Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So our install via eon was a bit of a disaster today, contractors arrived at 8am, no kit (arrived at 1030) scaffolders due at 8am arrived at 13.45 so the install team bailed.

They did manage to install the batteries and the inverter and run the cable to the roof and a very neat job, BUT they now won't be back until 10th October to finish!.

Polite but firm email sent to eon an awaiting response, can't even watch sky as the scaffolding obscures the dish!

Will update

So our install via eon was a bit of a disaster today, contractors arrived at 8am, no kit (arrived at 1030) scaffolders due at 8am arrived at 13.45 so the install team bailed.

They did manage to install the batteries and the inverter and run the cable to the roof and a very neat job, BUT they now won't be back until 10th October to finish!.

Polite but firm email sent to eon an awaiting response, can't even watch sky as the scaffolding obscures the dish!

Will update
Sorry to hear that, the industry seems to be in chaos at the moment. I was expecting to hear about an install in late August or early September but it was confirmed earlier today for late October. This is around 3 weeks later than my worst case expectation but very little I can do about it unfortunately. At least it's in process and the 19kwh of batteries will be a big help over winter, even if it is all late.

Reactions: PITA
That's a pretty rare combination to achieve. If you've got enough battery to absorb a burst of fine days in mid-summer, then those batteries are probably not earning their keep in the rest of the year. It could make sense on that basis if there is only a small amount of generation and the batteries are primarily there for off-peak arbitrage rather than storing the solar, but that doesn't usually make sense in terms of the balance of cost between batteries and panels.

So I think most people still end up exporting a fair bit even if they don't aim to do so.
I'm not so sure. In July we exported 6kWh of the 840kWh we generated, and that 6 would have been less if I had been more careful. My batteries are really to avoid peak power costs, and we bought just 1kWh in July at peak rate and over 700 at the 5p offpeak rate. I'm tight.

most people still end up exporting a fair bit
That's why I don't get why people keep talking about vehicle to grid connections. The main high electricity demand during the time that ev's are typically plugged in is (will often be) other people charging ev's!

And the problem for many ev’s is finding time to be plugged in to charge. If you are lucky enough to have solar and somewhere to plug the carbon during the day, that should be one place you can keep dumping PV energy.

So far this year July not so good as the smart meter installer broke a sensor!)

IMG_20220801_213544.jpg

That's a pretty rare combination to achieve. If you've got enough battery to absorb a burst of fine days in mid-summer, then those batteries are probably not earning their keep in the rest of the year. It could make sense on that basis if there is only a small amount of generation and the batteries are primarily there for off-peak arbitrage rather than storing the solar, but that doesn't usually make sense in terms of the balance of cost between batteries and panels.

So I think most people still end up exporting a fair bit even if they don't aim to do so.

We hardly export any Solar, it mostly all gets used.

This year we've generated 3980 kWh so far, and exported 70 kWh in total.

The only reason why the 70 kWh was exported is because we were away on a weekend break and the car wasn't at home to take surplus, with the house using nothing.

Reactions: Dilly
I'm not so sure. In July we exported 6kWh of the 840kWh we generated, and that 6 would have been less if I had been more careful. My batteries are really to avoid peak power costs, and we bought just 1kWh in July at peak rate and over 700 at the 5p offpeak rate. I'm tight.
Mate, you are my hero. I've just bought and installed another 3x 2.6kW batteries as my current set up of only 2 batteries meant they were permanently full and I have been exporting like mad (20% in July:eek:, that's worth a whole £3.63 to me at the current crap payback rates from Bulb)

I can't use it fast enough to keep the export down to a minimum, even though we have 2 washing machines and 2 dishwashers working permanently, doing perpetual cycles😁

We both work in the day and although soon to have 2 EV's being out in the day isn't helpful to use the excess sun when it makes an appearance.

Hopefully with the 5 battery system I can manage it better in the summer as I would like it to float around the 90-100% full mark to stop peak evening usage and run through the night without a cheap rate top up until the cycle repeats in the morning.

Still quite new at this game, had the system installed a year ago just before the world fell apart and prices went skywards. Octopus even extended my Go tariff at 13.7p peak rate until Jan 23... fools!!

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has got their solar panels via a local authority scheme?

In Bedford we registered with Solar Together and had a quote back a few weeks ago based on 12 panels it would be £8,766 that includes £500 for additional scaffolding (we're east/west facing) and £600 for shading optimisation (which I'm not sure we need this as the chimney is only short and unlikely to cast much of a shadow).

That's with no battery, they can add a 4kw/h battery for an additional £3,464 (which I think is too small) or £5,341 for an 8kw/h battery which is probably closer, or £6,089 for a 10kw/h version.

To proceed they'll charge £150 to do a proper survey and confirm your requirements and quote and you can then go from there. If you decide after that not to continue then they'll keep the £150.

I'm thinking of contacting Eon as well to get an alternative quote as the 0% instalments would be beneficial.

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has got their solar panels via a local authority scheme?

In Bedford we registered with Solar Together and had a quote back a few weeks ago based on 12 panels it would be £8,766 that includes £500 for additional scaffolding (we're east/west facing) and £600 for shading optimisation (which I'm not sure we need this as the chimney is only short and unlikely to cast much of a shadow).

That's with no battery, they can add a 4kw/h battery for an additional £3,464 (which I think is too small) or £5,341 for an 8kw/h battery which is probably closer, or £6,089 for a 10kw/h version.

To proceed they'll charge £150 to do a proper survey and confirm your requirements and quote and you can then go from there. If you decide after that not to continue then they'll keep the £150.

I'm thinking of contacting Eon as well to get an alternative quote as the 0% instalments would be beneficial.
Sounds like the same kind of deal my uncle was offered in the Wisbech area. Same company, Council backed scheme. Similar sort of prices. He’s happy with the install.

Hi,

I'd certainly get some alternative quotes as those prices are far too high. Prices have increased because of supply and demand but these schemes generally seem to be inflated.

If it helps as a comparison, my most recent quote for 13 x REC 410Wp and a Solis 5kW Inverter, all the scaffolding etc, was £11,622.

This dropped to £10,134 if I went with 13 x JA Solar 385Wp panels, same Inverter.

Prices on the up, up, up, then...

Last year in April 2021 ... I paid £10,500 for 18 x Sunpower Maxeon 3 (400w) panels with Optimizers and a 5 kW Solaredge Inverter, scaffolding & installation.

At the time, that was considered expensive..

Prices on the up, up, up, then...

Last year in April 2021 ... I paid £10,500 for 18 x Sunpower Maxeon 3 (400w) panels with Optimizers and a 5 kW Solaredge Inverter, scaffolding & installation.

At the time, that was considered expensive..
Yeah, I paid about £10500 for 26 405W LG bifacial panels, optimisers and a 8kW SolarEdge inverter.
I guess supply and demand…

If it helps as a comparison, my most recent quote for 13 x REC 410Wp and a Solis 5kW Inverter, all the scaffolding etc, was £11,622.

This dropped to £10,134 if I went with 13 x JA Solar 385Wp panels, same Inverter.
Ouch.

Just paid £6678 for 16x 365 panels, solaredge inverters all round, and a 3.68kw inverter, all inc, with two roof scaffolding.

Interesting thread.
Just started down the solar/battery path in earnest. Realised with current prices we could break even before death. In fact before retirement.

Crazy electricity consumption at home that does not seem to have reduced with 1 child having left. Not expecting a great reduction with 2 leaving in September.

Seems an 11kW array would fit us.

Interesting that Powerwalls have a ~12 month lead time.