Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its worth pointing out that GivEnergy are refreshing their product line. They've launched a new 9.5kWh battery and a new hybrid inverter with a higher 3.6kW output.
No idea on prices, but if they are priced somewhere near the current prices then 2 x 2nd generation inverters and 2 x 9.5kWh batteries would cheaper than a Powerwall and offer 7.2kW of battery output and 19kWh of storage.
I spoke with them last week in relation to batteries and inverter.
They are releasing the 9.5kW soon (guessing once existing stock of 8.2kW is depleted) but they said the inverter is still a fair way off?

Reactions: Zakalwe
if similarly priced, 9.5 would be good - I was thinking two of the 5.2 but 9.5 is close enough if cheaper. I need an AC inverter though so the new hybrid woudln't help I don't think - unless I can use it as an AC one alongside an existing PV inverter? I'd appreciate the higher output possibility
Best ask that on the GivEnergy forum, to be honest:

if similarly priced, 9.5 would be good - I was thinking two of the 5.2 but 9.5 is close enough if cheaper. I need an AC inverter though so the new hybrid woudln't help I don't think - unless I can use it as an AC one alongside an existing PV inverter? I'd appreciate the higher output possibility
Supply will be a problem, I guess along with everything else.

Both products have gone live on the GE website this week with no prices or supply dates.

Supply will be a problem, I guess along with everything else.

Both products have gone live on the GE website this week with no prices or supply dates.
I've just been on web chat with Givenergy- batteries should be available for pre-order from next week, inverters available from end this next quarter (June time) - I asked about price, small increase on existing equivalent.

Reactions: Zakalwe
Its worth pointing out that GivEnergy are refreshing their product line. They've launched a new 9.5kWh battery and a new hybrid inverter with a higher 3.6kW output.
No idea on prices, but if they are priced somewhere near the current prices then 2 x 2nd generation inverters and 2 x 9.5kWh batteries would cheaper than a Powerwall and offer 7.2kW of battery output and 19kWh of storage.
I've just downloaded the data sheets for both gen1 and gen2 inverter, and both batteries.
There is no reference about maximum charge/discharge output of the new battery.
The only information is in relation to the inverters, 3.6 or 5kW depending on the model but on the gen1 inverters were limited to 2.6kW to/from the battery.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is still the same but can't find any further information.

GivEnergy Gen 2 Hybrid has 1kW more input / output from / to the battery (3.6kW versus 2.6kW for the Gen 1).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: 94jdh
I've just been on web chat with Givenergy- batteries should be available for pre-order from next week, inverters available from end this next quarter (June time) - I asked about price, small increase on existing equivalent.
If they maintain near the same prices then that really is a win:win. Two inverters and two batteries could really be a winner.

Reactions: 94jdh
I notice in the terms and conditions for the Tesla Energy Plan, it says that you can not use (eg must disconnect or disable) any solar diversion devices when you're on the plan.

We have a Zappi and Eddi which currently charge the car and heat our hot water cylinder with excess solar. Why would they want to prevent it on the plan? And how could they enforce it?

I notice in the terms and conditions for the Tesla Energy Plan, it says that you can not use (eg must disconnect or disable) any solar diversion devices when you're on the plan.

We have a Zappi and Eddi which currently charge the car and heat our hot water cylinder with excess solar. Why would they want to prevent it on the plan? And how could they enforce it?
There was an earlier question about how you choose what to prioritise. Possibly they don't want to chance on this chain being set up in their favour (totally understand they have first dibs, but it is mad to just not use power that is being generated and nothing else can be done with.)

There was an earlier question about how you choose what to prioritise. Possibly they don't want to chance on this chain being set up in their favour (totally understand they have first dibs, but it is mad to just not use power that is being generated and nothing else can be done with.)
Wouldn't they want some of that power exported so that others could use it?

Had my first Powerwall and 4 extra panels commissioned on Monday, but Tesla has not activated the time based charging on my Powerwall, so I have to charge the 4 hour cheap GO period at just 1.7kW instead of at 5kW.

However, the good news is the extra solar panels and Powerwall has brought down my average cost per kWh to 7.8p with a daily cost of £2.56 for energy and this is because my solar panels have helped charge the Powerwall. Hoping to be under £2 a day soon.

Reactions: init6
@RichardTheKing
I am looking at whether getting solar and a powerwall makes sense (versus other batteries). Would be interested to see how you generated the ROI graph in this post. Is it one you created or does it exist somewhere else?

As a high electricity user 11300KWh/yr the potential savings of the Tesla Energy Plan will probably justify the extra cost, but having trouble finding a way to quantify it as all the online calculators can't cope with the Tesla Energy Plan.
The TEP even at 11p in and out is hugely beneficial and totally without stress. It is a really great way to not worry about the clock or timers. It enables you to live life as normal. The bonus is it does it more frugaly than any other tariff. Hardly noticed the tariff increase from 8p to 11p but the introduction of a standing charge was a straight tax, most unfair.

Reactions: KennethS and init6