Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roof install (New underlayment)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am posting since we are in the process if getting a 10kw solar roof installed on our roof with Tesla's new underlayment. I was unaware of the change from the Firestone product until the crew started installing the underlayment. I was assured by the crew lead and PM that the new product is as good as the previous product in weather and fire protection. We have just had heavy rains today in SoCal so I guess we will see if this new product passes the test. Currently there are no signs of leaks that I can see. Pictures and videos to follow.

Here are a few pictures of the underlayment. The crew will be back tomorrow to hopefully start the tile install.
DJI_0001.JPG
DJI_0002.JPG

Reactions: TSleuths
Is it the Cobalt underlayment mentioned by @MXDogCrate here: Solar Roof Underlayment Change? ?

I'm scheduled for tear-down and underlayment install next week and am curious to see what gets installed (wondering if there will be differences between the install process for west coast and east coast).
Are they using a Telsa in house crew or sub contracting it out? We initially had sub contractors scheduled, but they canceled on us the day of the tear off. Tesla ended up sending its own crew for the tear down. I hope you have a smooth process! Just remember to be flexible. This is obviously a new product for them and they are still ironing out a lot of details around the installation process.

The install of the Cobalt looks really good. None of the puckering that @marty2112 and I had. Especially with dew, moisture and the colder weather, you’ll be glad to have the new Cobalt. Only one layer required. No slipping around by your crew on the roof. Keep posting pics. Have a good install!

Are they using a Telsa in house crew or sub contracting it out?

My understanding is that my tear-down and underlayment install is subcontracted out, but the glass install is Tesla. I just learned last week that the tear-down subcontractor is different from the one others in the MD/DC/NoVA area have gotten. Hoping it all works out. The weather here has been amazing for the past week, but rain is coming later in the week when my tear-down starts :(.

My understanding is that my tear-down and underlayment install is subcontracted out, but the glass install is Tesla. I just learned last week that the tear-down subcontractor is different from the one others in the MD/DC/NoVA area have gotten. Hoping it all works out. The weather here has been amazing for the past week, but rain is coming later in the week when my tear-down starts :(.
I hope they push back your tear down if the rains are coming! The last thing you want is for them to remove your existing roof and then leave you with tarps and plastic on your roof as a bandaid.

I will have new pictures uploaded tomorrow. Powerwall crew is scheduled for tomorrow and a delivery of tiles should be in Thursday.

I hope Tesla is able to move to an all in-house tear off and install process soon.

Honestly I’m not sure that they ever will. I’m sure they don’t want to be paying their solar roof installers to be doing tear off and they probably don’t want to be hiring a whole new tear off crew either. The tear off is reasonably unskilled labor and probably easier and cheaper for them to sub out.

Honestly I’m not sure that they ever will. I’m sure they don’t want to be paying their solar roof installers to be doing tear off and they probably don’t want to be hiring a whole new tear off crew either. The tear off is reasonably unskilled labor and probably easier and cheaper for them to sub out.
I would agree, with the only caveat being that if they are using the contractors also to do the underlayment (which does make sense as they need to get that on quickly after tearing off the old roof) and if they are finding quality concerns, it may be easier to bring it all in-house, rather than coordinate a Tesla crew with a sub-contractor. Since Tesla warrants the roof against leaks for 25 years, there is a good reason for them to ensure the underlayment is installed correctly.

Looks like the racks are going up around the house in anticipation of a solar tile deliver this week! Underlayment process is completed and Tesla gave their approval to move on with solar glass install. I will update you all once the tiles are being installed.
DJI_0022.JPG
DJI_0027.JPG
DJI_0022.JPG
DJI_0028.JPG
DJI_0034.JPG
DJI_0040.JPG

Reactions: jjrandorin
I hope Tesla is able to move to an all in-house tear off and install process soon.
Tesla wants to move the other way, having local roofing contractors trained to do the complete install. On ours, the crew was 1/2 Tesla employees and 1/2 a local roofing contractor. The Tesla guys were watching the contractors like a hawk and supervising their work. The flat out told us the plan was to get more roofing contractors certified to do installs and provide after installation support for the roof component. In fact, when one of the gutters had an issue I called the roofing contractor and they came out to fix it with no Tesla personnel around.