Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just cancelled my 22.2kw solar roof with 4 power walls. I originally (early this week) accepted the $50k increase, but can no longer justify it... I was lying to myself. I'm retired, and of all the things I could want or have, this solar roof was No 1 on the list. Guess, I'll start looking at number 3 (number 2 was a beach front condo... I close next week) - No 3 is a sailing cat...
But please count me in on a class action... a lot anticipation and heart ache went into the plans for this roof. Current roof should be good for another 5 years, so I have time. Now I need to deal with my HOA... again.

Just cancelled my 22.2kw solar roof with 4 power walls. I originally (early this week) accepted the $50k increase, but can no longer justify it... I was lying to myself. I'm retired, and of all the things I could want or have, this solar roof was No 1 on the list. Guess, I'll start looking at number 3 (number 2 was a beach front condo... I close next week) - No 3 is a sailing cat...
But please count me in on a class action... a lot anticipation and heart ache went into the plans for this roof. Current roof should be good for another 5 years, so I have time. Now I need to deal with my HOA... again.
Is it no fun dealing with be rational. I wanted some more PW's but made NO sense to spend the money. Better to spend on more solar panels, if I spend it at all. Wife would love more trips to Disneyland.

Reactions: WaitingForRoof
I understand you, even debated on putting in a new order with the "basic" complexity to see if the price would be the same. Can't justify it knowing they'll just add more increases along the line..

Reactions: VaNick
Depends what you mean by “get away.” General consensus is that for folks that actually spend the time and money to fight, it’s probably is easily winnable, especially for those with prep work, but it has to be done via arbitration. You are absolutely right though that especially if you don’t plan to given them another penny ever (likely me), best is to report your experience through any business accountability entity. Don’t forget SEIA as well as your state AG. There are a few of us that the AG office has agreed to advance the complaints on our behalf. They should not be able to get away from the bad PR.
I've contacted California's AG but have not heard back. Personally I do not have much damages and just linked this thread and articles, along with SEIA business codes they were breaking.

Maybe this spreadsheet will help with figuring out Tesla's pricing. I plugged info into their website and got these figures...

Attachments

• tesla-roof.jpg
    tesla-roof.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 70
Did anyone just get a call from Tesla offering them a free PowerWall?

I said no and I wanted the old agreement, since it would still be about $10k bump...

Think our push back may be working!
We got the same call. We told them they had previously told us our utility said we had to have 4 Power Walls (so we had decided against power walls) so did they want to give us 4? The guy said he had to look into that. Lol. For reference the new price had gone up $11k and we sent them a bill for $6,850 for main panel upgrade. We haven’t cancelled or accepted their new contract.

Yeah I hope Tesla at least rectifies your situation ... have you informed them that they have in fact started work and it would take you $xxxx to restore your meter and roof back to a code complaint state? Since they have started construction, I think an arbitrator would deem Tesla responsible to at least restore your home. But hopefully Tesla does right on you and finishes the job they started.

Their Illinois license would be in Jeopardy if they receive claims of this type of behavior where leaving homes with incomplete construction or demanding higher costs to continue (not start) promised work. This kind of becomes a form of extortion if they hold your home’s in-progress state hostage to hit you with a higher bill.
Ultimately, they came back to me after I threw a fit and said "because we've started the work, we'll honor the original contract". A day later, I get a text message and new quote because "the cost of wood increased" for the estimated underlay they think they will need to put in. For a ~1000 sq foot roof they are now charging me a ~$5000 in roof underlay (up from a quote of ~$3000 a few weeks ago) + ~$2300 for roof prep and repairs. They have never had a roofer on my main roof to assess any of this. This is a hundred-year-old house with 3 layers of shingles, so that isn't an out-of-control estimate, but it is indicative of their complete and total operational ineptitude and pathologic inability to hold to an agreement. I accepted it because I just want to be done with this, but I can only imagine they may come up with more bull$hit charges later and put me in the same extortionist position. If they hadn't already made major changes to my external electrical, I would have walked away. A $31K project is now at about $46K.

One has to wonder what the massive price increase will do to Tesla's business model for the solar roof, never mind the substantial damage this episode will have on their already shaky reputation. In addition to those of us under contract, will shareholders join the litigation fray once their energy division tanks and their shares take a hit?

Apart from the aesthetics of the solar roof, Tesla's business pitch (repeated ad nauseum on their website previously) was to emphasize the cost savings to those of us who needed a new roof but also wanted a solar panel. In my case, the roof tiles of my 25 year old home are in great condition due to our climate, but I needed the underlay replaced, so at the original price, I could justify entirely replacing the tiles with the solar roof. However, at double the original contract price of $43K, the Tesla solar roof quickly loses its appeal and competitive edge. By the time I recoup my now $85K investment, how much longer before I would need a new roof or solar panel again?

My original concerns about having access to replacement tiles over the long term, and the custom nature of the Tesla installation, have me very worried now even if I continued with them. With a traditional solar panel, there will at least be alternative replacement units available in the future because the panels and the installation methods have by now been fairly standardized within the industry. So who will service my solar roof if Tesla is not around, or they exit the business? With the solar roof's cost advantage gone, why would anyone take that gamble?

Like many of you I got a notice, and even a phone call, about the price increase. My total, before Tax Credits, increased from around $60,000 to $80,000 (34%). According to their Web site my system no longer made economic sense, it now only saved $4,000 over 25 years. I put the two estimates, my signed contract & their proposed contract, into an Excel spreadsheet to analyze the increase in more detail. One of the amusing findings is their estimate totals are not correct.

I also downloaded my signed 2021-02-25 contract and read it. I could not find any place that gives Tesla the right to raise the price. Except it does say "if Tesla encounters unforeseen conditions at the installation location you will receive an updated price sheet". But Tesla already did their site inspection in Feb and I am totally approved to install. Plus my house is catorgized as Simple.

One item I found very interesting is their Arbitration Clause (enclosed). It says you can send a written request to Tesla and if it is not resolved within 60 days it will go to Arbitration. I think Tesla would lose these cases.

Right now I am just going to keep my 6/28/21 install date and see what happens. I think they can't cancel the signed contract but may be able to postpone the install date. It helps to be in CA because we have strong consumer protection laws. Plus we have a strong Public Utilities Commission.

Attachments

• Tesla Solar Roof Increase V1.pdf
    56.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Arbitration Clause.png
    Arbitration Clause.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 55
Like many of you I got a notice, and even a phone call, about the price increase. My total, before Tax Credits, increased from around $60,000 to $80,000 (34%). According to their Web site my system no longer made economic sense, it now only saved $4,000 over 25 years. I put the two estimates, my signed contract & their proposed contract, into an Excel spreadsheet to analyze the increase in more detail. One of the amusing findings is their estimate totals are not correct.

I also downloaded my signed 2021-02-25 contract and read it. I could not find any place that gives Tesla the right to raise the price. Except it does say "if Tesla encounters unforeseen conditions at the installation location you will receive an updated price sheet". But Tesla already did their site inspection in Feb and I am totally approved to install. Plus my house is catorgized as Simple.

One item I found very interesting is their Arbitration Clause (enclosed). It says you can send a written request to Tesla and if it is not resolved within 60 days it will go to Arbitration. I think Tesla would lose these cases.

Right now I am just going to keep my 6/28/21 install date and see what happens. I think they can't cancel the signed contract but may be able to postpone the install date. It helps to be in CA because we have strong consumer protection laws. Plus we have a strong Public Utilities Commission.
Is if really worth the stress?

Did anyone just get a call from Tesla offering them a free PowerWall?

I said no and I wanted the old agreement, since it would still be about $10k bump...

Think our push back may be working!
Just joined TMC; I'm in the same boat. I got a voicemail yesterday saying that there's "exciting news." I guess that's the exciting news (free PowerWall). I would turn it down too. I'm also in Northern Virginia. There's net-metering here, so no need for PW. My solar roof went from $50K to $74K. I'm also not agreeing to new agreement and not cancelling. I've asked Tesla to follow through with the installation, which is scheduled for May 11. I think your roof is scheduled to start installation sooner. Please keep us posted on what happens.

Is if really worth the stress?
people handle stress differently ... for many it would be more stressful to just roll over and “Let this go” ... they would rather channel the negativity Tesla placed on them into effort to do what is right. I know this is a minor issue in big scheme of things but Imagine if everyone just accepted things that were not fundamentally right.
A lot of people are seriously pissed off, and nobody can blame them, it annoys me and I have no financial stake here. If people choose to walk away that is of course their right. If they choose to stay and fight within the law ..well then that is certainly their right as well.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Just joined TMC; I'm in the same boat. I got a voicemail yesterday saying that there's "exciting news." I guess that's the exciting news (free PowerWall). I would turn it down too. I'm also in Northern Virginia. There's net-metering here, so no need for PW. My solar roof went from $50K to $74K. I'm also not agreeing to new agreement and not cancelling. I've asked Tesla to follow through with the installation, which is scheduled for May 11. I think your roof is scheduled to start installation sooner. Please keep us posted on what happens.
Keep me posted. Looks like you’re the one before me. Booked for the 17th of May. Fingers crossed.

I am building a house in, NY. On March 9, 2021, I signed a contract with TESLA for a solar roof. My Tesla representative is Miguel Martinez. On March 23, 2021, I received an email from Tesla stating the price for my project will be increased by $17,253.48. After reaching out to Miguel, he said the management team confirmed that my price would not increase and that it was an automated email that was sent to me in error. I spoke with supervisor Amanda Henderson on a recorded line, who assured me that I would be charged the price I signed the contract for, $40,998.20. I received a second email on Saturday, April 10, 2021 stating they are no longer able to keep the price that is stated on the contract. After reaching out to Miguel yet again, he replied saying that Tesla would not be able to keep the previous agreement.

I have a signed contract for the stated price of $40,998.20 and I made a $100 downpayment. The only way Tesla can increase the price under Terms & Conditions paragraph 2 is if Telsa encounters unforeseen circumstances at the installation location or causes a change to the solar portion of the solar roof. The reason that was provided to me for increasing pricing does not meet the condition precedent to increase the price.

I am building a modular home and I opted out of the roof system because I got confirmation to use the TESLA roof. At this point, my house is being shipped from the manufacturing plant without a roof and this is not acceptable. We have paid a non-refundable deposit on the home, and no changes can be made at this point.
Tesla Price Increase.png