Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof and skylight replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the design phase of a Solar Roof and trying to get a handle on what it will cost and what's involved. I have four skylights now and we're finishing an addition to the house that will add three more. (Seven skylights is what happens when an architect gets involved...) My contractor is ready to order the three new skylights and knowing that we're seriously considering the Solar Roof, he asked if there were any particular requirements for them. I emailed my project advisor and she replied:

"We will replace the skylights we have particular skylights that need to be installed. Our skylights are curb mounted. I’m not sure how you want to proceed with that, but Tesla will be replacing your skylights."

I've asked what kind of skylights they use but no response yet. My four existing skylights are just fine, and I don't want to hold up the work on the addition waiting for a Tesla roof and its required new skylights. And I don't want Tesla dictating particular skylights.

Does anybody have recent experience with a V3 roof install and skylights? Did Tesla insist on replacing them? Or could you have a discussion when the installers came?

Thanks for any insight!

My solar roof was installed last December. Although I don't have skylights, I remember the install advisor asking me if I had skylights and mentioning that it was good that I did not as it complicates the roof install. No idea about replacement standards.

My solar roof was installed last December. Although I don't have skylights, I remember the install advisor asking me if I had skylights and mentioning that it was good that I did not as it complicates the roof install. No idea about replacement standards.

I do not have particular to Tesla Roof install, but when I did roofing, the skylights come with different flashing kits depending on the type of roof to be used. The flashing kits are not interchangeable. Example Shingle Flashing kit would not work for Slate flashing kit

So best is to call Tesla and ask what flashing kit would they want with the Tesla Roof install.

Just completed a solar roof install in Potomac. We had three existing skylights and while they replaced the flashing on all to get it to the right height of the new roof they only replaced the oldest skylight. All three are now Velux flat ones versus the oldest replaced skylight was a bubble type.
Our project advisor had also indicated that every skylight would be replaced…it was the field project manager who eventually came, inspected and made the call on ordering only one replacement skylight.
Perhaps ask your project advisor who will/could be your field project manager out of Beltsville MD and that person can give your more specifics.