Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar / Powerwall Desktop Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen anything link this posted so thought I'd share. I have been interested in buying/building a desktop display that shows the basic solar/home/powerwall/grid stats so that anybody in the home can see what's going on without the need for the Tesla app. I also wanted to use an eink display so that I didn't have another backlit screen shining in my house. I came across this project and decided to give it a try:

I've done programming before but have never used python nor have dealt with interfacing with APIs, so I wanted to start with something that someone already has shown to work and go from there. I already had a raspberry pi 4 in the drawer so only had to order the display. It took a little while to get it working but I like how the display looks.

I made some modifications/additions, namely to pull data from my weather station and display the outside/inside temperatures. It could probably still use some tweeks to the alignment of the text with the icons. I still need to find/build an enclosure for it to make it look pretty. The original programmer made a fancy laser cut enclosure to look like a powerwall (see link above), but I'm not going to be that ambitious.

The only downside right now is that the multi-color eink display takes about 30 s to update and does a lot of flashing colors when it's updating. I have it updating every 5 minutes. If raspberry pi's ever come back in stock at a reasonable price I would probably consider buying a pi zero and a smaller single color eink display to make something a little more compact and low power with closer to real time updates.
PXL_20221001_223336584.jpg

Well after just about 5 months I came home from vacation to find the display dead. Since the color 5.65" display was pricey (~$70) and took a long time to refresh I decided to replace it with a cheaper (~$30) 4.2" black and white (+ a few shades of grey) display. I 3D printed a frame and stand as well.

Not as pretty as the color display but functional. It still needs some tweaks to the layout of the display and the frame. I would like to use icons instead of text like the color display had but I have to figure out how to generate a bit map in the appropriate format. The new display only takes 3-4s to update so I have it refresh every 2 min now.

The display has helped me at least once when I walked by during the evening and noticed my house pulling almost 10 kW during peak. Somehow my car had started charging probably from me fat thumbing in the app.

PXL_20230327_002023350.jpg

I have an old Samsung tablet that I wasn't using connected to my gateeway that shows the same.

Certainly there is easier ways to get and display this data. I used an old phone before but I like the readability of the e-ink displays, the lack of another backlit display shining in my house especially at night, and the ability to customize how exactly the information is presented. But that's just my personal preference. It's also a fun project.

Just posting in case any one else wanted to do something similar.