Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it isn't the biggest problem with my home energy, which is gas currently up from 2.9p to 7.3p variable and definitely going to at least 11/12p in October? That is 400% up in 12 months!

Am surprised more people on here aren't the same. Its only this month our gas bill is less than our electricity bill, the price cap increase is really noticeable.

Come this winter our gas bill is going to be as high as £28 PER day.

52100101264_12c2d507d4_c_d.jpg

Going to a heat pump etc wouldn't help either, as we know how useless solar PV is in winter. We already have a 4KW solar PV panel, and a PW that charges off peak. But on days in the winter when we use alot of electricity, the cost is very noticeable. If we had no gas heating, our total electricity bill would £20+ per day quite easily.

Unless you are on the 15p/5p Octopus traiff and have no gas heating, this winter we are all in the same situation......though in an desperate attempt to distract the government looks like they finally might do the right thing and give some meaningful help to house holds!

52100105144_1d96c695fb_c_d.jpg

Should I get rid of the existing solar water panel

I have solar thermal (and plenty of PV). Solar Thermal has been up since long before I had PV (they are evacuated tubes, rather than flat-panel, so most probably better in the shoulder months). That's for Domestic Hot Water, my Father in Law had some fitted at the same time (so 2nd source of data for me). I also have some flat panel solar thermal for the pool.

I think there are a couple of things to consider:

When they produce they always produce ... so that heat has to go somewhere. You can just rely on an expansion vessel to "expand" but I think that puts a lot of heat stress on the system. So really you need another place to dump the heat - e.g. a Pool :) My Father in Law's system turns on his radiators in the situation. Not ideal in Summer, but in reality I don't think he's really aware of it - the radiator space probably loses the small amount of excess heat relatively easily.

The problem I have with them is maintenance. PV is fire-and-forget. If you get a leak / air into the Solar Thermal it needs sorting out. My evacuated tubes (and my Father in Law) have "just worked". My flat panels have been no end of trouble from day one. Leaks and air creeping in. I've given up on them ... and, for a pool, I think PV and a Heat Pump would be a MUCH better solution. Use the Grid to run the Heat Pump in early / late months, if you want to, and in mid Summer (when my pool Solar Thermal was working the pool was like a sauna ...) just use the PV for something else.

Diverting excess PV to an immersion heater is easy (albeit a lousy use of electricity), but nowadays people are increasingly likely to divert to EV

I reckon I get more "hot water" out of my Solar Thermal than I would by replacing them with PV (and using that to heat Hot Water) ... but ... the maintenance is a cost and annoyance. Also, how to know if Solar Thermal is working? working well? My control panel records the kWh (or similar) generated, and I read that manually (to a spreadsheet) each week. But we have immersion on a timer for "end of Off Peak" to make sure we have hot water in morning ... in Summer it doesn't do any work, in Winter the central heating would normally do that job ... but the rest of the time if the normal solution stops working the backup immersion solution just takes over and we have no idea something is bust ...

All these blinking things should come with the ability to alert "Something Wrong". Central Heating thermostat detects that the temperature is below SET, and send the signal for "Call for heat". An hour later the thermostat has fallen another degree - what does it do? Nothing! Just continue "call for heat". Utterly useless in this day and age ... so basically you come home to a freezing cold house (and maybe burst pipes) and only then are you able to start doing something about it.

If the Solar Thermal panels are working well maybe keep them. When they break I would replace them with PV. Would you be able to "just add some PV panels" at that time? And would you have the cost of putting up scaffolding? Can you find out how well they have been working, from existing home owner?

I'm thinking, taking all that into account, the solution would be "Solar Thermal on eBay" ... and go for the best optimised layout for PV instead

Somewhere on the internet will be a figure for annual production of kWh from Solar Thermal vs. PV and that might be significantly in Solar Thermal favour ... except for what happens when it is over producing in Summer.

Come this winter our gas bill is going to be as high as £28 PER day.

Going to a heat pump etc wouldn't help either, as we know how useless solar PV is in winter. We already have a 4KW solar PV panel, and a PW that charges off peak. But on days in the winter when we use alot of electricity, the cost is very noticeable. If we had no gas heating, our total electricity bill would £20+ per day quite easily.

Unless you are on the 15p/5p Octopus traiff and have no gas heating, this winter we are all in the same situation......though in an desperate attempt to distract the government looks like they finally might do the right thing and give some meaningful help to house holds!
ouch! I only have data handy as far back as March, but it looks like the worst day then was ~40kwh - £12 of electric at todays prices. I think that may have peaked at £15 in the actual winter. (5 bed house for ref)

I'm still at the spreadsheeting phase, but e7 is currently looking better for us as a heatpump user as you can squeeze a bunch of 'heating up the house' into the cheaper rate, as well as charging the car etc. Something to consider.

Other than that, time to geek out about insulation and draft proofing if you haven't already :(. Heat is now officially expensive, so once you have paid to make it, DON'T LET IT ESCAPE!

Reactions: gangzoom and init6
I had a survey done for solar yesterday. they say I can expect a) the DNO to be annoying, and scupper all plans, b) the solar part to take at least another 6 months (I started the conversation about this in Feb), and c) Tesla won't accept orders for powerwalls as >15months before they can deliver them.

So even if I want to get all this ASAP, have the money ready... seems it's very much a waiting game.

Currently I'm waiting on the DNO to scupper it all (such wonky logic as needing an export limiter, and then insisting the solar array is no bigger than the export limit anyway).

I had a survey done for solar yesterday. they say I can expect a) the DNO to be annoying, and scupper all plans, b) the solar part to take at least another 6 months (I started the conversation about this in Feb), and c) Tesla won't accept orders for powerwalls as >15months before they can deliver them.

So even if I want to get all this ASAP, have the money ready... seems it's very much a waiting game.

Currently I'm waiting on the DNO to scupper it all (such wonky logic as needing an export limiter, and then insisting the solar array is no bigger than the export limit anyway).
It seems incredibly stupid and shortsighted that the DNO can decide what you do in your own home.
Fair enough to set export limits and ensure the equipment installed will stick to them but surely what happens from the meter onwards is none of their business?

It seems incredibly stupid and shortsighted that the DNO can decide what you do in your own home.
Fair enough to set export limits and ensure the equipment installed will stick to them but surely what happens from the meter onwards is none of their business?

exactly.

'can you guarantee no export to the grid in event of a power cut, to ensure our maintenance engineers are safe?'
'can you guarantee no export above x KWh to prevent undue strain on the local network?'

yes to both - fill your boots

Potential to look at install work where the solar and battery are unique installs (and retrofitted together)?

Noting the above, Powerwalls are like unicorns atm, but there are a good number of other manufacturers you may have an easier time negotiating batteries for the home with (via your installers etc)?

Compared to a powerwall, you could even find a battery+inverter combo that gives greater storage and charge/discharge rates for a significantly cheaper price - options at least.

Reactions: phil4
Thanks, defo going to be a two part install... solar first. Shame that even that is a long way out... but hey.

I've looked at a variety of battery options, and the PW seems to offer the best combination of price, size, power, storage type balance for what I'm after.

Thanks, defo going to be a two part install... solar first. Shame that even that is a long way out... but hey.

I've looked at a variety of battery options, and the PW seems to offer the best combination of price, size, power, storage type balance for what I'm after.
Have you monitored your daily consumption (inc. max & min) that will help you decide the capacity and discharge rate of the battery you require.

Have you monitored your daily consumption (inc. max & min) that will help you decide the capacity and discharge rate of the battery you require.

Yep, got all that, including days with any car charging excluded. Kitchen is the main draw for "peak", and know the "baseload" too.

Knowing my luck if I come up with a different solution, I'll have to reapply to the DNO, and wait another 3+ months for their response :)

Yep, got all that, including days with any car charging excluded. Kitchen is the main draw for "peak", and know the "baseload" too.

Knowing my luck if I come up with a different solution, I'll have to reapply to the DNO, and wait another 3+ months for their response :)
Solax inverters - their hybrid models may say on the box "5KW" but the discharge/charge in the fine print is 6000W sustained!
Do batteries aswell.

Reactions: phil4
Pretty much. Harder without the smart meter.

For me one of my primary aims is covering that base as much of the time as possible, hence the NE facing panels and enough so that even on cloudy days I can feel like my servers etc are not killing the planet.

Unfortunately, our base load at night is 1kW, and I know this from the Tesla App on my PW. During the day our base load rises to 1.4kW and in winter with the heat pumps running we are over 2kW. However, we have two extra Powerwalls being installed by the end of October, so we should not be consuming any peak price electricity on the GO tariff except during the coldest months.

As has been repeated before, two Powerwalls is the sweet spot and with a high base load, three are really needed.

Unfortunately, our base load at night is 1kW, and I know this from the Tesla App on my PW. During the day our base load rises to 1.4kW and in winter with the heat pumps running we are over 2kW. However, we have two extra Powerwalls being installed by the end of October, so we should not be consuming any peak price electricity on the GO tariff except during the coldest months.

As has been repeated before, two Powerwalls is the sweet spot and with a high base load, three are really needed.

I calculated Four is perfect. Basically 50 kWh.

Because in Winter the cold increases the Battery Management activity which reduces capacity... plus you'll want to increase your 'backup' minimum level should the worst happen.

If you're a higher energy user like us, then during the depths of Winter... Four Powerwalls would keep it all sweet.

That's why I'm waiting for Powerwall 3 as I need another 25 kWh for our setup

Last edited:
I calculated Four is perfect. Basically 50 kWh.

Because in Winter the cold increases the Battery Management activity which reduces capacity... plus you'll want to increase your 'backup' minimum level should the worst happen.

If you're a higher energy user like us, then during the depths of Winter... Four Powerwalls would keep it all sweet.

That's why I'm waiting for Powerwall 3 as I need another 25 kWh for our setup
Only but a mere 35kWh going into deepest darkest winter my side. .

Already planning how to ration the kitchen cabinets for firewood.