Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need it to pretty much load up on off peak most of the time and use solar for top up, but sounds like it prefers to focus on one or the other?

That's what I do (PowerWall, dunno about other systems). I set the Peak to be overnight cheap-rate period, and Peak to be when I want it to discharge (there's a shoulder period inbetween the two ("Time based control" rather than "Self powered"), I have allowed that the car might continue charging after Peak etc. My solar rarely exceeds my house background use (several servers running here :( ) so by the time the sun is heading for peak I already have discharged some battery, but you might want PowerWall discharge immediately after Peak - on the basis that your panels will top it back up once the sun is up ... i.e. to avoid the point when you have peak solar and not enough battery "space"

If I know I'm having a scheduled powercut I move the "backup reserve" slider from, say, 10% normal to 100%, plus Tesla will send it a "Storm Watch" signal if weather forecast is terrible - that does the same thing.

Does it include a Gateway 2?
that's a great price! Is that a local installer or national? If they cover South Wales please share their details :)
Wow, that is super cheap. I got quoted 11.5k for Powerwall + gateway, SE England.

I think installers are increasing prices given demand and lack of stock in the UK!
Here you go: Home Page

These prices are based on a standard install, which means local to your incoming supply.

Here you go: Home Page

These prices are based on a standard install, which means local to your incoming supply.
You can easily get sucked in chasing the cheapest quote (pre site survey) which almost certainly will increase when a site survey has been done. In the meantime you’ve wasted several weeks which means a later delivery and possibly increased prices again due to demand.

You can easily get sucked in chasing the cheapest quote (pre site survey) which almost certainly will increase when a site survey has been done. In the meantime you’ve wasted several weeks which means a later delivery and possibly increased prices again due to demand.
When I was looking at a powerwall I provided quite concise drawings and photos with dimensions and alternative locations - as this was a standard install due to its position ( not the other side of the house) it wouldn't incur any further additional costs.

Reactions: Yachtsman
including battery only? If it requires solar as well it doesn't move the needle for me. If just battery then I'll jump asap

5 years might be a timeline that works for heatpump too - think my boiler will be pretty tired by then. But we're combi and like many have removed the tank and we've used for an en suite. Really need more space for a 'plant room' in the house - battery/multiple inverters/distribution boards, HW tank/sunamp etc..

I think you might have it wrong... the 20% on batteries remains as far as I can see.

It's just the solar goes to 0%.

But that assumes you're able to get someone to come and fit it before they stop the discounts. At the rate I'm going I doubt that'll happen.

As above, pretty sure batteries remain at 20%:

2.9 Energy-saving materials covered by the reduced rate​

Subject to one of the social policy conditions being satisfied or the 60% threshold not being exceeded, the reduced rate applies to the installation of the following energy-saving materials:

Also crucially "or the 60% threshold not being exceeded" means that any battery on the installation would mean the PV panels wouldn't qualify for 0%. As the total hardware cost will exceed 60% (with installation/labour making up 40% ).