Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got a system design for a Solar Roof install in the Tampa, FL area. The final design is a 26.55 KW system with 4405 sq ft of roof. Total cost is 95,011.14 without any power walls (Cost breakdown below). Our dimensional shingle roof is near the end of its life so we need to replace the roof. However, given the cost we are trying to decide if it is better to replace with conventional roof and solar panels (not sure if Tesla can do a system bigger than the extra large) or do the solar roof. Also, Tesla said they are working on getting wind certification for the solar roof to meet our counties requirements and they hope to have that by the the time permitting needs to start. They said they think they will get 170mph cert but our county needs 145 I think. Also a bit concerned about being such an early adopter. Have been encouraged by some folks that have posted YouTube videos about solar roof. Any members in Florida that have had a solar roof installed? Thoughts about pros and cons?

Cost comparison below:
Solar Roof Qoute
Total Sq Ft 4405
Total Kw 26.55
Cost $ 95,011.14
Federal Incentive $ 19,000.00
New Subtotal $ 76,011.14
Powerwalls (5) $ 27,290.00
Total $ 103,301.14

Solar Plus Shingle Roof Estimate
Solar Panel
Roof 22,024
Total Kw 16.32
Cost 30,000
Federal Incentive 7800
New Sub 22,200
Pw (4) 19610
Total $ 63,834.00

They'll do larger than XL. I'm adding 8 panels to an XL. They just run it through an engineering team to re-spec.

Powerwalls installed at the time of the solar are included in the tax credit. I don't know their cost because I'm not getting any, but it looks like you're only deducting the roof/panel cost as incentive.

The tax credit math has a carryover. To get the entire credit when you file next year, your 1040 line 12b needs to be greater than or equal to 2 times the credit. See the calcs on Form 5695 lines 14 and 15, and the limit worksheet at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf#en_US_2019_publink100078812. (Limit from the worksheet is the lesser of your credit or your 12b tax minus your credit.)

26kW may cause panel, service, and transformer upgrades. You won't know until your utility gets the interconnect application.

Personally, one man's decision, I'm not a buyer for solar roof because:
- solar chemistry is not at end game yet, I will want to replace in 10-12 years
- solar roof puts expensive product on north and east facing roof, solar panels put expensive product only where maximum potential exists
- trees fall, and things fly around in hurricanes. I'm putting panels on 40% of my roof. I have a 60% chance of a less expensive repair
- I live in an HOA community and don't want to move out yonder. Statute requires HOAs to approve panel applications unless a design option exists that is more compliant with the architectural guidelines. Solar roof always violates "could the system produce the power the property needs without street-facing panels" that is common in ARC guidelines.

- solar roof puts expensive product on north and east facing roof, solar panels put expensive product only where maximum potential exists
- trees fall, and things fly around in hurricanes. I'm putting panels on 40% of my roof. I have a 60% chance of a less expensive repair

One quick clarification here. When you get a solar roof there are some roof tiles that actually have solar cells in them and some roof tiles that are just glass with no solar generation ability. Typically the non solar (and less expensive) tiles would go along the edges of the roof and on the low production mounting planes so the roof looks uniform without putting expensive solar tiles in places where they don’t make sense. I’m sure they are probably still more expensive than, say, an asphalt shingle, but if they were to be damaged it would be much less to repair than a solar panel or a solar tile.

They'll do larger than XL. I'm adding 8 panels to an XL. They just run it through an engineering team to re-spec.

Powerwalls installed at the time of the solar are included in the tax credit. I don't know their cost because I'm not getting any, but it looks like you're only deducting the roof/panel cost as incentive.

The tax credit math has a carryover. To get the entire credit when you file next year, your 1040 line 12b needs to be greater than or equal to 2 times the credit. See the calcs on Form 5695 lines 14 and 15, and the limit worksheet at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf#en_US_2019_publink100078812. (Limit from the worksheet is the lesser of your credit or your 12b tax minus your credit.)

26kW may cause panel, service, and transformer upgrades. You won't know until your utility gets the interconnect application.

Personally, one man's decision, I'm not a buyer for solar roof because:
- solar chemistry is not at end game yet, I will want to replace in 10-12 years
- I live in an HOA community and don't want to move out yonder. Statute requires HOAs to approve panel applications unless a design option exists that is more compliant with the architectural guidelines. Solar roof always violates "could the system produce the power the property needs without street-facing panels" that is common in ARC guidelines.

Our HOA had no issues with the SolarRoof. It looks like a very cool and nice roof. Several of the other homeowners are consider it after seeing ours.

HOAs that try to over regulate things are the worse. On ours everyone is friends and the rules are basically don't do anything to crazy that will pull down people's home values.

One quick clarification here. When you get a solar roof there are some roof tiles that actually have solar cells in them and some roof tiles that are just glass with no solar generation ability. Typically the non solar (and less expensive) tiles would go along the edges of the roof and on the low production mounting planes so the roof looks uniform without putting expensive solar tiles in places where they don’t make sense. I’m sure they are probably still more expensive than, say, an asphalt shingle, but if they were to be damaged it would be much less to repair than a solar panel or a solar tile.

Good point about the damage repair. Solarglass tiles are held in wita metal clips that are bonded into the shingle. Replacement is pry up the old one and insert a new one and click it into place. For active tiles there are also two power cables molded into the tile. They connect/disconnect with a simple twist.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I am concerned about how rapidly technology will improve and that could be an issue with the solar roof since you have a large capital cost invested. The panels could probably be slowly rotated out with newer ones, No doubt the solar roof has a cleaner install and look.

@tropical1 I am in the bay area as well. What did you end up doing? I am awaiting Tesla's engineering to get back to us with the specs of the system after putting the $100 deposit.

@jboy210 can you post pics of the finished product?

I did a write up on the SolarRoof install with a lot of pictures. You can find it here. Feel free to ask questions.

I just did a long write-up on my dilemma during new residential construction, and I'm also in the Tampa area. Wow, that's a lot of power you're getting but your home is likely much bigger than mine. Mine is waterfront so I have to build up, and only 2500 sqft main living floor, although once I get the CO I'll finish out the "first floor" uninsurable area with tile flooring and create a few rooms or recreation area, and use ductless AC down there. I am hoping that although I'll generate far less power than you that the 2 PWs offset that. Given that I'm not an expert all I can say is your timing is right because you have replace your roof anyway. For me the timing is good b/c it's new construction.

I'll have to check out all the other posts in here, including the link above. A lot to consider.

I just did a long write-up on my dilemma during new residential construction, and I'm also in the Tampa area. Wow, that's a lot of power you're getting but your home is likely much bigger than mine. Mine is waterfront so I have to build up, and only 2500 sqft main living floor, although once I get the CO I'll finish out the "first floor" uninsurable area with tile flooring and create a few rooms or recreation area, and use ductless AC down there. I am hoping that although I'll generate far less power than you that the 2 PWs offset that. Given that I'm not an expert all I can say is your timing is right because you have replace your roof anyway. For me the timing is good b/c it's new construction.

I'll have to check out all the other posts in here, including the link above. A lot to consider.

Just curious, why is the 1st floor "uninsurable"? Storm surge?

For those who are concerned about obsolescence:
Nearly 30 years ago I put solar panels in a house in a Bahamian island. The house, cold storage, boathouse and everything else were entirely solar powered. The panels are still there, still functioning, still powering the island. Technologically they are 100% obsolete. If you buy a solar roof or panels today they'll still be working a few decades from now. Better, cheaper and smaller installations will soon be available but those old ones will still work well. That is true almost without reference to the manufacturer IMHO.

I would buy the best ones that exist when I buy them and plan for them to outlive me.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I am hoping that although I'll generate far less power than you that the 2 PWs offset that.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this statement. The powerwalls won’t generate any excess solar power or allow you to get by with a smaller solar system. All the powerwalls will do is allow you to have backup power in the event of a grid failure and (optionally) allow you to ‘time shift’ your solar power so you can use solar power at night by running off of the batteries then. But frankly, it’s not necessary to do that here in florida because we have 1:1 net metering.

But whether you have powerwalls or not your solar system will only generate a specific amount of power.

I did a write up on the SolarRoof install with a lot of pictures. You can find it here. Feel free to ask questions.
Awesome. I appreciate the link. LOL nice pallets!

I can already see some challenges with our property being a paver driveway and at least 50' front the roadway to the beginning of the home.

@ScottFLA are you willing to post or PM some pics of the finished product?

FYI I live in a HOA and having some concrete examples may aid in the approval process for the SolarRoof.

Hi All-
@z32 fairlady we have a design from Tesla for 26.55 KwH with a cost before incentives of ~$95K. However, I am doubting whether it could be completed in 2020 and we haven't signed off yet on the design. If it goes into 2021, then the federal tax credit is reduced from 26 too 22%. We were comparing the cost of getting a new roof and adding the solar panels versus the solar roof. It would cost less to go the solar panel route but the warranty on the roof is voided with addition of the solar panels and it doesn't look quite as nice.

I have sent the Tesla adviser a few more questions including if we need this size system. I would also like to see an installed system locally. I heard there was one in Bradenton and possibly Fishhawk Ranch. I will post on progress in this thread. Great to hear from others locally that are considering installing one.

Just curious, why is the 1st floor "uninsurable"? Storm surge?

That’s correct. Due to hurricanes and being in a flood plain you have to build up under current codes. What nearly everyone does building waterfront is wait until getting a CO and then finish out the unused areas off the garage (w/o pulling a permit) realizing that if the big one comes they’d better get all valuables from below before it hits.

I live in St Petersburg and just had the Tesla solar roof install finished. The crew was amazing customer support and delays before project started not so much. Final product I couldn't be happier with. the system is 21.1 kWh and 3 power walls would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the process. but if you can deal with the lack of communications and you need a new roof anyway I highly recommend it.you can contact me at [email protected] with any questions