Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Powers My Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We power both our S and Roadster Sport from a big battery bank when the sun isn't shining.
Also go back to grid-tie when the SOC is around 96% so the extra sun does not get wasted.
A lifetime dream, the first time the S was 100% solar charged (June 2015). Amazing feeling, at least for me. My partner, well, she could care less :tongue:

Because of the 24kW residential limit in NY, we put 6) 8kW trackers servicing our barn (non-residential service) and shifted a bunch of loads over.
Now we sell more back than we use, another great feeling!
Bob

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
They're allowing the utilities to change the landscape back in their favor. The utilities say solar producers aren't paying their fair share for the grid. Less users to make a profit from means more of the burden goes to non-solar users. So to make up for profit loss, they charge you. I can understand some of the argument but only to an extent. I can most definitely understand paying a grid fee and meter fee but an additional penalty?

There are a couple of other threads that discuss this, but the bottom line is that in a lot of territories, the "grid fee" and "meter fee" and such don't cover the true cost of your connection to the grid (the fixed costs). It is, in effect, a subsidization of the smallest consumers by the largest, because some of the fixed costs are built into the usage rate (variable costs). If the average usage goes down because of consumer generation, then they end up with a fixed-cost shortfall. They're petitioning the PUC's to fix that, but it will be tough - those who get subsidized service aren't exactly going to let it go easily.

It used to be that way in my co-op as well, but over the past 5 years or so they've done a lot of analysis and have been correcting that. The meter fee has risen from $17ish per month to $45/month while arresting rate growth (or in some years, reducing the rates). In November, the co-op board of trustees reduced our rate from 9 cents per kWh to 6.8. We're now in a position where a member can install a meter at $45/month and even with zero usage, the fixed costs are still covered.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I put in a fairly large, 18KW (raw DC) system, designed to offset my household energy usage plus two EV's.

I'm on PG&E's EV-A time-of-use plan, but it doesn't matter. I'm a net positive supplier so they pay me a puny $0.04 per kwh at the end of the year's true-up period without regard to TOU. Oh well... but the payback looks fine.
Overall, I generated 32 MWH over the past year.

PG&E's rant that we Solar folks aren't paying our fair share for use of the grid is outrageously fraudulent! I deliver to them during the daytime peak hours, when they're begging for it - and in so doing REDUCE the loading on the power lines in my area. I consume a smaller amount at night, exactly what they're asking for. What I am is an UBER-EFFECIENT ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM for them! They are mandated to invest heavily in energy storage, such as reservoirs with turbines and other more contemporary solutions - and they whine that I'm... what? over-using their power grid? Ridiculous.

I run on solar and hope you counted your vote on the poll at Driving on Sunshine - Page 24

In a similar vein by chance are you willing to share your story? I am contemplating a book "Driving to Net 0" on how 6-10 households have reduced their fossil fuel use by 75% or are 75% below the average household in their country. Each household would write their own "chapter" as a way to encourage others to make significant changes. If scientists say we need to make an 80% cut in emissions let's show others how it can be done. :)

We power both our S and Roadster Sport from a big battery bank when the sun isn't shining.
Also go back to grid-tie when the SOC is around 96% so the extra sun does not get wasted.
A lifetime dream, the first time the S was 100% solar charged (June 2015). Amazing feeling, at least for me. My partner, well, she could care less :tongue:

Because of the 24kW residential limit in NY, we put 6) 8kW trackers servicing our barn (non-residential service) and shifted a bunch of loads over.
Bob
would you or anyone else consider doing a YouTube overview of your system. YouTube videos on Tesla integration with solar panels is lacking

Yesterday I climbed a 30ft ladder to trim 2 Italian Cypress trees that were shading my panels.
It was dangerous but I wanted max juice!!

Per my app view looking at each panels production I could see 6 panels working fine but not producing as much power as the rest.

This pinpointed the problem, I was getting shade on the panels as the sun moved from 12 to 4pm.

Executive decision was made and I cut the tops off the trees then rounded them out.

Didn't want some dam trees messing with my ROI!

Solar Powers my Model S. I do not use Michigan's EV charging plan because I charge for free at work, although it would be a good deal if i did.
IMG_0106.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 11.50.55 PM.png

6.54 kW of SunPower e20 327wt * 20 panels (rated to lose only .5% a year) and they are worth the extra cost. The city has a $25 for 6 month unlimited charging plan that they bill to your electric bill, so I charge at home and a vast majority of the time around town off the solar production. I didn't think to try for a larger inverter to add panels if I needed them. The City credits me for 10.5 cents a kw produced. The credit is good for as long as I have the account, doesn't transfer or cash out.

Last edited:
I put in a fairly large, 18KW (raw DC) system, designed to offset my household energy usage plus two EV's.

I'm on PG&E's EV-A time-of-use plan, but it doesn't matter. I'm a net positive supplier so they pay me a puny $0.04 per kwh at the end of the year's true-up period without regard to TOU. Oh well... but the payback looks fine.
Overall, I generated 32 MWH over the past year.

PG&E's rant that we Solar folks aren't paying our fair share for use of the grid is outrageously fraudulent! I deliver to them during the daytime peak hours, when they're begging for it - and in so doing REDUCE the loading on the power lines in my area. I consume a smaller amount at night, exactly what they're asking for. What I am is an UBER-EFFECIENT ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM for them! They are mandated to invest heavily in energy storage, such as reservoirs with turbines and other more contemporary solutions - and they whine that I'm... what? over-using their power grid? Ridiculous.
I live not far from you in Moraga. We're installing a 14.1 kW system next month. Two EVs as well with an S85 and RAV4. I don't think we'll cover all our usage but I'll be eager to monitor it this summer.

View attachment 107438

6.54 kW of SunPower e20 327wt * 20 panels (rated to lose only .5% a year) and they are worth the extra cost. The city has a $25 for 6 month unlimited charging plan that they bill to your electric bill, so I charge at home and a vast majority of the time around town off the solar production. I didn't think to try for a larger inverter to add panels if I needed them. The City credits me for 10.5 cents a kw produced. The credit is good for as long as I have the account, doesn't transfer or cash out.

Dam 10.5 cents for extra, that's good!!

Bob

my new house in central NY is being drywalled right now, scheduled to be completed end of march. I have been doing a little research on Solar as I plan on having this done by end of year. I was not aware of a 24kW residental limit in NY. why is that so?

also to those with experience, my builder used a engineered roof web truss system built using 2x4's spaced 24" on center. I have a huge south facing roof, 6/12 pitch. something like 70'x 20'. Will a roof system like this support a massive solar array system?

I'm sure everyone on this forum has seen my setup by now, but figure I'd just chime in since it's a thread about solar! :D

full-shot-1.jpg

ground-shot-1.jpg

ground-shot-2.jpg

44.4 kW Off-Grid PV, ~180 kW in battery storage (from salvage Teslas), 64 kW DC->AC inverters, two Tesla Model S, all electric household (HVAC, cooking, laundry, etc).

I haven't done a good shot of the Model S's and the array in the same shot yet... I'll do that when it gets warm. :)

More info in links in my signature.