Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar powered Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not currently, but planning to do so. I don't charge the car at home at the moment, although I've had the Tesla HPWC longer than I've owned my car. It's still in the box awaiting the time (and incentive) that it gets hung on my garage wall.

Installed a 3.2kW array about 11 years ago, way before I thought of getting an EV. Two years ago the company (Enphase) offered their "legacy" owners a couple of upgrade paths. The one that interested me was replacing my existing panels with new one which have built-in microinverters. The technology of PV has improved such that if I replace the 20 panels I have with 15 they are offering (about equivalent weight and area), my power output goes up to 5.1kW.

Of course I'm not going to be directly powering my car with solar. The power generated by the array during the day will offset what I would be using to charge the car at night when my rates are the lowest. The main problem for me right now is that it's costing me $0.19/kWh to charge my car at a local ChargePoint station. That's less than my current off-peak rate from PG&Ê. I should probably change my E-6 TOU plan to one which has been designed for EVs. I think that rate schedule has a lowest cost of $0.14/kWh but I haven't run all the numbers....

Reactions: tstolze
Upvote 0
We have a 30 panel 7.65 kW system installed in 2012.
Until this year we produced over 90% of our electric annually, but have added 2 Model 3's this year, so our Summer bills have been about $30-$40/month. Normally our bills would be less than $9/month or we would earn a couple dollars/month credit in the Summer. This is in an all electric home, so at the end of the day we can't complain.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Upvote 0
I've had the Tesla HPWC longer than I've owned my car.
Installed a 3.2kW array about 11 years ago, way before I thought of getting an EV.
it's costing me $0.19/kWh to charge my car at a local ChargePoint station. That's less than my current off-peak rate from PG&Ê.
Wait. You've had a Tesla, a HPWC, and solar since 2018 and have been sitting at a slow ChargePoint station all these years? I sure hope it's a super convenient station in the rockstar parking spot of your office or favorite grocery store!

Upvote 0
Hah! First year of ownership I was getting free L2 charging at work. Then it was Supercharging once a week or less; no job & COVID meant no driving. Started using the CHAdeMO adapter at the ChargePoint near my house when it was cheaper than SC ($0.19 vs $0.21). Don't have really anywhere to go so I sit in the car and hit the forums. I'm sitting at an Electrify America station right now getting a free charge.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
I still have a few months left on my 1 year free supercharger perk from last year's year end promotion, so I've mainly been using superchargers while I still have it.

But when I have to charge at home, I do try to charge during the day to be powered by my solar roof directly whenever possible. I'm still charging with 120V so not really utilizing it in full though. Will probably get around to installing a 14-50 before the end of the year so I can charge at home more (use up all my capacity) as the free supercharging expires. I don't use enough electricity to go over my solar generation (I'm a net exporter) and I'm not on a TOU schedule, so I don't have the same considerations in terms of offsetting usage and my situation may not be applicable to you.

Upvote 0
Here in Maine, solar seems quite expensive, $2-$2.50/W, after-tax credits, which would mean a breakeven of 13yrs; so I applied for solar panels with Tesla, with a breakeven of 9yrs, but they don't yet have contractors in my area. Not to mention there seems to be a big backlog for Powerwalls, due to high demand.

Upvote 0