Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well I spent over $500 a year on an un-used gym membership so $4k over 10 years is not much lol.

Also if you sign a contract today they make you get the max size. I have gas heating/dryer so I have no need for such a huge installation to hit 100% offset.
1.5 years (started Feb 2020) unused on 2 sport club memberships for us. $3,200/year.

Uhhhh why don't ya'll cancel your memberships?
We pre-paid right before the lockdown. So we have to start our "free" year starting sometime in the near future. If we cancel the membership they keep the money.

We also had some cancelled plane tickets that are going to expire. Covid is so fun.

We pre-paid right before the lockdown. So we have to start our "free" year starting sometime in the near future. If we cancel the membership they keep the money.

We also had some cancelled plane tickets that are going to expire. Covid is so fun.

Annual prepaid non refundable gym memberships??

I haven’t seen a con so bad since this one solar roof company took a bunch of pre orders to get people all excited for their new product. Then they increased pricing in the middle of the deal by like 50% because someone did new math. Some people gladly paid the increase since they piss excellence and money. Then other people got the old pricing since they did nothing.

Annual prepaid non refundable gym memberships??

I haven’t seen a con so bad since this one solar roof company took a bunch of pre orders to get people all excited for their new product. Then they increased pricing in the middle of the deal by like 50% because someone did new math. Some people gladly paid the increase since they piss excellence and money. Then other people got the old pricing since they did nothing.
Yep. They give 2 or so months free if you pre-pay. But, if you never use it is not a great value.

It made sense when we were going 4 days a week. Not so much nowadays.

New article from CNBC saying Tesla plans to allow some customers to return to old contract prices. Tesla to reverse solar price hike for some customers, legal filing says

For my own contract, i resigned after the price hike when they offered the free powerwall and free upsize. I decided to continue despite the price hike of about $20kish. However, i havnt move forward and tried to negotiate price down a bit after hearing they returned to old prices for some contracts. Yesterday, my advisor called and offered $7500 additional off if i signed again and also agreed to first install date. Offer was available for 1 day. I resigned again (3rd time). With all the discounts combined, I’m not too far from original price although they still refuse to go back to original contract.

Reactions: FlatSix911

"Now, new documents from the United States District Court, Northern District of California, San Jose Division, states that Tesla will have to return pricing to the original rate. On September 13th, 2021, Tesla’s lawyers informed counsel for Plaintiffs that Tesla would be replacing the prices to what they were initially agreed upon. The court documents said:

“On September 13, 2021, counsel for Tesla informed counsel for Plaintiffs that Tesla had recently launched a program for customers who signed Solar Roof contracts before the April 2021 price changes to return those customers to their original pricing (if they were subject to a price increase in April 2021). Plaintiffs’ counsel have requested additional details and advised counsel for Tesla that they believe settlement discussions should commence immediately in order to consider, clarify, and formalize certain terms of relief.”
The decision will affect all “similarly situated individuals.” Fox News initially reported the development."

Just saw that article. I got the following email on Tuesday:

Thank you for your interest in Solar Roof. In April 2021, Tesla increased pricing for some Solar Roof customers. Since then, we have updated our policy for customers who signed agreements before March 27, 2021. We’re now offering you the chance to proceed with Solar Roof under your pricing and terms that were in place before the April price change.

In the next two weeks, you will receive an updated price sheet, which can be reviewed and accepted in your Tesla Account.

Haven't seen the updated price yet.

It will be interesting to see if they will have to do anything for people that went ahead with the increased price installation, or those that canceled because of it.

Personally I canceled and went with a local company for panels. Tesla hasn't even started solar roof installs in MN so I decided not to hold out. I don't expect anything since Tesla already paid me $7k to reimburse for the A/C I upgraded in prep for the solar roof. I really didn't even expect they'd pay for the A/C, but I guess because in the quote for it I specified it must be compatible with a Powerwall they counted it as prep work.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I finally was able to speak with the advisor that left me the message today. Looks like Tesla decided to honor the original pricing on some select contracts. He couldn't elaborate on what the selection criteria was, but I'm guessing it has a lot to do with how much of a price increase comes from the new pricing. In my case, the initial increase was almost $19K, but after the free powerwall offer and the upsize offer the difference went down to about $10K. Obviously, these offers go away with the original pricing, but I'm going to proceed with the project.

To those that ask how can one trust Tesla after this stunt I say this - I believe that Tesla didn't intentionally bait and switch. After all, they did quite a few installations at the original price before April, but were too slow to realize the real costs of these installations. So, I attribute the wrong pricing to poor management on the executive level of the solar roof product. Musk fired quite a few people from the solar division due to this. I have 2 Tesla cars and I bought my first model S in 2015 and so far my experience with both the products and the service has been great. This experience with the roof contract was an exception, but if they are going to honor the original contract then that's the signal that Tesla is trying to do the right thing when they can.
Do you know if the original signed contract includes those who placed a deposit and got an initial quote or only those who signed a contract with a design?

My solar roof is installed and at the original quoted price. I'm pretty happy with everything. I also got 2 Powerwall+ instead of just the original 2 Powerwalls. They started tear off on 23 August and finished tear off and installation of the underlayment in about a week (not working all week). These were not Tesla employees but a contracted company. Tesla employees started on 30 August with Powerwall + install on the 31st. Installation of the roof took 2 weeks with inspection and city approval on 10 September. The only thing remaining is waiting on approval to turn it on. This could take 6 weeks.

Do you know if the original signed contract includes those who placed a deposit and got an initial quote or only those who signed a contract with a design?
I placed my order on Thanksgiving 2020, but there were delays on Tesla's side that kept the design from being delivered until mid-July, then we had some negotiation regarding the size and the design details, and I signed on August 30 (that is, definitely not before March 27, 2021). So I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email yesterday saying that I would receive an updated price sheet, which arrived today. The new price is 30% lower. Maybe my job qualified because I placed my order before March but did not have an opportunity to sign before the cutoff date since they had not delivered a design.

I got same offer (original price) and I am very happy about it. However, I have noticed that additional $5000 (result from site visit) and advisor told me it is $4000 for ice-shield (NE region might need it ????) and $1000 for gutters removal (they will not charge if I hire someone for gutter removal). Anyone have same experience after site visit ?

I got same offer (original price) and I am very happy about it. However, I have noticed that additional $5000 (result from site visit) and advisor told me it is $4000 for ice-shield (NE region might need it ????) and $1000 for gutters removal (they will not charge if I hire someone for gutter removal). Anyone have same experience after site visit ?
The gutter piece is not uncommon - it depends on the type and positioning of the gutters relative to the roof and really is something that requires the site visit to determine. In our case, the gutters couldn't even be re-installed, due to the gutter guard system we had, so new ones were required. Whether you replace or re-install, it is probably worth getting competitive quotes.

The ice shield piece is new, and something that would be interesting to hear more about. Solar Glass Snow Avalanches has some previous discussion of the "snow avalanche" issue, as well as a user who spent time both to work with Tesla on the issue and identified third-party solutions. I am guessing the $4,000 is the Tesla solution being brought to market, but it might be worth getting more information on what it is and whether third-party solutions might work as well at a much lower cost.