Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof Installs On Hold? Lead Time on Solar Panel Installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have to abandon installing the Tesla Solar Roof on my home. After fighting with my HOA to get it approved (required letter from an attorney) and pulling permits back in February, my Solar Advisor informed all Solar Roof installations were on hold due to a shortage of some parts (global supply chain issues). Latest info is that they won't start up again until at least Q3 or Q4 of this year. I remodeled my home and am missing part of my roof so I can't delay installation indefinitely. Has anyone on this forum installed a Solar Roof this year? Any other info on the cause of the delays or level of certainty for the parts becoming available?

On a related note, what sort of lead time are people experiencing on installation of traditional Tesla solar panel systems? How long from signing a contract to installation and/or powering on the system? I realize that the last part is highly dependent on the local power company but I'm trying to figure out timing so I get the higher tax credit this year (26%) instead of next year (22%).

TIA on both fronts.

I'm in kind of a similar situation where my needs to be replaced. It was very hard to get my homeowners insurance renewed last year and the current policy will be cancelled in June if I don't get a new roof. I ordered a Tesla solar roof and 2 Powerwalls in September 2021. Also had to do some push with my HOA to get it approved. A couple of months after HOA approval Tesla submitted the permit application with my city (Dec 2021) - some parts of the permit were approved and some were denied - latest permit status is corrections are required from Tesla since 01/04/2022 and that's where it completely stopped. I followed up several times by phone and by email. My PA was changed 4 times since I placed the order and there wasn't really a lot of interest from either one of them. The last one said that there are delays due to shortage of parts and that they don't know when the project would continue. I waited 2 more months after that last communication and cancelled my order one month ago and hired another company to do my roof and solar panels.

Would have loved to have a Tesla roof as I am in an "ideal" situation where my roof needs to be replaced and I decided to add solar, but the wait times and customer service are not great at the moment.

Reactions: David 90274
I may have to abandon installing the Tesla Solar Roof on my home. After fighting with my HOA to get it approved (required letter from an attorney) and pulling permits back in February, my Solar Advisor informed all Solar Roof installations were on hold due to a shortage of some parts (global supply chain issues). Latest info is that they won't start up again until at least Q3 or Q4 of this year. I remodeled my home and am missing part of my roof so I can't delay installation indefinitely. Has anyone on this forum installed a Solar Roof this year? Any other info on the cause of the delays or level of certainty for the parts becoming available?

On a related note, what sort of lead time are people experiencing on installation of traditional Tesla solar panel systems? How long from signing a contract to installation and/or powering on the system? I realize that the last part is highly dependent on the local power company but I'm trying to figure out timing so I get the higher tax credit this year (26%) instead of next year (22%).

TIA on both fronts.
Here in NorCal Tesla solar is extremely backed up. They have well over a hundred orders in the queue in my local area (East Bay) with everyone trying to get under the credit cut-off and also the specter of bad NEM3 terms from PG&E. And like many companies are suffering from a lack of people wanting to work, especially on hot roofs during the summer. They seem to be prioritizing the quick panel installs versus weeks-long Solarroofs to get the most installs completed in the shortest amount of time.

They have what I used tell my teams is the "good problem". Too much demand for the people we had.

Suburb of Seattle here. I ordered solar panels and two Powerwalls around September 2021. The remote site survey came quickly, and I am getting fewer panels than I hoped for because in this area we have Craftsman houses with convoluted roofs and lots of sewer vents taking up room. Installation was projected for mid-December 2021. Then it was cancelled. No new date yet, although the local utility company sent me some forms to fill out about a month ago. I check the website every few days but no news. Frustrating.

Put my order in August of 2020, still waiting. Getting the same message, supply chain issues. They had been pointing a finger at the utility, but changed to supply chain issues once I confirmed with the utility they had no blockers in place. My order is part of the original batch that they under-quoted, they did increase the price on my order as they did with others. Once I asked them to return to the original quoted price, they did. My concern is that they are in a waiting game now hoping I will cancel the order. Will see…

I'm also in this group - Order from March 2020.

They are finally admitting there are supply shortages, but I also suspect they are playing a waiting game hoping people will cancel the order.

Not sure if there is any path to escalation, although I would think the signed contract has to be worth something.

Also people keep saying their install crews are backed up etc - but that should not affect back end people as much. Like why does a redesign take 6 months, interconnect takes forever and so on.

Had the solar roof and accessory structure recently installed, went smooth but the change in engineering on the electrical side delayed the PTO by about 6-7 months. But overall I had a positive experience with the process, however I have some understanding of working with any blockers during the process.

Had the solar roof and accessory structure recently installed, went smooth but the change in engineering on the electrical side delayed the PTO by about 6-7 months. But overall I had a positive experience with the process, however I have some understanding of working with any blockers during the process.
How long was the actual wait from the point all of your paperwork was approved (permits, electric, etc) to the point they started installation?

I'm in central Florida. Ordered panels and a powerwall back in April, site visit around early June and informed at the time install is fast after permits are approved. Permit approved within a week. Install set for late August and it just got pushed back to September by Tesla citing lack of available crews. So not exactly optimistic that this won't get pushed again and again if they have supply issues. Also power company didn't have to or want to approve anything until after the city's final inspection.

How long was the actual wait from the point all of your paperwork was approved (permits, electric, etc) to the point they started installation?
About 1 year from initial deposit, planning, permit, scheduling and install. Install was Jan-2021 for roof, May for PowerWall, July for electrical panel upgrades and PTO was Late-Dec 2021, but the major delay was electrical. I had 120v and needed 240v, glad the cable connected to PGE was already to size or I would need to spend a lot more on upgrading the cable.

Initial deposit was September 2021- we booked a re-roof project, but were moved over to custom builds after we opted to do a small addition on the house. In August, our PA was saying "October or November, but I feel more confident saying by the end of the year". That has now changed to "The roof will be installed in the new year, will have more information ONCE WE START SCHEDULING again." At this point, I really need the roof, but refuse to cancel out of spite. We will get this thing.