Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar production getting worse in Bay Area, California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, this is the toughest season for Solar + Powerwall unless you're h2ofun with a monstrously oversized solar array.

The rain and high winds present what is supposed to be the worst impact to grid reliability. For example, the 0.25 inches of rain we saw on Sunday knocked out power to like 30,000 homes. 3 people at my work alone had no power for most of yesterday. Can you imagine any other grid in the USA that becomes unstable with 0.25 inches of rain?

So if you have Powerwalls with the intention of having some backup during an outage, you will want to set your reserve to a rather high level.

That is why the ideal situation is to be able to top off your Powerwalls a bit with grid energy from like 3am to 6am. Maybe not to 100%, but just enough so that the next day's muted solar production can fill up the remainder. This way you make sure you never tap into shoulder or peak rates. I really wish Tesla would allow this functionality when the weather has expected rain/clouds in the forecast.
So are you leaving your powerwall setting as they are for the winter and just run off the grid when the Powerwalls get down to your reserve or do you change your settings and if so what setting do you use.

So are you leaving your powerwall setting as they are for the winter and just run off the grid when the Powerwalls get down to your reserve or do you change your settings and if so what setting do you use.

I've been using a 20% reserve during the crazy hot months. And it actually got me through the 8 hours from 3pm to midnight with the Powerwalls running the house entirely (to bank those juicy EV2-A credits) during that time. I was less concerned about backup during the summer since I just need to get to sun-up and I was fairly confident in getting solar to charge the batteries.

But now that it's the wintertime and the grid seems even less reliable, I bumped it up to 40% reserve. This way if I lose power and the next day is cloudcover, I could reasonably still get 24 hours of backup. But now I think I can't get the Powerwalls charged up to 100% since there isn't enough sun... and I may not be able to get to midnight with 40% reserve even with no AC's running.

Speaking of which, I need to turn off the breakers to my ACs to save money on those crankcase heaters.

I use self powered mode. I only keep mentioning it, because when talking about things like reserve settings and such, what mode you are in also matters in what the system does. Anyway, as we go into fall / winter I actually raise my reserve some, because several things contribute to less solar being available.

For me, my daily goal is to ensure that, if at ALL possible, there is a point during the day that my powerwalls get to 100%. Since self powered mode powers both the home and fills the powerwalls (instead of prioritizing filling the powerwalls and running off the home in off peak), I have to change my reserve to a higher number if I expect rain, or something else that will mean low production.

Right now, on a clear day, my system generates about 36kWh or so of power. Yesterday, however, it generated 15kW. Because I knew it was going to be overcast / cloudy / rainy, I moved my reserve from what I currently keep it at (which is 30%) to 100% to get as much PV in my powerwalls as possible (for backup purposes) and then, when I went to bed , lowered it back to 30% so I would run off that power during the night, because I expect it to be clear today.

I micromanage my reserve depending on weather, myself (not in an automated way).

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
PG&E is shutting down 10% of its production by closing Diablo. What is going to replace that?
PG&E doesn't own most of the state's production. I'm sure Diablo is much more than 10% of what PG&E actually owns. Wikipedia says that Diablo Canyon represents 8.6% of the state's generation. I assume that is calculated from GWh/year not GW nameplates.

In any case, Diablo Canyon is supposed to be replaced by GHG-free power generation. That was part of the shutdown agreement.

PG&E doesn't own most of the state's production. I'm sure Diablo is much more than 10% of what PG&E actually owns. Wikipedia says that Diablo Canyon represents 8.6% of the state's generation. I assume that is calculated from GWh/year not GW nameplates.

In any case, Diablo Canyon is supposed to be replaced by GHG-free power generation. That was part of the shutdown agreement.

I think it's CHG-free power "generated in California". I think the agreement lets them buy imports from neighboring states that could be supplied by their own natural gas peaker plants or even coal.

I think we discussed this in another thread. A news reporter asked PG&E how they planned to backfill the lost megawatts from Diablo. But PG&E's on chief strategist said it was not of importance on how they planned to backfill the megawatts. It seems PG&E had a plan to offset a steady-flow of nuclear energy with "something else" but wouldn't share what that was.

Reactions: h2ofun

how does that work? Nuclear is constant. Rain or shine wind or not drought or not. The only way Diablo is replaced is with Fossil (standby or other)
Have to have a huge battery storage to get by with Solar and Wind as replacement. Don't see that happenning in the near future

Reactions: h2ofun
20.7 here so far with PowerWalls at 60%. It’s been overcast all day. Hope we get more rain as we really need it.

I will probably adjust my reserve Thursday morning, but power use is down besides charging the car since I don’t need the AC. Might be able to chug along with the 25% reserve as long as I generate enough to cover the house during the day.

Last edited: