Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thread.
Just started down the solar/battery path in earnest. Realised with current prices we could break even before death. In fact before retirement.

Crazy electricity consumption at home that does not seem to have reduced with 1 child having left. Not expecting a great reduction with 2 leaving in September.

Seems an 11kW array would fit us.

Interesting that Powerwalls have a ~12 month lead time.

how much is your estimated yearly usage? 11kw array seems very big - thats a megawatt in a year. Although generally the more the merrier, a 5kw array + 10-15kwh battery would likely be better for utilisation of solar than solar only

Ouch.

Just paid £6678 for 16x 365 panels, solaredge inverters all round, and a 3.68kw inverter, all inc, with two roof scaffolding.
I've gone for 14 Trina 390 panels, 9.5kWh Givenergy battery, 3kW inverter, Eddi solar divert - total of £12,250 including ALL required to fit, DNO, scaffold, etc. Ordered on 15 July and have a 6-8 week lead time. North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire area.

how much is your estimated yearly usage? 11kw array seems very big - thats a megawatt in a year. Although generally the more the merrier, a 5kw array + 10-15kwh battery would likely be better for utilisation of solar than solar only
11KW array should give closer to 6MWh a year. That’s what mine do. My 7KW array is permanently running but 3.9kW shuts down to avoid it exporting.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Seems reasonable. How much for an extra 9.5kWh battery? Might be worth it...

if not powering heating, a 9.5 should be enough in most cases other than winter, and its not clear that difference would justify another battery (although I’m also tempted I think I’ll just make sure the install is done and located somewhere I can put a second battery if needed in a year or two (eg when I add heating). I’d guess about 5k for another battery?

if not powering heating, a 9.5 should be enough in most cases other than winter, and its not clear that difference would justify another battery (although I’m also tempted I think I’ll just make sure the install is done and located somewhere I can put a second battery if needed in a year or two (eg when I add heating). I’d guess about 5k for another battery?
Hence I said "might", as everyone's consumption and usage pattern is different.

Giveenergy 9.5kwh are around £3,200 wholesale. Interested to see how much installers are pricing them at installed.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Powervault, who are one of the few people even quoting right now, are talking about 8k and installation in mid 2023, with £750 installation fee.. Can't even get givenergy to give me a ballpark estimate of time or cost..

If £3200 is anything like the wholesale cost there's a huge markup right now.

Hence I said "might", as everyone's consumption and usage pattern is different.

Giveenergy 9.5kwh are around £3,200 wholesale. Interested to see how much installers are pricing them at installed.

is that inc vat? They’re supposed to be ‘almost’ DIY but recommend an electrician so if you have a location in theory should be max a couple hundred to install? Unless that also needs calibration/software updates.

Curious to hear who else has done it. But also - I might ask Eon as if thats ’just’ £3.5k extra might bite the bullet

There is now a possibility of power cuts in January. I know the Express can be less than truthful, but Powerwall users must be pleased that they should be well prepared.

I read the same news from another source and this headline is (surprise, surprise!) being excessively alarmist.

My understanding was that the government is preparing for a worst case scenario and IF it’s unusually cold and IF there is no gas and IF there is an issue with the DC interconnects to the mainland THEN MAYBE there will be the need to shed some load over four days in January, which MIGHT include domestic supplies.

I mean, bloody hell this hardly sounds like the end of the world and it’s perfectly reasonable to make contingency plans. In fact, it would be negligent of them not to (although since when does BoJo care about being negligent or not?)
Whilst the media do play a crucial role in ensuring political accountability (or at least they did), they do seem to be acting in increasingly more despicable ways. Bloody boils my piss.

That said….. my Powerwalls are at the ready.

Last edited:
Just finished building ground based install for 10KW - 22 JA Solar 455W panels, effectively 13m x 3m x 3m high sloping roof shed!

Have 8Kw Solis inverter. Tesla Powerwall with Gateway 2, 14 Kw EcoDan ASHP and 8 rads with Honeywell wireless TRVs under RHI scheme

Tesla Model S

House is 1850 Welsh cottage in the middle of nowhere, not looking to go off grid but would like to be as self sufficient as possible

Starting to think another powerwall may be needed👍

Just finished building ground based install for 10KW - 22 JA Solar 455W panels, effectively 13m x 3m x 3m high sloping roof shed!

Have 8Kw Solis inverter. Tesla Powerwall with Gateway 2, 14 Kw EcoDan ASHP and 8 rads with Honeywell wireless TRVs under RHI scheme

Tesla Model S

House is 1850 Welsh cottage in the middle of nowhere, not looking to go off grid but would like to be as self sufficient as possible

Starting to think another powerwall may be needed👍
oh yes! Two Powerwalls are a certainty. They get lonely on their own 😂

Reactions: RedMod3 and NikoV6
I got quite lucky in that the house I bought in Oct '21 has a 4kw solar array that was installed in 2013. They transferred to my ownership as part of the sale - so I benefit from some pretty good FIT scheme rates (currently get paid 19p per kw generated, with a 6p deemed export rate) - without having the initial outlay for installation costs. It's great to get the washing machine and dishwasher on when the sun is shining and not see any pull from the grid on the smart meter!

Even though it's only a 4kw setup, it's been a decent little bonus over these summer months. As such I'm looking at getting a Zappi charger, and would love a powerwall as well in future.