can buy it, but the original quote they will give you will include what they think they should be getting for the rest of the lease period as well, so the price to buy the system outright will be significantly more than a Larger system would cost right now (not just "a couple thousand" but thousands and thousands more).

(edit: changed "smaller" to "larger" system above. The price to buy it will be more than buying larger system would be, right now).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ampster