Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof Installation Tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Circling back in a couple of items:

UNDERLAYMENT PUCKERING/BUBBLING
One of our leads checked and let us know he really wasn’t quite sure why that was happening and that they were rolling it flat, but that it is the material above the underlayment that is puckering, not the underpayment itself.

UNEVEN TILES
Our previous project lead has been promoted to a process improvement role over many projects. When he arrived as the crew was packing up, we had a conference about it. Could be the OSB or warping in the tiles. The ones that look the worst are probably PV. They will examine and replace if needed.

In addition to our “sip & search for sharp objects, we have taken to touring the work every evening. Don’t forget to look up (see picture).

These things I guess should be expected. It’s really hot up there these past few days and have been worried about the crew. We’re supplying a lot of Gatorade and salty snacks.

Yesterday our crew shrunk to 5-6, but Monday or Tuesday we could have as many as 20 they say. Wow .

Attachments

• CFF7EA51-3EAE-48C8-9B23-CE3A50324668.jpeg
    CFF7EA51-3EAE-48C8-9B23-CE3A50324668.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Circling back in a couple of items:

UNDERLAYMENT PUCKERING/BUBBLING
One of our leads checked and let us know he really wasn’t quite sure why that was happening and that they were rolling it flat, but that it is the material above the underlayment that is puckering, not the underpayment itself.

UNEVEN TILES
Our previous project lead has been promoted to a process improvement role over many projects. When he arrived as the crew was packing up, we had a conference about it. Could be the OSB or warping in the tiles. The ones that look the worst are probably PV. They will examine and replace if needed.

In addition to our “sip & search for sharp objects, we have taken to touring the work every evening. Don’t forget to look up (see picture).

These things I guess should be expected. It’s really hot up there these past few days and have been worried about the crew. We’re supplying a lot of Gatorade and salty snacks.

Yesterday our crew shrunk to 5-6, but Monday or Tuesday we could have as many as 20 they say. Wow .

What is above the underlayment?

Here is a close up of the overlay next to a piece of regular paper to compare thickness. The protective underlayment is black and the grey layer tops the black sticky surface so it can be easily placed and provides traction for the workers. It’s the grey material that is puckering above the black underlayment.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Attachments

• BFB3386A-0E29-484C-9541-61319F186E85.png
    BFB3386A-0E29-484C-9541-61319F186E85.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 148
Day #9....

All good so far. These guys are doing a great job. Progress on transitioning the new inverters and tying into the new glass.

Neighbors have been taking picks so I'll share from across the street.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.06.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.06.32 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.07.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.07.32 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.08.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.08.02 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.09.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.09.01 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.09.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.09.38 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 137
Day 19 - crew was hoping to be finished today, but the lead let us know they would be here next week. We’re in the final stretch. This crew is routinely arriving at 7:30-7:45am and leaving at 7pm. They’re terrific.

Have been hunting for pictures of Solar Roofs intersections. We asked about the blank and uneven areas over the front window and they said that’s the way it needs to be for rain. If anyone has pics of intersecting roofs and solar panels, it would help my understanding.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 5515DFF8-8B59-4DC7-ADFB-56D6A381CC85.jpeg
    5515DFF8-8B59-4DC7-ADFB-56D6A381CC85.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 136
4518F6A1-2F7C-417B-92DC-77F10635262E.jpeg
Day 19 - crew was hoping to be finished today, but the lead let us know they would be here next week. We’re in the final stretch. This crew is routinely arriving at 7:30-7:45am and leaving at 7pm. They’re terrific.

Have been hunting for pictures of Solar Roofs intersections. We asked about the blank and uneven areas over the front window and they said that’s the way it needs to be for rain. If anyone has pics of intersecting roofs and solar panels, it would help my understanding.

Many thanks!

Here is an intersection on my roof. They spent a lot of time getting this part done right.

I remember reading in a post on this board that it might be a good idea to ask if one could hold some inactive and PV tiles for when Tesla goes to Version 3 for and our solar tiles are discontinued for repairs, etc. Any thoughts on this? The crew is starting to pack up today.

I remember reading in a post on this board that it might be a good idea to ask if one could hold some inactive and PV tiles for when Tesla goes to Version 3 for and our solar tiles are discontinued for repairs, etc. Any thoughts on this? The crew is starting to pack up today.
Tesla is on the hang to support the system for 25 years. I thought about grabbing a few tiles but decided to pass.

Roof is complete! It looks amazing. Crew did a fantastic job and really worked well together (~5 of the them were on their first job). Total of 12 days (not including tear off).

I have a couple questions that I sent to the PM. They finished on a Saturday and missed talking to the crew lead.

1. What is the concensus on cleaning the tiles after completion. I'm still waiting on gutters, so may be a smart idea to wait until they are installed.
2. Any advice on getting the app to work correctly?

Still finding nails and screws....

We are sill working on windows, siding, stone and trim. Getting closer....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.20.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.20.38 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.20.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.20.51 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.21.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.21.05 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5894.PNG
    IMG_5894.PNG
    397.8 KB · Views: 108
1. What is the concensus on cleaning the tiles after completion. I'm still waiting on gutters, so may be a smart idea to wait until they are installed.

Looks nice - definitely a more complicated roof than we had, so interesting to see how they handled some of the more complex valleys and other features. It makes sense to get them cleaned, though probably worth it to wait for the gutters. (Out here, out installers correctly told us not to bother as rain would take care of it, but I know that a lot of CA does not tend to get rain with the frequency we do here.) Plus, after the gutters, there will probably be more screws and scrap - in our case, the gutter installers were nowhere near as thorough cleaning up (not that Tesla was perfect, but much better.)

On the app, you may need to call Tesla if the installers have left. It seems like maybe they setup your PWs as a separate product from your roof (and somehow gave you two of those.) They may have somehow recorded them improperly, but I would expect they should be merged together. Does the PW link show all four icons - solar, grid, home, and PW - or is solar missing?

Have you hooked up the black Tesla Solar Gateway? I was wondering if one of your solar roof products would show data from the Solar Gateway rather than from the Energy Gateway. As far as I know, I cannot see data from the Solar Gateway (not that it should be any different) and the app data I receive is from the Energy Gateway.

Roof is complete! It looks amazing. Crew did a fantastic job and really worked well together (~5 of the them were on their first job). Total of 12 days (not including tear off).

I have a couple questions that I sent to the PM. They finished on a Saturday and missed talking to the crew lead.

The house is looking great! Looks like the team did a nice job.

And I love the "still finding nails and screws". I am getting the roof washed and gutters cleaned tomorrow. I need to tell the team to be careful when they put their hands in the gutters because I know from my drone overflights that at least one gutter has nails, screws, and metal scraps.

On the app, it worked before they left. Did they ensure your Gateway is connected to your Ethernet/Wifi? If so, can you see it from your router? Mine did NOT have "TEG" in the name as it says in Tesla documents. Instead, it had TG in the middle of the name, such as "12345-888-TG123-333". I was able to log into the IP address associated with this name. If you can get that far, then it may be something on Tesla's end that needs to get setup.

Last edited:
Five cases of Gatorade, four cases of water, six cases of snacks, six dozen donuts and we’re finally finished on Day #20 including tear off, 16 days excluding tear off.

One of the crew had a fuzzy mop looking tool that he was putting in and out of the gutters. He said it was to get the metal scraps out.

I haven’t posted final pics yet because they’re here today to snapping a shingle back in near the fireplace (still don’t love the finish work up there) and the roof is very dusty due to Santa Ana’s blowing ash off the burn areas from the Bobcat Fire and maybe a landscaping job a couple doors up. It’s so dusty, there are visible patches of brown on the roof.

Our two leads came back yesterday to do some fine tuning and surprise, the inspector is coming today! Tesla has two guys out here now prepping as it’s the first approval for the County office. They’re using it as a teach-in for County building inspectors and the fire department, so apparently, there will be a large group in the backyard.

Congrats, @marty2112. Looks great! Your valleys definitely look better than mine. Our leads said something about Tesla policy and it needing so many inches.

@marty2112 What type of gutters are you putting on?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Five cases of Gatorade, four cases of water, six cases of snacks, six dozen donuts and we’re finally finished on Day #20 including tear off, 16 days excluding tear off.

One of the crew had a fuzzy mop looking tool that he was putting in and out of the gutters. He said it was to get the metal scraps out.

I haven’t posted final pics yet because they’re here today to snapping a shingle back in near the fireplace (still don’t love the finish work up there) and the roof is very dusty due to Santa Ana’s blowing ash off the burn areas from the Bobcat Fire and maybe a landscaping job a couple doors up. It’s so dusty, there are visible patches of brown on the roof.

Our two leads came back yesterday to do some fine tuning and surprise, the inspector is coming today! Tesla has two guys out here now prepping as it’s the first approval the County office. They’re using it as a teach-in for County building inspectors and the fire department, so apparently, there will be a large group in the backyard.

Congrats, @marty2112. Looks great! Your valleys definitely look better than mine. Our leads said something about Tesla policy and it needing so many inches.

You should have a keg out back to ensure that you pass inspection, or at least get a drunk signature on the inspection form.

Also, my roof is brown and dusty also. We are getting it washed tomorrow. I think we are going to have to have it cleaned at least twice a year unless we all of a sudden start getting more rain.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MXDogCrate
This is my biggest issue. Our Solar Roof is going on a barn. Nothing worse than a horse that embeds a nail or screw into its hoof.

When we built the barn the workers were very careful about discarding screws and nails but there was still some. So just like then, I plan on using a big magnet to scan the surrounding area and then follow up with a metal detector for the non obvious ones.

barn.png