Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar power math for a custom camper shell on the tri-motor.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we assume a big 200kwh battery on the tri-motor, how many solar panels would we have to put on the camper shell to cover a daily 40 mile commute?

My math is at 15 of the 250w panels based on a 3.8Kw/day need. Is this right?

It'd be hard to get more than the 15 mi/day max than the cover has, it will be most likely have a flatter top which won't collect light as efficiently. But it should have a greater area. I wonder if you there would be a feature that if you parked the truck in an empty paved lot it could be smart enough to turn itself occasionally through the day to maximize solar input.

i think the truck is going to consume around 45Kw/hr per 100 miles. (Model x uses 36kw/h per 100 miles). So for 40miles you would need 18kw/hr of charge. So if you have daylight for 7 hours a day (conservative) you need to generate 2.5kw of power per hour.

i’m horrible at the maths though.

Practically speaking the power generated by solar panels on a camper shell would be next to useless as far as charging the battery. I was sad to see tesla stoop to the marketing gimmick that is solar panels on a vehicle.
I disagree. There is enough room on the cover for about 600 watts of solar. Out west that is a nice 3kWh of power which would keep my camper charged and running. Most national parks have now hookups so every bit helps.

i think the truck is going to consume around 45Kw/hr per 100 miles. (Model x uses 36kw/h per 100 miles). So for 40miles you would need 18kw/hr of charge. So if you have daylight for 7 hours a day (conservative) you need to generate 2.5kw of power per hour.

i’m horrible at the maths though.

Thank you! I was using 5 hours of daylight. This seems more doable.

I've been planning the exact same thing - a large as possible boxy truck camper on the back, with no windows and covered on the top and all sides with strong solar panels (the sort that are strong enough to walk on) for protection from getting brushed by tree branches occasionally and such. Solar panels on walls rather than rooves generate less power overall and much less in the summer but they actually generate more energy that flat roof panels in the winter months. An alternative is to have a rectangular roof of solar panels and then two same sized areas of panels that slide out to the left and right of the vehicle when in an area where it is ok to, thereby tripling the roof collection area. Obviously the camper will need it's own battery to power it when it's separated and standing on it's own legs, perhaps a powerwall.

Very rough initial sketch of what I'm thinking for my truck camper.

Attachments

• 02_Desktop.jpg
    02_Desktop.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 85
Virtually all truck campers sold today would not fit in the Cybertruck. They would be blocked by the sailplanes. The sides of truck campers go over the sides of the top of pickup beds. You would have to go the custom route, which increases costs 2-3 times.

Also, a truck camper wouldn't have enough room for enough solar that would make it workable. Add on all the air resistance from the truck camper in addition to all the extra rolling resistance, and you would need to plug in frequently.

I've been thinking about putting 2,700 watts of solar on my travel trailer roof with the help of extended solar awnings. It would take around 10 DAYS to fully charge the truck, and that's with no usage for the camper!