Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof and Powerwall in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Population of China: 1.4 billion

Population of EU: 0.741 billion

Population of Canada: 0.037 billion

Hmm, what markets would you pursue?
I would very much doubt that's what they base it on. Population numbers alone are not a metric that can decide which market to enter into first. We share a border with the country where Solar/Powerwalls are manufactured. Hell, GF2 is just a short drive away from Ontario. Logistics would be much easier. For all we know, Canada will have product launches sooner than or at the same time as EU/China. We just don't know yet. Tesla hasn't stated one way or another.

I would very much doubt that's what they base it on. Population numbers alone are not a metric that can decide which market to enter into first. We share a border with the country where Solar/Powerwalls are manufactured. Hell, GF2 is just a short drive away from Ontario. Logistics would be much easier. For all we know, Canada will have product launches sooner than or at the same time as EU/China. We just don't know yet. Tesla hasn't stated one way or another.
Yes, they might not have announced Canada as they might consider it part of the (North) American market.

I don't want solar panels and a PowerWall in Canada, but I would like one in Mexico. Hopefully Tesla considers Mexico to be part of the (North) American market. My house in Canada is in a rainforest and electrical service outages are infrequent... three or four times in a year. The one in Mexico has much more sunlight and short term power failures are not uncommon.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Yes, they might not have announced Canada as they might consider it part of the (North) American market.

I don't want solar panels and a PowerWall in Canada, but I would like one in Mexico. Hopefully Tesla considers Mexico to be part of the (North) American market. My house in Canada is in a rainforest and electrical service outages are infrequent... three or four times in a year. The one in Mexico has much more sunlight and short term power failures are not uncommon.

I would like Solar in Ontario but the last time I got quoted it was very cost prohibitive. Maybe in another few years....

I think there is some shady gray market importers that does business in Ontario. They import it from the US and install it for you at some markup. I had a power wall reservation for over a year now in Ontario but no one has contacted me about it. Another small loan for Tesla I guess.

As I said in the first few posts of this thread - I don't think that Power Walls make a ton of sense in Canada when you are on the grid. If you want it as a backup in case your power goes out then you are better off having a Natural Gas generator. A Power Wall is very expensive and will last only a few hours, or a day or two. Generators can last indefinitely, which is useful if an ice storm knocks out power for a week.

In terms of solar panels, it made much more sense in Ontario a few years ago when we still had the microFIT regime. The current provincial government is not that keen on subsidies for green energy.

As I said in the first few posts of this thread - I don't think that Power Walls make a ton of sense in Canada when you are on the grid. If you want it as a backup in case your power goes out then you are better off having a Natural Gas generator. A Power Wall is very expensive and will last only a few hours, or a day or two. Generators can last indefinitely, which is useful if an ice storm knocks out power for a week.

In terms of solar panels, it made much more sense in Ontario a few years ago when we still had the microFIT regime. The current provincial government is not that keen on subsidies for green energy.
Unless your generator turns into a lawn ornament. :p

My parents had their house wired to accept a generator input, and the two times the power went out the generator wouldn’t start.

A powerwall maybe expensive, but it’s a LOT less maintenance and hassle. Add in if you add solar, you have a way to charge it if needed.

Most generators these days run off of natural gas and start up every couple of weeks to make sure that things are still working properly.
I know, my parents had me look over a couple of quotes they have for a propane generator system.

I’m still not convinced they’re a better option, especially since my parents are mostly techno-phobic. Back when they had VCR’s they always had me program them. :p

I know, my parents had me look over a couple of quotes they have for a propane generator system.

I’m still not convinced they’re a better option, especially since my parents are mostly techno-phobic. Back when they had VCR’s they always had me program them. :p
Then when the power blipped and you ask them the time, it would always be:

IncomparableReadyHornedviper-small.gif

Well the electricity grid mix isn't that bad in Canada and a solar roof might not make sense financially yet between the higher latitude and snow coverage so pursuing a market where it does make financial sense makes... more sense ?

generation-by-source-electricity_03-2019.png
I'm a little concerned with the decommissioning of the Pickering nuclear plant in 2024. I bet they try to pick up the slack with nat gas... will make that chart a little different.