Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Powered Tesla Model 3?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve done over 500 solar inspections. In my view the overwhelming majority looked awful. The challenge, is to make solar look good.
When we were researching solar, I originally hated the fact that the panels would have to be on the front of our house. But now I wear it like a badge of honor because it shows I'm both financially and environmentally responsible. Plus I think the big thing that makes solar installs ugly are exposed conduits and junction boxes -- for my install they are completely hidden, none are visible.

Attachments

• solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0405 3.jpg
    IMG_0405 3.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: RFernatt
When we were researching solar, I originally hated the fact that the panels would have to be on the front of our house. But now I wear it like a badge of honor because it shows I'm both financially and environmentally responsible. Plus I think the big thing that makes solar installs ugly are exposed conduits and junction boxes -- for my install they are completely hidden, none are visible.

When I first got mine installed, they asked me if I only wanted the panels on the sides of the house so they wouldn't be visual from the street.

I wanted everyone to know I have solar so wanted them to be on the front side. Unfortunately, my house is very tall with a low sloping roof so it is still hard to see from the street (but well visible on Google maps and the Tesla navigation).

Revisiting this topic, I did see where Toyota was testing a new solar system on the Prius plug in using more efficient/expensive solar cells covering the hood, roof, rear window and trunk surfaces. It produced a respectable amount of power in good conditions. While it may not be cost effective and practical at the moment, it may be worthwhile at some point in the future.

Thinking through theoreticals, the engineering and materials, and therefore cost, to have a long lasting solution that works on a car is going to be challenging. Think about a solar installation that has to handle everything a roof mount system takes (wind, hail, temp extremes, ice/snow) and now add car washes, vibration and shocks from driving on all kinds of roads, road salt in the winter, impacts from insects/debris, scrubbing with cleaners/waxes, and all of that happening for years to the car mounted solar system. You'll have to keep the car clean to not hinder production and that will subject the panels to cleaners and scrubbing that roof panels wouldn't see.

It will take a lot of testing to make sure that it can work and reliably generate meaningful power over the life of the car. If it adds a lot of expense to the car, insurance expense for repairs that require specialized repair centers isn't going to be cheap either.

Again, not that it's impossible, but I wouldn't count on a viable and affordable solution any time soon.

Agreed. Inside of garage is a Tesla Powerwall and wall charger—on weekends I often leave my garage door open—as a badge of honor. I am also an unapologetic true believer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rothgarr
Agreed. Inside of garage is a Tesla Powerwall and wall charger—on weekends I often leave my garage door open—as a badge of honor. I am also an unapologetic true believer.
Nice!

No battery storage for us, though. At the time, we would have needed two Powerwall units and the price including installation was hard to swallow. We also didn't go with Tesla solar since they were way more expensive and wouldn't cover 100% of our needs since their panels were much less efficient (at the time, theirs were either 260 or 280w while the ones we wound up with are 360w).

SunPower X22-360 Panels with micro inverters. I considered the Powerwalls but they were an expense I could not justify (especially considering with net metering the only benefit would be for blackouts and we have had less than one per year since I moved to my house).
Nice. I wound up with the LG ones. Ditto with the Powerwalls. Net metering is ending by us in CT at the end of this year, but if you have solar installed on your home you get grandfathered in for 20 years so at least we've got that.

Revisiting this topic, I did see where Toyota was testing a new solar system on the Prius plug in using more efficient/expensive solar cells covering the hood, roof, rear window and trunk surfaces. It produced a respectable amount of power in good conditions. While it may not be cost effective and practical at the moment, it may be worthwhile at some point in the future.

Thinking through theoreticals, the engineering and materials, and therefore cost, to have a long lasting solution that works on a car is going to be challenging. Think about a solar installation that has to handle everything a roof mount system takes (wind, hail, temp extremes, ice/snow) and now add car washes, vibration and shocks from driving on all kinds of roads, road salt in the winter, impacts from insects/debris, scrubbing with cleaners/waxes, and all of that happening for years to the car mounted solar system. You'll have to keep the car clean to not hinder production and that will subject the panels to cleaners and scrubbing that roof panels wouldn't see.

It will take a lot of testing to make sure that it can work and reliably generate meaningful power over the life of the car. If it adds a lot of expense to the car, insurance expense for repairs that require specialized repair centers isn't going to be cheap either.

Again, not that it's impossible, but I wouldn't count on a viable and affordable solution any time soon.

Tesla's Musk says solar panels on cars make little sense, but that's not stopping Toyota, Hyundai

Again, I wish they had a few on the 3 just for situations where you had to leave the car w/o pluging in like airports

Instead of integrating the panels into the car itself, which would require design and engineering for all the factors I mentioned above, I wonder if it might be more efficient to use a small scale version of this tech so that it could be stowed when not useful, but deployable when handy (like long term parking)? It could potentially be retrofitted to existing EVs also.

Roll-up solar panels could fundamentally alter how we power the world

Reactions: vickh