Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And in a further update:
a) They may have promised to add a powerwall on the phone, but they haven't given me anything in writing;
b) The "new" design for my roof drops it from an 11kW system to 8.83kW; but
c) If you click through to the "view system details," it's got the plans for the old 11kW system;
d) ...and the schematic that shows through on the account page for the 8.83kw system has my back yard labeled "front of house."

Meanwhile, I need a new roof. And of course, given the rise in materials prices in the year that Tesla's been waiting around, that's now a much more expensive proposition for me. It's not clear that Tesla makes economic sense anymore even if they were well organized. But I don't even know what I'm getting if I hit "accept" anymore.
The did the same to me. They dropped me from 18.18kw to 16.2kw and also added on roof deck replacement even though my technician said no roof deck replacement was necessary. I wonder if they are doing this to lend some sort of weight to saying this is due to some unforeseen complication. The original new agreement had an identical design and the higher price. Now they can claim they missed something and had to redesign and this is why the price is higher. Total BS of course and I don't think anyone would believe them. I also made it very clear their options were to honor their agreement or arbitrate, so if you did the same I wonder if this sort of strategy is just for the people who did that.

Reactions: VaBob and DoodleX
The did the same to me. They dropped me from 18.18kw to 16.2kw and also added on roof deck replacement even though my technician said no roof deck replacement was necessary. I wonder if they are doing this to lend some sort of weight to saying this is due to some unforeseen complication. The original new agreement had an identical design and the higher price. Now they can claim they missed something and had to redesign and this is why the price is higher. Total BS of course and I don't think anyone would believe them. I also made it very clear their options were to honor their agreement or arbitrate, so if you did the same I wonder if this sort of strategy is just for the people who did that.
Why is it worth the fight? And you think you will get support down the ride. Just seems too much emotion vs logic and stuff

Reactions: winfield100
I’ve been going through a similarly convoluted process, with conflicting and incorrect information showing on my account, etc. for quite some time.

Ive worked through almost all the details and the design is sufficiently finalized so that I’m comfortable with my tear off date next Monday and install the Monday after. Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly. There are still a few small details that aren’t fully resolved but I assume the on-site crew and I can discuss once they arrive.

My advice, if you’ve got the time and patience, is to call and reach your advisor or whoever answers, and be real specific with them until you’re satisfied with the result. Some reps are knowledgeable and others aren’t, so it’s a crapshoot unfortunately. I’ve avoided pressing ‘accept’ for things that don’t make sense- I assume that will ultimately delay everything because of future redesigns that will be required.

The hold times are completely ridiculous (sometimes up to two hours- I’ve been able to work while on hold) but I’ve found it to be worthwhile now that I’ve finalized the design and scheduled install (hopefully I’ll still feel that way in about two weeks!).

When I purchased my solar roof I questioned Tesla about the cost. What I was told was the price included (unitemized) unforeseen circumstances like full or partial deck replacement. However, this was back when 4/5 CDX was dirt cheep, now one sheet is a car payment.

Interesting development, but will give a rep one more chance before cancelling later today. After being told a couple weeks ago I could get a free PW, it never appeared in the proposed new agreement in my account. My agreement (the original, which is the only one executed) never included a PW, so I was unclear how they would offer it given the $6500 credits (for a $9k-$10k PW) I was seeing people post. Turns out they did submit the new proposal with PW 2.0 (specifies in SMART application) through MA Connected Solutions and SMART program, and the documents just appeared this AM. Below is the cost breakdown. As a reminder, my current agreement is $42k, no PW. We have 1:1 net metering here and I have a whole-home generator. To get any meaningful back up, I'd need 2 or more PW's, so just don't think this makes sense. Unless they agree to honor my original agreement, the traditional shingle ($13k) and solar quotes ($34k) would be for 12.6 kW (~100% consumption) using QCell black 340's with SolarEdge inverter. 10-year workmanship/penetration warranty and 25 year everything else. 50 year warranty on roof, which they claim will hold with the solar install.

View attachment 659442
I just cancelled after giving the rep I spoke with one more chance. He said they aren’t allowed to escalate pricing disputes any more. Good riddance. I guess I’ll update my SEIA, FTC and state AG office complaints.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I just cancelled after giving the rep I spoke with one more chance. He said they aren’t allowed to escalate pricing disputes any more. Good riddance. I guess I’ll update my SEIA, FTC and state AG office complaints.
What benefit do you get by canceling aside from getting your $100 back?

My plan is to just leave it there and see what happens... maybe having pending orders with signed contracts open will bother them enough to do something.

What benefit do you get by canceling aside from getting your $100 back?

My plan is to just leave it there and see what happens... maybe having pending orders with signed contracts open will bother them enough to do something.
Just signed with a roofer and a traditional solar installer that will honor agreement terms. I’m overdue for the roof after this 1+ year debacle, and hope to catch the latter 1/3 of summer solar production.

I did not sleep last night--I've been expecting a Tesla Energy representative to visit my home for the past 2 weeks to resolve some outstand issues, but I can't a response from anyone. So I sent the following to every Tesla Energy employee who has contacted me (believe it or not it’s 20). I know I’m tilting at windmills. Excuse my writing I'm sleep deprived.

I had Tesla install a solar roof on my house. Actual work started October 2020 and ended in January 2021. There were problems from the start. However one particular issues are the rain gutters on my house were damage during installation because it was assumed the rain gutters would be replaced by the installer so the leaned their ladders up against them. After I complained about the damage Tesla increased my bill by $2,112.50. Tesla has been pestering me to agree to the increase for at least a month, and will not fix and of the other issues I have until I agree to pay. We’ve gone back and forth with this and no one I talk to can make a decision. Tesla’s local after-sales customer service is ineffective to say the least. To add insult to injury in order to install galvanize drip edging across the eves slots where cut into the galvanize drip edging where the existing rain gutter hidden hangers are. This created tabs that were then bent up, which on a lower roof you can actually see from the ground. This looks hideous and will prematurely rust. I was told by a Tesla Energy customer support representative over the phone Tesla bends tabs down and tuck them behind the new rain gutter. This is not what drip edge is for. This will force the water behind the rain gutter and in the long term cause damage to my home. Another issue is my siding was cut very high and uneven and the j-channel was removed and never reinstalled—there are pieces of siding missing. Also, after the re-seal the Firestone CLAD-GARD SA leaked and damage was done to a closet door in the master bedroom (some Firestone CLAD-GARD SA actually blew off so there’s a big workmanship problem here). In the attic where the roof sheeting is exposed numerous, at least 20, leaks occurred, and water pooled on the attic floor. Due to the number of visible leaks it is reasonable to assume leaks also occurred in the cathedral ceilings and the insulation became wet so there could be latent damage, (cannot know unless all the drywall on the cathedral ceilings is removed). The final insult is my roof has never produced even 80%, at any instant, the amount of energy it was supposedly designed to produce.
Sorry to see all of the issues that you documented... it's now time to lawyer up!

Last edited: