Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently put in an order for 18 400w Perlight Delta panels, GivEnergy 5kW Hybrid Inverter and a 9.5kWh battery.
Hopefully installed at some point in October, however our DNO (GTC) are quoting 90ish days to approve it all. Will just have to wait and see now I think.
Also looking to swap my Ohme Home Pro for the new GivEnergy charger and then the GE Hot water diverter when its released.
Just means I can manage everything using one app.

I have recently put in an order for 18 400w Perlight Delta panels, GivEnergy 5kW Hybrid Inverter and a 9.5kWh battery.
Hopefully installed at some point in October, however our DNO (GTC) are quoting 90ish days to approve it all. Will just have to wait and see now I think.
Also looking to swap my Ohme Home Pro for the new GivEnergy charger and then the GE Hot water diverter when its released.
Just means I can manage everything using one app.
If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for that. I've had a quote for 15 400 watt panels and a 9.5 kwh battery at 17k which feels expensive

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for that. I've had a quote for 15 400 watt panels and a 9.5 kwh battery at 17k which feels expensive
The price is zero vat for installations, Based on a few prices to buy the items direct I would expect them to be paying around 9k ex vat.

At a guess that’s a nice 8k for installation, sounds like they don’t want to do the job or make it worth while.

The price is zero vat for installations, Based on a few prices to buy the items direct I would expect them to be paying around 9k ex vat.

At a guess that’s a nice 8k for installation, sounds like they don’t want to do the job or make it worth while.
Most work on the house I work on 50/50 bom/labor split. Prob about £1k for scaffolding btw, but yes, perhapse a little high.

Good news re the pure drive battery, just had the latest firmware installed and this has shown up:
Screenshot_2022-09-09-11-53-52-72_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Looks like the automation options I was looking for!

Reactions: init6
Solar diverters like an Eddi - having had my solar panels for a couple of weeks, unless I'm missing something I can't see how these make any sense to be honest. Yes I know they can be convenient but given I can heat the HW on Go for 8p per unit, and get 5p per unit for export, a diverter would be paying itself off at 3p per unit. So a Solic200 at £200 would take 6666 units to pay off, and an Eddi at £500 would take 16666 units. Correct?

Solar diverters like an Eddi - having had my solar panels for a couple of weeks, unless I'm missing something I can't see how these make any sense to be honest. Yes I know they can be convenient but given I can heat the HW on Go for 8p per unit, and get 5p per unit for export, a diverter would be paying itself off at 3p per unit. So a Solic200 at £200 would take 6666 units to pay off, and an Eddi at £500 would take 16666 units. Correct?
How many units are you using per day to heat hot water? I know from my bill that my gas boiler is using roughly 7 KWH per day to heat our hot water, so multiplying that out the payback for 6666 units would be 2.5 years. Over 10 years I would have made 300% profit.

Reactions: 73henny
How many units are you using per day to heat hot water? I know from my bill that my gas boiler is using roughly 7 KWH per day to heat our hot water, so multiplying that out the payback for 6666 units would be 2.5 years. Over 10 years I would have made 300% profit.
My immersion uses 6kWh/night to heat our hot water. I have a SOLIC 2000, it works well but drains the Powerwall (with the 10% loss) if the excess solar during the day is less than 3kW.

Must admit my Solic 2000 has been in since 2013 when I was on Economy 7; it has paid for itself.

Reactions: 73henny
As much as I'd like it to make sense, I don't think your payback pans out. There has to be excess solar avaliable, which there won't be either every day, and especially over the winter? I guess it might work out if the Eddie was your primary sink for excess solar rather than dropping it in a battery? And if your HW is primarily direct electric, then many your calcs are right?

For the another reference point, we are using about 4.5kwh of electricity a day on HW, but with the HP that will create about 15kwh of heat.

Sorry just seen this, approx 11.6k. Then £600 to swap my Ohme Home Pro to the Give Energy one, also moving it for me.
Thank you
Not sure how long their installation take but I think £7k for labor is rather odd and a sign of something being wrong
East West array so 2 lots of scaffolding. Coming in at 1700 just for scaffolding

900 labour charge listed on the quote. I think I'm being overcharged for parts. Looking at the figures, I might bring the system down from 6kwp on both the front and back of the house to a 4kwp system on just the back. I need to talk to them to get a definate cost, but I think it would be in the region of 11k for that system. Would then need to draw on the grid, but I'd be hopeful I could do this on the cheap rate filling the battery, then drawing from the battery during the day

Thank you

East West array so 2 lots of scaffolding. Coming in at 1700 just for scaffolding

900 labour charge listed on the quote. I think I'm being overcharged for parts. Looking at the figures, I might bring the system down from 6kwp on both the front and back of the house to a 4kwp system on just the back. I need to talk to them to get a definate cost, but I think it would be in the region of 11k for that system. Would then need to draw on the grid, but I'd be hopeful I could do this on the cheap rate filling the battery, then drawing from the battery during the day
If you are unsure, then second quote? If you can't get a second quote then they just have you over a barrell and you have to choose to suck it up or not.

Definitely try to do it once, do it right tho. It'll be worse if you come back in 2 years for the second aspect. Unless that fits better with finances etc, but we do know we are stuck with high prices for the next couple of years at least. Now is (hopefully) where it's easier to get an ROI on solar.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I think we're about 6 kWh per night for HW. But the payback is the difference between Go & export so 3p/kWh. 6666 units would take 1111 days, so 3 years. But that assumes there is 6 kWh spare each and every day which of course there won't be. The reality is a Solic200 might take more than 7 years to pay off. At the cost of an Eddi, it'd be over a decade.

Everything doesn't have to be about financial payback.
My iBoost has used nearly 600kWh since I installed it in March this year. That's 600kWh of gas that I haven't consumed and a pile of CO2 that I haven't chucked into the atmosphere.