Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Referral Credit: Experience, Frustrations, & Specifics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience thus far is with 3 Tesla Energy referrals.

Things you may not know about Tesla Energy referral process:
  1. "Redeem your Tesla Credits or Check" e-mail s the first indication you will have that your referral was used.
    • You click the link in the e-mail and you choose the $750 credit or $400 check. Then crickets....
    • Make sure you click the link within a few days of receiving the email as it is only active for a few weeks.
      • The first time I received this e-mail I waited too long as I wasn't sure if I wanted the credit or the check. When I finally went to select the credit the link had expired. I had to call/e-mail Tesla, provide proof and details about the referral's name and location it took several weeks to get this resolved. Eventually the credit was applied. However, it took considerable effort on my part. I do want to point out that the Tesla representatives that I dealt with were very nice and appeared to be doing what they could. I want to say helpful, but honestly it felt more like they were middlemen. They stated that the long delays were due to the Solar-City to Tesla system transition and it was out of their hands. It took over 2 months to get this resolved. I found it very frustrating.
    • I typically receive the "Redeem your Tesla Credits or Check" e-mail sometime after the system has been installed. This makes since as you are only going to receive the referral if they buy the system. I only mention this as in my case multiple re-designs were made which pushed out the installation date.
  2. It takes 45+ days after system is activated (Not installed) before credit can be applied to your account.
    • Even though you get the ""Redeem your Tesla Credits or Check" e-mail, you will not have access to the credit until 45+ days after your referral's system is turned-on and generating.
  3. Tesla App - Loot Box shows nothing ( in my case anyway )
    • Out of three referrals my Loot Box shows no indication of activity
      • Out of the 3, only 1 shows up in the "REQUESTED" breakdown. "ORDERED", "INSTALLED", & "CANCELLED" all have zeros (0). Even though all 3 systems have been ordered and installed.
    • I have received one credit. The second credit should be coming soon as its been more than 45 days
  4. Your have to call Tesla to verify your credits are applied to your account.
    • Credits do not show up in the Tesla Solar account or Tesla Motors account.
    • Tesla confirmed that users currently have no way of tracking $ credits other than calling to verify balances.
I've opted for 2 - $750 credits, and 1 - $400 check.
So far I have only received 1 - $750 credit.

I am a big fan of Tesla and I continue to support the company. I absolutely love my model S. I will talk to anyone about my car, and the smile I have on my face when I do goes from ear-to-ear. I'm astounded by how much fun I have driving it and how much pride I have in ownership. It is a fantastic and beautiful machine. Although I don't have the same ear-to-ear grin when I talk about my solar, as the whole process from design to install had many frustrating aspects (not talking about the referral process here), I am quite happy with the end product.

My Tesla:
- Model S purchased September 2017.
- Tesla solar contract signed January 2018 (9.76 kW system).

Installed March 2, 2018.
Operational March 22, 2018
9.7 MWh generated as of today, September 15, 2018
I love putting sunshine in my tank!

• Informative
Reactions: 3laine
I've gotten two solar rebates. One after an install in Jan this year (which I used as a $750 credit to buy my Model 3 in April) and another one I got in August which I am still waiting on the $400 check (apparently you can't use the $750 credit to buy a Radio Flyer Model S for kids with it).

I have basically all the same issues you're talking about. Loot box has showed zero across the board for me. I've had minor success with emailing [email protected] but they are quite slow. Their referral process is really not integrated into their process and especially the solar ones because they are still handled by their SolarCity team. Took me two extra hours at my Model 3 delivery of them calling SolarCity side and confirming the credit and them rewriting my contract while I waited.

My experience has been the same, and worse.

I have $1500 from 2 solar referral credits that are effectively Schrodinger‘s cat. Apparently I have them, but they don’t show up in the loot box and I’m unable to use them for purchases through the website. However the orders do show my code was used.

I’ve tried emailing the various referral teams, and *if* I get a response, it doesn’t happen within 5 weeks. I’ve also tried calling and visiting the service center, and they give me conflicting information and tell me someone will follow-up, which they never do.

I’ve been at this since April, and nothing gets done.

Reactions: 3laine
Tesla App - Loot Box shows nothing ( in my case anyway )
    • Out of three referrals my Loot Box shows no indication of activity
      • Out of the 3, only 1 shows up in the "REQUESTED" breakdown. "ORDERED", "INSTALLED", & "CANCELLED" all have zeros (0). Even though all 3 systems have been ordered and installed.

Good to know I'm not the only one whose App doesn't update past "Requested" for referral orders.

I’ve tried emailing the various referral teams, and *if* I get a response, it doesn’t happen within 5 weeks. I’ve also tried calling and visiting the service center, and they give me conflicting information and tell me someone will follow-up, which they never do.

I guess I lucked out a little. When I visited my local SC earlier this summer, there was a "Tesla Energy" rep there that I talked with. He spent considerable time with me and was able to access my account and verify the status of the various credits. He continues to be responsive and willing to help. Without this tangible contact my frustration level would be much higher. I feel your pain.

I guess I lucked out a little. When I visited my local SC earlier this summer, there was a "Tesla Energy" rep there that I talked with. He spent considerable time with me and was able to access my account and verify the status of the various credits. He continues to be responsive and willing to help. Without this tangible contact my frustration level would be much higher. I feel your pain.
Can you pm me this person's contact? I'm in the same boat.

Finally received all my referral credits. Except I didn’t. I recieved an email stating all credits are applied to my account and are ready for use. However, when I called to use them, they said I needed to submit a W9 before they will release the credits.

Now I have them. now I don’t. Frustration continues to grow.....

I've gotten two solar rebates. One after an install in Jan this year (which I used as a $750 credit to buy my Model 3 in April).......

You were able to use the credit for a car? Very lucky. I'm being told right now that I cannot use the credit (which I have yet to receive) toward a car even though I was repeatedly told by my solar salesperson that I could. I'm in the middle of whining about it with customer service to see what they'll do for me.

Finally received all my referral credits. Except I didn’t. I recieved an email stating all credits are applied to my account and are ready for use. However, when I called to use them, they said I needed to submit a W9 before they will release the credits.

Now I have them. now I don’t. Frustration continues to grow.....
A W9?? Seriously? Facepalm.

I’m so over Tesla’s customer service. The products can be amazing and I know there are plenty of great people that have and are currently working for the company, but their service continues to drive me up the wall.

It should not be this bloody difficult to correct. The referrals are easily found in their database logging software, so why the hell does it have to take an act of god for them to make the credits useable?? Hell, at this rate I only have a few months until the first $750 service credit will expire.. Ugh.

You were able to use the credit for a car? Very lucky. I'm being told right now that I cannot use the credit (which I have yet to receive) toward a car even though I was repeatedly told by my solar salesperson that I could. I'm in the middle of whining about it with customer service to see what they'll do for me.
This is what I got in one communication:

Tesla Credits can be used for most transactions except for apparel found in the Tesla Store. For example:

* Purchase costs for Model S/X/3 (not deposits)

* Services or repairs

* Vehicle accessories purchased through the Service Center

* Pre-Paid Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreements purchased through the Service Center

same thing here. I have no clue what's going on how to redeem these referral credit, which is going to expire soon. getting different answers from different tesla support. called solar side custom care, they are able to see my $750 credit, but in service center, they are not able to see it in their system. And custom care told me these credit can be used in service center, but service center told me they only sell stuff online, where you cannot use the referral credit, because it's not shown up anywhere in mytesla account.

So much frustrating. Anybody has ever been able to redeem successfully the credit?

After I filled out the W9 I finally got access to the credit. This was several months ago. I ordered the premium center console through the service center late last October, spawning yet another entirely similar frustrating experience. I called 5 weeks later and they said it had not been shipped yet and they would contact me when it arrived. I called again several weeks after that and got the same reply. I eventually gave up calling, figuring it wasn’t doing me any good. In early February I made an appointment at the SC due to my car developing the milling noise. When I dropped the car off I mentioned the center console. I’m not sure how this works or if they keep some items in stock that are not available for sale, but magically one had showed up and they installed it for me while my car was there. I’m grateful that service was able to install the console it was a nice surprise. Anyway, to close the loop on the whole process... I was finally able to spend the credits.

I’ve been able to use some of my credit by directly ordering through my local service center, but it’s been a huge hassle the whole way with pathetic delays. I’m pretty sure that some of my credits have technically expired specifically because of this pathetic process and the poor communication from the SC, even though I ordered my stuff WELL in advance of the year deadline. I’ll fight this thing to the death if I have to, though I might end up just ordering a few sets of tires.