Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t use apps, just BBC weather

I started with that. It was so inaccurate I looked for alternate sources. Amongst those I tried the Met office - that was less reliable than the BBC! I wound up with the Australian lot, which I have found to be surprisingly accurate (today is a rare failure, and even that is within the tolerance of today's prediction - more the fool me for ignoring the "low graph line"). It seems to me that they are in business (Academia research project, I think?) to build a product that will then make a Big Business. Good for them, and I hope they are successful.

Other than that I'm doing pretty much what you are doing, except that I can do the API bit - but I don't have enough time to gold-plate it. And the stuff that ChatGPT kindly wrote for me definitely needs some tinkering :)

22kW fast chargers (64 Amps, per phase), plus two Powerwalls charging over 6 hours (20 Amps).

Do you actually need that "peak"? Or can they all PowerShare in some way? My PowerWall steps down (from 10kW to 3.5kW I think) if I have a car charging at 7kW. That obviously means that PowerWall won't fill within its normal timeslot ...

And if the Car Chargers PowerShare - so that rather than all of them start at midnight and be done by 10-past :) they charge the cars sequentially (or in parallel but at lower AMPs) - would that do?

I'm thinking that 22kW (if car supported it) over 4 hours = 300 miles - would it be rare for you to need that? on two cars the same night? (I'm just curious as to real world scenarios)

Reactions: ElectricPolice
Do you actually need that "peak"? Or can they all PowerShare in some way? My PowerWall steps down (from 10kW to 3.5kW I think) if I have a car charging at 7kW. That obviously means that PowerWall won't fill within its normal timeslot ...

And if the Car Chargers PowerShare - so that rather than all of them start at midnight and be done by 10-past :) they charge the cars sequentially (or in parallel but at lower AMPs) - would that do?

I'm thinking that 22kW (if car supported it) over 4 hours = 300 miles - would it be rare for you to need that? on two cars the same night? (I'm just curious as to real world scenarios)

Could do, yeah. In the future.

Here's an example from last Winter...

... and adding another 11kW car charging into this picture, which we'll have during this coming Winter.

Won't be long before cars can charge at the full 22kW.

In reality, I'll just have to mix and match now with load Balancing during the cheap hours, but it shows how quickly you can eat up '3-Phase' on 80 Amps, during limited cheap-rate charge periods.

Screenshot_20230530_205107_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: WannabeOwner
An example two years ago... Father in Law hospitalised... ferrying family all over the place for two weeks.

An example last year. Pregnant daughter in and out of Hospital. Visitors couldn't stay. 150 mile round trip each time, twice daily at one point.

Same goes for other energy intensive travel arrangements like Funerals, help moving house, family events, distance commuting etc...

Being able to charge the car quickly at home, was really handy and stress free.

This year, we'll have two electric cars that we can use in rotation, fast chargers are good.

... and saves a ton of money.

I know you can pop into Tesla Supercharger sites, but sometimes you just want to go home in between journeys.

Last edited:
There's also one other reason.

National Grid limitations.

At the moment, while all this is 'novel' ... it's fairly 'easy' to get stuff signed off.

But I also think in the future, National Grid will seriously start limiting what people can have.

Get in early, have it all.

Get in late, get nothing.
I think there’s a terminology/organisation issue here. AFAIK the National Grid has nothing to do with domestic installations. They don’t have a problem supplying sufficient power via their top level backbone. The issues are at the distribution end of the supply networks … so the issues/challenges described are the responsibility of the DNOs … of which there are several, most likely with different policies depending on their local infrastructure and demand.

Reactions: DaveNN
I think there’s a terminology/organisation issue here. AFAIK the National Grid has nothing to do with domestic installations. They don’t have a problem supplying sufficient power via their top level backbone. The issues are at the distribution end of the supply networks … so the issues/challenges described are the responsibility of the DNOs … of which there are several, most likely with different policies depending on their local infrastructure and demand.
"National Grid" is the new name of the-company-formerly-known-as Western Power Distribution.
They are the DNO serving the West Midlands and (if I'm not mistaken) a chunk of North Wales.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and PITA

Western Power (DNO) are now National Grid (DNO).

So my terminology for my area (West Midlands) is accurate.

Things are changing all the time... which is somewhat worrying. As Western Power seemed more 'localised' decision making... whereas National Grid seem 'National policy' driven... which can impede / limit some domestic property locations I think.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Western Power (DNO) are now National Grid (DNO).

So my terminology for my area (West Midlands) is accurate.

Things are changing all the time...
Quite a confusing change! Everyone used to know what we called the National Grid … but this new National Grid isn’t even a National grid ;) . Nevertheless it’s useful for us all to keep track of whether we are talking about the ESO (old National grid) or one of several different DNO companies.

Quite a confusing change! Everyone used to know what we called the National Grid … but this new National Grid isn’t even a National grid ;) . Nevertheless it’s useful for us all to keep track of whether we are talking about the ESO (old National grid) or one of several different DNO companies.

Whether we talk about Western Power or National Grid there is one commonality...

They all rolled their eyes, laughed out loud, when I said "imagine all homes like our house"

Followed by their reply... "We'd stand no chance"

Guys on the ground know the score.

The DNO are at ours in a few weeks, to finally unloop us ( detached property but on the end of a loop of another two houses).
Road up, both paths, block paving up, meter cupboard at front of the house ( lovely), jointed and -later- reinstated.
All gratis .
Not sure what they'll make of the solar and batteries, I've not sorted the legalities with that yet.
House to the side of mine has a 7.2kw charger.
Looped to their next door, the DNO aren't bothered as and I quote " it's been installed for a few years and it hasn't caused a problem yet".

The DNO are at ours in a few weeks, to finally unloop us ( detached property but on the end of a loop of another two houses).
Road up, both paths, block paving up, meter cupboard at front of the house ( lovely), jointed and -later- reinstated.
All gratis .
Not sure what they'll make of the solar and batteries, I've not sorted the legalities with that yet.
House to the side of mine has a 7.2kw charger.
Looped to their next door, the DNO aren't bothered as and I quote " it's been installed for a few years and it hasn't caused a problem yet".

Ask them for a 3 Phase Upgrade, free of charge.

I did... they agreed.

BUT, you MUST ask them.

They will upgrade to 3 Phase cabling, and a 3 Phase cutout, but only connect one phase to your meter. You can then decide what to do later.

Don't upgrade to a Smart Meter until after the work is complete, preferably...

Just to clarify my comment above about the Smart Meter...

DNO's can't physically move Smart Meters. Only the Electric Utility Provider can do this. So it complicates the job, waiting for each Organisation to do their bit...

However, a DNO can move an analogue meter. So the job is much more fluid and less delay / inconvenience to you. Once it's relocated into the new meter box, you can then apply for a Smart Meter upgrade whenever you want.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Just to clarify my comment above about the Smart Meter...

DNO's can't physically move Smart Meters. Only the Electric Utility Provider can do this. So it complicates the job, waiting for each Organisation to do their bit...

However, a DNO can move an analogue meter. So the job is much more fluid and less delay / inconvenience to you. Once it's relocated into the new meter box, you can then apply for a Smart Meter upgrade whenever you want.
just to clarify:
DNO has to provide exact date/time of move and power supplier can disconnect and reconnect meter at the same time/date. so you can do it all in one go.

been there couple of months ago (insurance claim)

just to clarify:
DNO has to provide exact date/time of move and power supplier can disconnect and reconnect meter at the same time/date. so you can do it all in one go.

been there couple of months ago (insurance claim)

Maybe my DNO comment was due to Covid Restrictions at the time, for us. Causing chaos.

Trying to organise two firms, on the same day was not easy 😀

Easier to keep them separated if it can be planned that way.

Anyways...

Reactions: DaveNN and roadcred
Ask them for a 3 Phase Upgrade, free of charge.

I did... they agreed.

BUT, you MUST ask them.

They will upgrade to 3 Phase cabling, and a 3 Phase cutout, but only connect one phase to your meter. You can then decide what to do later.

Don't upgrade to a Smart Meter until after the work is complete, preferably...
Sadly, I have a Smet2 meter now ( autocorrect turned that to Smethwick, how awful)

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro