Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently they can add solar tiles closer to the roof edge now which is increasing max KW production. For my roof this bumped the max up from 32KW to 42KW.
Happen to have some info on “closer to the roof edge” tiles? Typically, the last tile touching the metal flashing tile is always inactive/glass.

Also… WOW 42kW of active tiles is awesome, how many hundreds of kWh are you producing a day?

Apparently they can add solar tiles closer to the roof edge now which is increasing max KW production. For my roof this bumped the max up from 32KW to 42KW.
these are large numbers
i have an 11,655 system at 26.6 degrees north, SWFl, and make 17,400kwh/yr.
your system will be ~3.5x larger. (i keep my pool at 89degrees electric heat, plus 100% elec house)

My contract, signed just a few months before the price increase, was honored early on without drama. The advisor I worked with was very professional and prompt in his communications, and I experienced little delay or difficulty with my install. What's puzzling to me is the wide disparity in customer experiences throughout this sad episode. The negative press, lawsuits, and government investigations, could have all been avoided.

Anyway, my solar installation commenced on time in May, the completed work was inspected by the city in June, and with Socal Edison's blessing, I was able to turn on the solar roof in July. It all went like clockwork. Tesla's work crew was very experienced ("a few hundred installations"), professional and courteous; I would rate them as excellent. The system has been generating electricity since late July, although not quite at the rate I expected, so the jury is still out on that. All in all, I'm very pleased with the experience.

So what went so wrong for others? I can only guess that with the high turnover among Tesla Solar's senior management team as things were unfolding, an organization already under stress devolved into chaos. With a weakened central command, decision-making became ad hoc, and consistent messaging and responsiveness was lost. Customer service became hit-or-miss for many; I was among the lucky ones.

Just as with their EV division, I hope Tesla Solar survives this experience, and becomes all the more stronger for it. However, for that to happen, Elon Musk needs to build up a stronger organizational core, and then allow his team to perform ("Trust, but verify, and then get out of the way" is what I tell my management team). They have an aspirational product, and if they can keep costs reasonable, I believe there is still a strong market and future for Tesla Solar.
What part of the Orange County you are from? For Some reasons, Tesla was not able to get the approval from Orange County Fire Authorities . We have signed the contract not long ago. It was only in early Feb 2020. We are indeed unlucky ones with all the other things that are happening now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have not received any email or text or call, but I'm wanting to hear who does and what the situation is with that.

Their estimator is clearly not working properly. I put in my address, and say my bill is $400 a month, and they say I need a 42kW roof with 4 powerwalls for ~ $170k. I am currently under contract (and the underlayment installed) for a 17kW system (the max they could shoe-horn on to my roof) with 6 powerwalls for around the same price. If I up my bill to $500, it says a 53kW system. up it to $1000 - 83kW system!! I tried a couple of other addresses around my house with the same results. If I set my electric bill at $163, I'm able to get the same size as mine, for about 148K (still much more than my original contract of 110, but less than the new contract).

Although I am noticing that the "loan" option is now 0.99% for 10 years - a far cry from the 6.99 they had when I signed my deal! I'm doing a whole house renovation, so I opted to pay "cash" and finance through my construction loan instead of using their offer. But if I can get 0.99%, that's a very different conversation.

I'll keep watching this space for updates...
Happen to have some info on “closer to the roof edge” tiles? Typically, the last tile touching the metal flashing tile is always inactive/glass.

Also… WOW 42kW of active tiles is awesome, how many hundreds of kWh are you producing a day?
This info was provided by my Tesla rep verbally. I had a pre-April ‘21 contract for a 32KW system priced at ~$150k, price was jacked up +$100k in April so had to cancel. Just went through the quote process again recently and the capacity bumped up to 42KW but price also bumped up to $260k - no way to make that work even with my sky high electric bill! I’m trying to reinstate my 32KW order but no response yet.

This info was provided by my Tesla rep verbally. I had a pre-April ‘21 contract for a 32KW system priced at ~$150k, price was jacked up +$100k in April so had to cancel. Just went through the quote process again recently and the capacity bumped up to 42KW but price also bumped up to $260k - no way to make that work even with my sky high electric bill! I’m trying to reinstate my 32KW order but no response yet.
Cant take it with you :)

• Funny

What is your roof sqft btw?

What part of the Orange County you are from? For Some reasons, Tesla was not able to get the approval from Orange County Fire Authorities . We have signed the contract not long ago. It was only in early Feb 2020. We are indeed unlucky ones with all the other things that are happening now.
Huntington Beach. It is strange that Tesla would have had to get approval from the County fire authorities. To my knowledge, the only approval Tesla obtained prior to my install was from SoCal Edison, and the City of HB. I understand that there have been numerous Tesla solar roofs installed within the County, so even if that was a requirement, why would the County be denying them now?

Huntington Beach. It is strange that Tesla would have had to get approval from the County fire authorities. To my knowledge, the only approval Tesla obtained prior to my install was from SoCal Edison, and the City of HB. I understand that there have been numerous Tesla solar roofs installed within the County, so even if that was a requirement, why would the County be denying them now?
Fire authorities do not like that they cannot easily walk on or cut through the solar glass.

We have a local jurisdiction that makes you sign a waiver for a solar roof. That you may not have any rooftop fire fighting operations performed if you install solar glass roofs.

Even when it was ok in the past, it may not be ok going forward. This is subject to the AHJ discretion.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Fire authorities do not like that they cannot easily walk on or cut through the solar glass.

We have a local jurisdiction that makes you sign a waiver for a solar roof. That you may not have any rooftop fire fighting operations performed if you install solar glass roofs.

Even when it was ok in the past, it may not be ok going forward. This is subject to the AHJ discretion.

Interesting. I can see the logic in that, although my previous roof was concrete tile, so not that much easier to penetrate. My home has a sprinkler system throughout, so that may have made a difference.

However, in rjpc's case, it sounds like they didn't even give him the option of such a waiver; just a flat denial. He may want to pursue it further directly with the county fire dept.

these are large numbers
i have an 11,655 system at 26.6 degrees north, SWFl, and make 17,400kwh/yr.
your system will be ~3.5x larger. (i keep my pool at 89degrees electric heat, plus 100% elec house)
Not proud of it, but significant energy usage from pool, sprinklers, well water system, 2 A/C zones and a mini data-center. Have installed propane for Range & Dryer. Water heater operates using a heat pump.

7,538 - however that includes a separate guesthouse (1000 sqft) which required non-solar tiles as it was wasn’t practical to connect it to the main property.
I have 8,643 sqft roof and 25kw system of which 1600 sqft is a separate studio which will have active tiles and they just cut my price by 30k to 200k before incentives. I haven't spoken to anyone yet as of why the cut but haven't commited yet.

Not proud of it, but significant energy usage from pool, sprinklers, well water system, 2 A/C zones and a mini data-center. Have installed propane for Range & Dryer. Water heater operates using a heat pump.
What is your roof like? Here is an image of my layout:

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 4.03.49 AM.png

I decided to give up on negotiating. When I signed the price increase "new contract" total price was I think $56k and $48k after rebate.
Overall price when down due to oversizing and more of a rebate.

$51.8k using old pricing = 11.69kw Roof (2850 sq ft total roof) + Powerwall 2/7.6 inverter.

$38.7k after tax rebate with 0.99% interest. I did $20k down.

So traditional asphalt roof would have cost me $25k. Upgrading to Solar Shingles cost me only $14k more. ROI now calculated within 7 years (had to get a new roof regardless).

Apparently they also gave me a powerwall 2 and not a powerwall+. wtf lol.

I decided to give up on negotiating. When I signed the price increase "new contract" total price was I think $56k and $48k after rebate.
Overall price when down due to oversizing and more of a rebate.

$51.8k using old pricing = 11.69kw Roof (2850 sq ft total roof) + Powerwall 2/7.6 inverter.

$38.7k after tax rebate with 0.99% interest. I did $20k down.

So traditional asphalt roof would have cost me $25k. Upgrading to Solar Shingles cost me only $14k more. ROI now calculated within 7 years (had to get a new roof regardless).

Apparently they also gave me a powerwall 2 and not a powerwall+. wtf lol.
Shall be interesting down the road when/if these roofs have issues, and how will they get fixed.

I put a a lifetime asphalt roof. Anyone can fix. And then 90 panels, which if technology changes, and can easily upgrade. KIIS is sometimes the best solution, not sexy.

Interesting. I can see the logic in that, although my previous roof was concrete tile, so not that much easier to penetrate. My home has a sprinkler system throughout, so that may have made a difference.

However, in rjpc's case, it sounds like they didn't even give him the option of such a waiver; just a flat denial. He may want to pursue it further directly with the county fire dept.
I believe City of Irvine requires the approval from the Fire Authority in order to get the city permit. As for as I know Tesla has been working with them ever since I have signed the contract in early 2020 and they have been modifying the design for them to get the approval. Ours is the first project in Irvine. That’s why I am surprised to hear they have approved yours. It may be that every City has different rules. But Tesla had mentioned once that OC Fire Authorities were holding all the permits including LA county Fire Authorities even though LA county approved few projects initially.