Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and i am an engineer. facts matter to me. ;)
And when you mention some that are relevant, you'll be more than an annoyance. Being an engineer doesn't make your opinion on whether it's worth it to contest an issue more valid.

You don't like the product. We get it. People who did like the product at a price under contract object to being told they must pay more. There's nothing illogical or emotional about that, simply because an almighty engineer issues an alternate opinion, and can't distinguish it from fact.

Class action Filed:

Reach out to Peter
That's fascinating. The complaint cites to a Pennsylvania consumer protection act that supposedly restricts the use of arbitration clauses. (See paragraph 76.) I have no idea if that's meaningful, but I hope someone is scouring state consumer protection laws to see if they have similar terms.

Looking for informed commentary from someone who knows about arbitration. We have ~32 days to being able to file for arbitration, and I assume everyone is in the same boat as me in terms of Tesla never having responded to the [email protected] notification. How do we proceed if Tesla doesn't respond by the time day 60 rolls around? The contract says Tesla will pay the fees, but rules I read (https://www.adr.org/sites/default/files/Commercial-Rules-Web.pdf) seemed to suggest a fee was due to initiate the filing. How do we kick this process off without paying the fee or waiting an indefinite period for Tesla to respond?

Anyone get a reply back on a reimbursement request? Sent one to them on Apr 15th and not a peep.

"If you cancel your order and have completed prep work to your home or property directly for the Solar Roof installation, please send your receipts to [email protected] within 30 days of receiving your updated order agreement for our review and reimbursement after we review."

Anyone get a reply back on a reimbursement request? Sent one to them on Apr 15th and not a peep.

"If you cancel your order and have completed prep work to your home or property directly for the Solar Roof installation, please send your receipts to [email protected] within 30 days of receiving your updated order agreement for our review and reimbursement after we review."
Nope. And I wouldn't hold out hope either. The contract is the only leverage we have.

Reactions: VaBob
Nope. And I wouldn't hold out hope either. The contract is the only leverage we have.

In my case I did cancel. They had not started installs in MN yet and the reply I got back said that even if I accepted the increase MN was still on holds for installs. I figure with the price increase there would be little chance they would have enough demand to start installs here. I'm currently pricing out regular roofing plus panels. Not even looking at Tesla panels because of this.

In my case I did cancel. They had not started installs in MN yet and the reply I got back said that even if I accepted the increase MN was still on holds for installs. I figure with the price increase there would be little chance they would have enough demand to start installs here. I'm currently pricing out regular roofing plus panels. Not even looking at Tesla panels because of this.
Getting close, here’s an install in Onalaska Wisconsin.

I just got a check in the mail today. All I can say is WOW. They sent me a check for the entire cost of the A/C unit I installed. I guess is helped that on the quote it was listed as a requirement that it be compatible with a Tesla Powerwall. (sent them both the quote and the receipt).

Last edited:
My solar roof order was for a new construction single family home.
Saw >50% price increase and decided to quit.

Here's my lost from project cancellation -
1. $3K special roof waterproofing asked by Tesla representative.
2. $9K full house heat pump system which I bought specifically to leverage solar. (would go with cheaper gas furnace otherwise)
3. >$10K cost of keeping construction site open(interest, labor, etc) due to project delay cause by Tesla solar roof.

I asked Tesla to reimburse 1 and 2. So far zero reply.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
2. $9K full house heat pump system which I bought specifically to leverage solar. (would go with cheaper gas furnace otherwise)
3. >$10K cost of keeping construction site open(interest, labor, etc) due to project delay cause by Tesla solar roof.
I'd consider (2) as good for the planet no matter what, especially if you still plan to get solar from some other source. I have gas heat but I can't change it to electric because my 100A service can't be feasibly upgraded (underground service lines direct-buried under the neighbor's yard).

Reactions: winfield100
My solar roof order was for a new construction single family home.
Saw >50% price increase and decided to quit.

I asked Tesla to reimburse 1 and 2. So far zero reply.
Haven't heard back from resolutions either and I only asked if my solar panel order have re-roofing expedited because they said it can be up to one year wait or do it myself. :rolleyes:

Haven't heard back from resolutions either and I only asked if my solar panel order have re-roofing expedited because they said it can be up to one year wait or do it myself. :rolleyes:
Although my problem is different I find getting an after-sales decision from Tesla to be anemic at best. I've been waiting since mid-January to find out what action Tesla will take to correct workmanship issues and damage to my house. The customer interface is very friendly but the response has been underwhelming.

Reactions: WaitingForRoof