Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar PV - Bird Protection Yes/No?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does look nice, but I would have some serious concerns.

Their interlocking system is waterproof, but only guaranteed for 10 years.

So what happens if a solar panels fails... and is no longer available for replacement. The whole system is designed for exact measurements. So it's almost proprietary. If the dead panel can't be easily replaced, do you just leave it as a dead duck?

Secondly, having roof tiles, with a rack system, allows your Solar Panels to act like a Thermal Barrier. Stopping the Sun's direct heat onto the tiles underneath, with an air gap between for cooling.

If those Panels ARE the roof... the loft space is not now protected from Solar heat.

It looks nice... though
Because something carries a 10 year warranty it doesn't mean that it will fail at 10 years +1 day....

Because something carries a 10 year warranty it doesn't mean that it will fail at 10 years +1 day....

Yes I understand that... but in 10 years time technology will have probably moved on.

With a traditional Solar Rack system you can easily change out the panels to something more efficient and suitable.

If it's completely integrated to your roof by exact measurements then I can't see how many options you'd have...

But at the end of the day... do what suits your plan... it's your plan, not mine 😀

Sorry, another solar one but I know quite a few folk on here have PV etc and I will get some sensible answers.

I have a fairly large E/W dual array being installed in October and the issue of bird protection has just cropped up. I'd pretty much dismissed it but there's a guy down the road from us having issues with nesting pigeons beneath his panels. You can actually hear and see the activity as you walk past. On closer inspection I can see around 50% of the installations around us have bird protection and now I look more closely, lots of pigeons about!

It's not cheap but I guess better to do it during the install rather than later. What is your experience with/without bird protection on your PV arrays please? I'm looking at a grand or so to add it I think, so not trivial.
I asked about that when my panels were about to be installed, they told me that my panels, actually being a bit higher off the roof than usual (because of the type of roof), wouldn't offer the shelter most birds are looking for, and so it doesn't offer protection from the wind they're looking for.

Yes I understand that... but in 10 years time technology will have probably moved on.

With a traditional Solar Rack system you can easily change out the panels to something more efficient and suitable.

If it's completely integrated to your roof by exact measurements then I can't see how many options you'd have...

But at the end of the day... do what suits your plan... it's your plan, not mine 😀
As far as I know, the GSE system that was used can fit a number of different modules in the same tray. Even if they didnt, then the real cost in replacement is getting access to the roof regardless of what fitting system is used.

For me, integrating the panels was a no brainer. It wasn't that much more expensive than having bird-proofing fitted and it looks a heck of a lot better than rails and raised panels.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Reactions: SK6 steve
we had a bunch of cowboys risk their life to put mesh around our 16 panel array after pigeons nested in two years running and drove us crazy at 4am in the summertime. Even woke the kids up and they'd sleep through armageddon breaking out usually. £450

I rang our solar installer and told them it should be a no-brainer ot upsell the mesh at install to make themselves a few quid and save customers like us the hassle of finding a supplier to retrofit the mesh. They said they'd consider it! Honestly, you can't give money away to some people...

My installer never offered it, a year later I now have pigeons hanging about up there and trying to nest. They’re very loud and sometimes I wake up at 6am hearing them walk over the roof and cooing.

Got someone to fit a mesh for £850 (9 panels, don’t need scaffolding), but wish I had it to begin with. I’m more worried about them biting threw cables, I’ve seen them picking up the cables trying to move them (thinking they’re sticks).

Nah, wood pigeons will just find a tree to nest in. They do however sit on top of our chimney and coo down it which is amusing. They also poo down it which is less nice.
no chimney

200w.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Skie
If you get a local handyman to do this, make sure they use the right kit. The guy who did mine just bent cheapo mesh under the rims of the panels - 2 years later, the pigeons had managed to rip a section out. Got the right stuff fitted now. What do they say? Buy cheap, buy twice. Beware.

Reactions: Cardo
Definitely get bird proofing during installation. We didn’t and had no issues for a couple of years, but then one pair of pigeons started trying to nest. I spent the season removing their attempts at building a nest. The next season a bunch of pairs turned up with the same idea, and one pair managed to build a nest where I couldn’t reach it. Fortunately, it was precarious and the wind/rain wiped it out. Cost us around £1k to fit bird proofing as we had to get scaffolding put up due to the nature of the roof.

And get decent bird proofing, not just some flimsy mesh, as they can sometimes break through, and then you have a real issue. There’s a house nearby where the mesh hasn’t held and it’s a full on pigeon hotel. The mesh has actually provided them more protection, making it even more appealing. We’ve got galvanised steel mesh, which even I’d struggle to get through!
Just get air rifle
Sorry, another solar one but I know quite a few folk on here have PV etc and I will get some sensible answers.

I have a fairly large E/W dual array being installed in October and the issue of bird protection has just cropped up. I'd pretty much dismissed it but there's a guy down the road from us having issues with nesting pigeons beneath his panels. You can actually hear and see the activity as you walk past. On closer inspection I can see around 50% of the installations around us have bird protection and now I look more closely, lots of pigeons about!

It's not cheap but I guess better to do it during the install rather than later. What is your experience with/without bird protection on your PV arrays please? I'm looking at a grand or so to add it I think, so not trivial.

As per my earlier post, I would always recommend having good bird proofing fitted during the install. The scaffolding will already be in place so you save some of the cost getting it done at the same time. We ended having to pay hundreds more to get it added later as we also had to pay for scaffolding. PV installs are big investments, don’t scrimp.