Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a solar roof reservation since March 2020 (in MN). My purchase agreement was signed in April 2020. Today I got the note below which shows a new agreement which is just about $20k more than the original. No change in the proposed design.

We have increased the price of Solar Roof and have added adjustments for individual roof complexity. Learn More

You will receive an email in the next 1-2 days when your new agreement is ready for your review and acceptance before moving forward. If you are no longer interested in moving forward with Solar Roof, you can cancel your order by logging into your Tesla Account and your deposit will automatically be refunded.

We will be prioritizing customers based on the order in which they accept their updated agreements.

Best Regards,

solar old.JPG

solar new.JPG

I've had a solar roof reservation since March 2020 (in MN). My purchase agreement was signed in April 2020. Today I got the note below which shows a new agreement which is just about $20k more than the original. No change in the proposed design.

We have increased the price of Solar Roof and have added adjustments for individual roof complexity. Learn More

You will receive an email in the next 1-2 days when your new agreement is ready for your review and acceptance before moving forward. If you are no longer interested in moving forward with Solar Roof, you can cancel your order by logging into your Tesla Account and your deposit will automatically be refunded.

We will be prioritizing customers based on the order in which they accept their updated agreements.

Best Regards,

View attachment 652717

View attachment 652718
wow, just wow

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Just my personal opinion and I could be wrong of course. When Tesla initially dropped the price of solar roof V3 they went too low to get bites. The average wait time for a solar roof installation in the SF Bay Area is 6 months, so you can guess they have more orders than they can handle. With the price increase, they may include common pre-construction costs which a lot of people were complaining, things like permitting, new roof vents and possibly roof decking or partial repair of decking. I think most of these were included in the early days then Tesla started charging people for them because Tesla may not even break even with everything inclusive and people cried foul. So if you can get panels instead that would be a better option, solar roof is a premium product but I think was priced so low that Tesla was not making much money on it. May be in another year or two when they are caught up with installation they will lower the price again.

• Disagree
Reactions: henderrj and croman
I just got a similar email. $25K more.

The Solar Roof Panels themselves:
  • Original: $49,892.64
  • New: $71,001.44
They even increased the PW battery storage price by ~$1100 (~$8666, original was $7500) and the website is showing them as $5800 with a Solar project

Needless to say, while I can probably afford what they are asking, out of principal this is unacceptable. I'm pulling the plug on this project and likely just getting a new metal roof, with SunPower 4xxW's and PW's through a 3rd party supplier (MAYBE... I will highly consider SunPower's SunVault Power Storage at this point). This isn't the first time I've had a very poor customer experience with Tesla (In the past I had in WRITING I would get the Autopilot Upgrade for my Tesla Mode 3 and 2 years later nothing).

Shame - was looking forward to this project - ah well.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 3.50.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-10 at 3.50.22 PM.png

My Purchase Agreement was signed on 8/21/20. Original Net Cost after the solar credit was $52.7K. The Tesla permit application was filed in my SF Bay Area town a month ago, and the permit dept had two simple questions for Tesla, who has not responded a month later. Neither of the Tesla reps have responded to either telephone calls or email. Tesla's original estimate of completion date was late May 2021, or 9 MONTHS after the order date.

Today I got the attached, with a new price of $70.8K, or a 34.5% increase. Based on this, I calculate breakeven with a 4% electricity cost inflator (Tesla's estimate) at 16.5 years, 3 years longer than B/E on the original quote. I can afford the new cost, but I'm not sure it makes financial sense any more, quite apart from being really pissed off at Tesla's awful customer treatment on this whole thing (I've had the opposite experience on my Model S and Model 3).

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 3.48.23 PM.png

I just got a similar email. $25K more.

The Solar Roof Panels themselves:
  • Original: $49,892.64
  • New: $71,001.44
They even increased the PW battery storage price by ~$1100 (~$8666, original was $7500) and the website is showing them as $5800 with a Solar project
Well, on your breakdown, it looks like 3 powerwalls are still $7500, which is what I've seen recently for a month or two. The energy gateway is $1000 and install of powerwalls is usually about $2500.

If it's any consolation, they seem to be estimating the federal tax credit at 15%-20% on some estimates, rather than the current 26%. Not sure if there are some limits on what can be deducted? I thought solar and powerwalls would allow deduction of the entire project amount, unless the roof portion is not allowed?

That's interesting you are seeing a difference in Powerwall quote. Here the website (in PA) is showing 4 Powerwalls at $33,000, so subtracting the $3000 install cost puts them at $7500 still.

Last edited:
My Purchase Agreement was signed on 8/21/20. Original Net Cost after the solar credit was $52.7K. The Tesla permit application was filed in my SF Bay Area town a month ago, and the permit dept had two simple questions for Tesla, who has not responded a month later. Neither of the Tesla reps have responded to either telephone calls or email. Tesla's original estimate of completion date was late May 2021, or 9 MONTHS after the order date.

Today I got the attached, with a new price of $70.8K, or a 34.5% increase. Based on this, I calculate breakeven with a 4% electricity cost inflator (Tesla's estimate) at 16.5 years, 3 years longer than B/E on the original quote. I can afford the new cost, but I'm not sure it makes financial sense any more, quite apart from being really pissed off at Tesla's awful customer treatment on this whole thing (I've had the opposite experience on my Model S and Model 3).

View attachment 652744

Seriously, if you actually e-signed your purchase agreement before the price increase, you need to talk to your project advisor or someone. I signed my original purchase agreement in Sept 2020, then the 1300.00 price adjustment in Dec 2020 on additional pre-construction costs for permitting and roof vents and still got my roof installed in Feb before all these price increase. You signed your purchase agreement before me in the SF Bay Area and still not installed? Something wrong here.

Well, on your breakdown, it looks like 3 powerwalls are still $7500, which is what I've seen recently for a month or two. The energy gateway is $1000 and install of powerwalls is usually about $2500.

If it's any consolation, they seem to be estimating the federal tax credit at 15% on some estimates, rather than the current 26%. Not sure if there are some limits on what can be deducted? I thought solar and powerwalls would allow deduction of the entire project amount, unless the roof portion is not allowed?
Only a % of the roof that's generating electricity can be considered part of the ITC. Final # is usually provided after install (so I'm told).

My original contract was $7500 each (22.5K) they're now proposing 26K (for 3), $8666. They've increased it.

Ack/correction on the website, it's now $8666 as well (I was looking at the price with estimated ITC savings). So at least they were consistent in their price increase screwing for the entire contract :)

• Informative
Reactions: cobra
Seriously, if you actually e-signed your purchase agreement before the price increase, you need to talk to your project advisor or someone. I signed my original purchase agreement in Sept 2020, then the 1300.00 price adjustment in Dec 2020 on additional pre-construction costs for permitting and roof vents and still got my roof installed in Feb before all these price increase. You signed your purchase agreement before me in the SF Bay Area and still not installed? Something wrong here.
I've already reached out to mine, but I don't expect much to happen :|

I've already contacted my SunPower rep who's been super awesome and patient with me in the last year. My spouse was leaning with metal roofing, took some convincing to get her to consider Solar Roof - this just made my decision much easier.. and I'll likely have everything installed in the next 6-9 months (if I go with Equinox 12KW power storage as well). Getting new quotes as I type this.

I probably agree, but Tesla roof installations are enormous in the North Bay, and subcontractors Tesla uses out of Petaluma have been inundated. I would just like someone at Tesla to answer my frickin' phone calls.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I probably agree, but Tesla roof installations are enormous in the North Bay, and subcontractors Tesla uses out of Petaluma have been inundated. I would just like someone at Tesla to answer my frickin' phone calls.

I have in writing that I would get Autopilot added to my Tesla Model 3 2018 (it was delivered 2 days before they announced the price decrease and free auto-pilots). The Tesla rep. said all purchases made 4 weeks before the announcement would get AD added to their vehicles. I tried for several months.. constant run around - wasn't worth it.

I doubt you'll get much from Tesla on this subject either, it's out of their hands. If they really wanted to handle it properly, they could've honored current pricing. I suspect this is their way of clearing out the backlog of requests and re-adjusting the pricing based on recent raw material increases and learnings of project costs from installations over the last 6-12 months. Product is not ready for mainstream in my view... still a premium like the Roadster was. Give is another 2-3 years and you'll get a Model S like experience. 3-5 years Model 3 :)

Reactions: Big Earl
Sorry for your experience on the M3, I have a 2018 MS and my daughter has a 2018 M3 but we both paid 5000.00 for the EAP when we bought our cars so we have no experience in trying to activate free basic AP after the fact. The solar roof was really cheap before the price increase. But if you have signed the purchase agreement before the price increase they would honor it, I think. If your project advisor does not respond just keep calling, or call the general solar roof number. In my experience voicemail and email would go into a black hole, just keep calling until they pick up the phone. But if you like other vendors then just go for it, I’m sure they will provide better customer service than Tesla. In my experience, Tesla is more like a cat than a dog, you have to try a lot harder to get their attention. It’s really silly, but now I got it, I really love it.

Reactions: marcor
Sorry for your experience on the M3, I have a 2018 MS and my daughter has a 2018 M3 but we both paid 5000.00 for the EAP when we bought our cars so we have no experience in trying to activate free basic AP after the fact. The solar roof was really cheap before the price increase. But if you have signed the purchase agreement before the price increase they would honor it, I think. If your project advisor does not respond just keep calling, or call the general solar roof number. In my experience voicemail and email would go into a black hole, just keep calling until they pick up the phone. But if you like other vendors then just go for it, I’m sure they will provide better customer service than Tesla. In my experience, Tesla is more like a cat than a dog, you have to try a lot harder to get their attention. It’s really silly, but now I got it, I really love it.
I hear yea. For a larger project like this, there are many more variables to deal with and I prefer someone who answers my phone when I call the first time. Call me old fashion (I'm not that old), but for things like this - I much prefer a face/vendor I can rely on, even if there's a premium to be paid. Buying a car, especially via Tesla is a much more controlled and limited experience (Less things can go wrong/customize).

The silver lining is that I wanted a metal roof cost + sun power's as aesthetically would be much better (and more options), considering my spouse is an interior designer she already had her heart set on a design. Now that the cost of the solar roof exceeds the estimates I had on the metal roof + sun power's it's really a no brainer at this point.

FWIW I'm a dog owner/lover - but cats are awesome as well. I prefer a dog for home projects. Cats are ok for "canned" products like cars :)

Best of luck with your Solar Roof.. and to those who got a Saturday afternoon surprise as well!

cheers.

I doubt you'll get much from Tesla on this subject either, it's out of their hands. If they really wanted to handle it properly, they could've honored current pricing. I suspect this is their way of clearing out the backlog of requests and re-adjusting the pricing based on recent raw material increases and learnings of project costs from installations over the last 6-12 months. Product is not ready for mainstream in my view... still a premium like the Roadster was. Give is another 2-3 years and you'll get a Model S like experience. 3-5 years Model 3 :)
I agree with a lot of this (though we will see how the pricing goes over the next several years) - and it is disappointing that Tesla apparently is not honoring existing pricing.

That said, if the agreements read the way my Solar Roof contract from a year ago read, it does not appear Tesla has the right to unilaterally cancel the agreement - only the customer does. It seems Tesla can update the pricing due to "unforeseen conditions at the installation location" or if there is a change to the amount of solar, but not simply because they changed their pricing model. Unfortunately, it will probably not be worth the effort for most to press the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Yesterday, I finally got my roof design and I signed my roof contact within minutes of getting their quote.

Today, 24 hours later, I was told the price was going up by $32,000 or 35%. That’s what I call inflation! It’s so disappointing after I’ve been waiting 7 months to get this far.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has received the same email as others. It’s still so disappointing!