Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roof install, day 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The roofing sub tore off the roof at the end of last week, put on the new decking over the skip sheathing, and then the last 2 days have been finishing the decking, fixing some dry rot, and then underlayment & flashing. I think the roof prep will extend another day.

Was originally getting the Firestone underlayment (2 pallets were in the driveway), but they showed up with Colbalt yesterday. It's got a denim-like texture to it...definitely see why installers would like that over the smooth (aka slippery) Firestone.

I have old white 4" K style gutters, and wasn't planning on replacing them, but since these existing gutters mount to the roof deck, and Tesla adds their own metal that wraps around the base of the deck to the fascia to facilitate proper drainage, new gutters are in order. Also it was explained that water will come off the solar roof much quicker, so seemed like getting deeper gutters was the way to go to prevent any overflowing.

We're gonna go for new, and taller, black facia-style gutters that will pretty much cover up the facia board, whereas the existing one only covered up about half of it. Would have never considered black gutters, but I think it will look nice with the all black roof.

RemoteMediaFile_6553630_0_2020_12_22_15_11_20 (1).jpeg

Reactions: Akikiki and jboy210
The roofing sub tore off the roof at the end of last week, put on the new decking over the skip sheathing, and then the last 2 days have been finishing the decking, fixing some dry rot, and then underlayment & flashing. I think the roof prep will extend another day.

Was originally getting the Firestone underlayment (2 pallets were in the driveway), but they showed up with Colbalt yesterday. It's got a denim-like texture to it...definitely see why installers would like that over the smooth (aka slippery) Firestone.

I have old white 4" K style gutters, and wasn't planning on replacing them, but since these existing gutters mount to the roof deck, and Tesla adds their own metal that wraps around the base of the deck to the fascia to facilitate proper drainage, new gutters are in order. Also it was explained that water will come off the solar roof much quicker, so seemed like getting deeper gutters was the way to go to prevent any overflowing.

We're gonna go for new, and taller, black facia-style gutters that will pretty much cover up the facia board, whereas the existing one only covered up about half of it. Would have never considered black gutters, but I think it will look nice with the all black roof.

View attachment 620236
Great to see the progress! And good thing they got the underlayment on before the projected rain Thursday.

Reactions: funkadelic
Congrats! I won’t get mine installed until mid February. I see that you have white windows and garage trim, why would you opt for black gutters? Are you going with Acme for gutters? You think the black will blend in better with the Tesla glass? I would be interested to see the effect since I am planning to go with white gutters as I have white trim on everything.

Congrats! I won’t get mine installed until mid February. I see that you have white windows and garage trim, why would you opt for black gutters? Are you going with Acme for gutters? You think the black will blend in better with the Tesla glass? I would be interested to see the effect since I am planning to go with white gutters as I have white trim on everything.

i had never considered it (and always thought the gutters should match the trim like you noted), but the tesla PMs all mentioned that the roof looks nice w/black gutters. That's when I started paying attention to the gutters in my neighborhood and realized that people actually have non-white gutters. Neighbor around the corner has a traditional asphalt shingle black roof with black gutters, which kind of won me over:

Google_Earth_Pro.png

Seen other gutters in the neighborhood that match the roof color, and they all look pretty nice. Wife hasn't asked if I am out of my mind yet, so will photoshop my old gutters and roof black and check with her again before moving forward with black :)

Not going with Acme. They were the ones listed in my roof docs, but heard that Tesla doesn't use them anymore (problems?). Anyways, someone up the street was changing their gutters over the weekend so I asked the gutter guy to come by and give me a quote, and it seemed reasonable.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
From the picture of your neighbor’s house it appears they use white downspouts? I would love black gutters but black downspouts would stand out too much against other white trims of the house, it might work if I use black and white combination. Would you mind sharing the result once it is completed and also the roofer doing the gutters?

I also went with black gutters (and had the fascias painted black where there would be gutters, the other fascias matched the house color, Tesla had to replace all of the fascia boards so they painted all of them), with downspouts that matched the house color for all but one that was against a darker pole, that one matches the pole color (the gutter colors Tesla offered had good matches to both colors). The last pictures in my album (link in signature) are with the gutters, really happy with how they turned out.

From the picture of your neighbor’s house it appears they use white downspouts? I would love black gutters but black downspouts would stand out too much against other white trims of the house, it might work if I use black and white combination. Would you mind sharing the result once it is completed and also the roofer doing the gutters?

here it is with black gutters

IMG_2135__1_.jpg