Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof: odd question about birds hiding nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm scheduled to get a Solar Roof installed. I currently have an old shake roof that has been damaged by birds occasionally pecking at it -- hiding nuts and/or retrieving nuts. I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues like that after their solar roof installation?

I am assuming the wood shake shingles I currently have are more attractive to the animals and hopefully they'll go away when they find they can't peck as easily at the solar glass roof. But I'm sort of going on that by faith. Anyone have any experience or insights about something like this?

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money and then have animals screwing up the shingles or the electrical connections or something.

Thank you for any opinions, experience, or educated guesses.

I have lots of birds around the house from little chickadees to hawks but the only ones pecking away to store and retrieve nuts are woodpeckers, I have some tall pine trees in back of the house so those are their prime choice for pecking even when I had the old shingle roof. Not sure if they would like the solar roof better than pine trees but I think they will get very frustrated, they may still cause little dents/scratches to the glass roof if they try hard enough, I'm sure they would not get through the glass to the wiring. Also, if you are still waiting for installation I think only your solar cell tiles are glass, all other tiles are steel so it may frustrate the poor birds even more.

Reactions: Carl_Drogo
So far so good. We have a 60-foot oak tree and 7-8 50-foot pines border the house and so far I have not seen any birds or squirrels up on the solarroof in the 1 1/2 years we have had it. We do trim the pines back so the gap from the branches would make it challenging for a squirrel to jump to the roof. The wiring is under the tiles so hard to access from the outside.

Also, the tiles are pretty thick glass, so any bird would more likely to penetrate a window versus the surface of a tile.

Reactions: Carl_Drogo