Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to slap my wrists this morning!
Bruv and his wife are staying for a couple of days and came in their BMW i3.
stuck it on charge from the Powerwall last night for a 5KWh boost from the Zappi to give enough for popping out today.
Forgot to put Zappi in stop mode and it used my preset Octopus Go timer draining the Powerwall to the reserve.
it cost me a couple of peak rate kWh once it had finished Damn!
I could have finished the job today with solar!

Reactions: googlepeakoil
Had to slap my wrists this morning!
Bruv and his wife are staying for a couple of days and came in their BMW i3.
stuck it on charge from the Powerwall last night for a 5KWh boost from the Zappi to give enough for popping out today.
Forgot to put Zappi in stop mode and it used my preset Octopus Go timer draining the Powerwall to the reserve.
it cost me a couple of peak rate kWh once it had finished Damn!
I could have finished the job today with solar!
Could you have put one Zappi on non-backup? Both our 7kW Tesla Gen2 and SyncEV chargers are on non-backup as I really don't mind them consuming power at 5p at night. During the day, when it is sunny, I don't mind one of them sucking a bit of juice out of the PW if I know it will be recharged?

Our second PW is still not here, and I've heard rumours of no PW deliveries until September; I hope this is not true.

Could you have put one Zappi on non-backup? Both our 7kW Tesla Gen2 and SyncEV chargers are on non-backup as I really don't mind them consuming power at 5p at night. During the day, when it is sunny, I don't mind one of them sucking a bit of juice out of the PW if I know it will be recharged?

Our second PW is still not here, and I've heard rumours of no PW deliveries until September; I hope this is not true.
PW delay is a pain. I haven’t heard anything locally.
My setup works fine. My memory doesn’t. :mad: My fault. I usually put the Zappi’s in stop mode overnight or don’t leave the cars plugged in.
it only cost me 73p so no big deal. It’s just the principle 😂

Hi DNO question! Is a G99 required to enable off grid/ island mode for power outages on the Powerwall? I have a supplier saying that they can just notify the DNO after install(5kW PV plus Powerwall) I assume it’s all full fat g99 unless the battery and PV are limited to 16A each and island mode off.

Hi DNO question! Is a G99 required to enable off grid/ island mode for power outages on the Powerwall? I have a supplier saying that they can just notify the DNO after install(5kW PV plus Powerwall) I assume it’s all full fat g99 unless the battery and PV are limited to 16A each and island mode off.

I didn't think it was needed as PW was one of the few projects that had been pre-licensed for off grid?

Reactions: nickLeeds
On a slightly different note does anybody know what Octopus day and night times are? I’ve got two different answers.

Makes a difference of course especially with the day time limit.

Need to know when to charge the car, etc etc.

I think some of their deals are contract specific?
Mine aren’t stated and simply defined as night and day. But is that BST now? Been given two different answers. Perhaps me being cynical but it’s a devils own job to get any provider to give an answer. Should be on our bills.

And so we all just might be paying peak rate/ using expensive peak rates for an hour or at least using our yearly day time allowance??

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
Saw this and thought of, well, everyone here...

Stackable batteries up to 38kwh. At which point I assume you need some reinforcement in your garage floor.
That's funny just read it on my Google feed - must be our search history!

• Funny
Reactions: Avendit
Hi sorry another DNO question! If I have a quote for a Solar Edge invertor, Powerwall 2 with gateway all G100 certified and limited to 3.68/16A export. Can I just notify this? My installer suggested you can G99/100 notify it and the DNO is happy. I assumed full G99 for this so called the DNO and they said ideally they would be asked first. Ideally to me means they might not care. I know they have to allow 16A export (same as G98) but it’s the fault etc that is hard to know. E.g what happens in the 5s if all inverters are accidentally exporting uncapped.

I think it will vary greatly depending on your location in the UK. Here's a map of the PV potential:

View attachment 745227

Much as I'd love solar panels, the pay off is just too long.
I agree with you init6

I’m in the Algarve, with 300 sunny days a year.

A decent PV installation is around €9K, but the savings only €600 per year.
Far better to put the €9K into a decent S and P tracker such as Vangaurd. Then it probably will deliver more reward than the solar panels will.

if you were bold and put it into Bitcoin (just suggesting, not recommending 😂) You would probably get 25% annual return.

One poster above wrote; “I’m on track to break even in about 10 years.”

Imagine his return if hed put the money straight into a Vanguard tracker SIPP or similar.

Why faff with solar panels?

Last edited:
A decent PV installation is around €9K, but the savings only €600 per year.
Far better to put the €9K into a decent S and P tracker such as Vangaurd. Then it probably will deliver more reward than the solar panels will.

My maths don't work for that (but I dunno what Vangaurd yield is).

I have two choices:
  1. I make an investment in something, then withdraw the "interest" received to pay my electricity bill each year
    ... and likely have to pay tax on that withdrawal
  2. I invest in Solar panels, and that reduces my electricity bill
  • Electricity bill will most likely increase over time (lets say in line with inflation)
  • If I withdraw the interest from my investment then the capital amount stays the same, so my "interest" is fixed. (If interest exceeds electricity bill then I can reinvest that)
If Capital = €9K, PV saving on electricity bill (this year) is €600, then the investment must make at least 7% (i.e. after tax) to pay the €600 electricity bill.

Assuming inflation never exceeds 3% for 20 years :rolleyes: and investment manages 8% every year then there is a surplus on the investment (I'll assume reinvested) until year 10 ... after that the electricity bill exceeds the interest and by year 20 an additional €280 annual payment will be needed

So basically inflation has got to stay under 3% and investment has got to do better than 9%, every year, to break even in 20 years

And that is assuming that there is no tax to pay on the [withdrawal off the] income from the investment.

If electricity price goes up unexpectedly for any reason, as at present, then unless the investment is similarly spectacular that year, then PV is going to win.

My view is that:

If likely to sell the house "soon" then PV is a hard decision to make
If approaching retirement then locking in PV-pays-for-X%-of electricity-usage - "forever" - works

Portugal (like UK) has great off-shore wind generation.

I do wonder if the Eco-credentials of "Every house installs PV panels" is better/worse for the planet then "Economy of scale off-shore grid-generation from Wind".

I expect there are some benefits from my PV exporting and supporting the grid locally ...

... but if I just plug into the grid, and the grid becomes greener-and-greener over time, I get the benefit of that improvement without doing anything.
... but I am susceptible to unexpected price increases - e.g. the cost of the Nuclear "background" that UK has chosen to install, and perhaps the capital cost of grid installing batteries in the future.

If I get a car, in a few years time, with a battery which can discharge to run my house, then I will be able to "store" electricity from off-short wind, when it is at its cheapest, and run the house during the time when electricity consumption is high / expensive

Because some people put value in things other than just money.
I, for one, value some level of self-sufficiency and added energy security and quite like the idea of reduced direct carbon emissions…
Hard to translate that into a currency, it’s very much emotional and also some level of gambling, up to a point.